X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

http://www.ebay.de/itm/MAC-Carbon-Ai...05%26rk%3D2%26

Comment

geoff steel racing are offering their carbon airbox for S50B32 (E36 M3 engine) for approx £600 (check that figure on the thread, as its from memory!) in a group buy of 10 or more on the M3cutters forum

http://forums.m3cutters.co.uk/showthread.php?t=56404

was also doing a group buy on S54 ones too (not sure if these GSR boxes will fit in an MC, but worth an ask at those prices?!)

both group buys are mentioned in that thread somewhere

Click here to email me

Comment

Masterpiece for my Z3M Coupe. I'll buy it but never be sure of Alpha-N tune here :S
          I'm not a clown but the shoe is ///Mine
          sigpic

Estoril/Estoril/black, B&M SSK, 6Spd S6S-420G, Strong Strut, R.Forbes sub-frame kit & RE dual ear diff cover, Supersprint Race Headers & Resonators & DTM Cat-backs, Bilstein B6 Sport, BBS RC 301 & 303 8.5/10x18" wheels, Alcon Mono6 355mm Front & Mono4 332mm Rear Full Floating BBK, Pro Ramp Variable Lock %75 LSD

Comment

S54,

Comment

This looks well done with the carbon shield and air intake,

Comment

Following on from Cemalakcal's link in the picture thread..

This looks very interesting. retains the factory MAF sensor so I assume it runs standard management.

Quality and heat sheilding look very good too.

http://carbonem.unblog.fr/bmw-z3/

For any French speakers,

http://www.bmwz3club.fr/forum/viewto...p?f=24&t=18035
                KW V3, H&R arbs, H&R 12mm Spacers, Weichers Strut Brace, Ireland Engineering Bushes, Uprated rear top mounts,swapped front top mounts, EBC Yellows, Simota CAI, Supersprint Exhaust, Shadow chrome Roadstars

Comment

Nice, any idea on the price
                  BMW e21 track car
                  Z3M (S62)
                  2.8 Z3 Coupe
                  Ariel Atom
                  GT86 race car
                  Ferrari 348 Challenge
                  Merc G500

Comment

Although the carbon box looks nice, I bet it makes less power than OEM. Are there any performance figures for it?
                    /// Exdos ///
                    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

No prices or performance info unfortunately. I can't find very much information on it bar the website.

Most race s50's / s54's are running carbon air boxes of a similar design ( although on seperate management with maf delete) I think the heat sheild and air deflector on this will also help.
                      KW V3, H&R arbs, H&R 12mm Spacers, Weichers Strut Brace, Ireland Engineering Bushes, Uprated rear top mounts,swapped front top mounts, EBC Yellows, Simota CAI, Supersprint Exhaust, Shadow chrome Roadstars

Comment

Originally posted by UJM3 View Post
                        Most race s50's / s54's are running carbon air boxes of a similar design ( although on seperate management with maf delete) I think the heat sheild and air deflector on this will also help.
                        The reason why I think this design will lose power, is down to 3 things.
                        1. The photo below shows the interior of the airbox and the way that the trumpets are located would suggest that the airflow of the front cylinders will be favoured, particularly at high flow rates at high rpms, whereas the OEM air plenum has a centrally located inlet duct, which tends to give more even airflow to all 6 cylinders.

2. The intake into the airbox is the same size as OEM, as shown by the use of the screens before the MAF in the photo below, so there is no benefit from a bigger less restricted air intake operating under Alpha-n management.

3. The shield around the airbox doesn't create a seal as shown by the big gap behind the MAF sensor in the photo below. As such the intake doesn't benefit from the ram-effect because the intake isn't a sealed system.

The OEM air intake really is an excellent design for performance, especially with a few specific mods and a more free flowing exhaust.
                        /// Exdos ///
                        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

They are vaild arguments alright..

Though I do think it would be next to impossible to create a full seal at the cone due to the fact the airbox is rigid and ethier the airbox or the sheild would crack as the engine moves as it comes on / off power with the heat sheild being fixed to the body. Unless a rubber boot connected the cone as the oem airbox connects to the air filter unit.

The M3 CSL oem airbox has no sheild and is more or less open to the engine bay, the inlet is at least 3 times the size of a maf unit though.

I also wonder why they desinged the interior of the air box with the trumpets in such a way. It would of been easier for the manufacturing process to leave them flat.

I am trying to find some more information on the product , not having much luck though.
                          Last edited by UJM3; 27-12-2012, 03:06 PM.

Comment

Though I do think it would be next to impossible to create a full seal at the cone due to the fact the airbox is rigid and ethier the airbox or the sheild would crack as the engine moves as it comes on / off power with the heat sheild being fixed to the body. Unless a rubber boot connected the cone as the oem airbox connects to the air filter unit.
                            They could use a rubber collar, attached to the shield which would stretch to allow the MAF part of the airbox to pass through; a bit like a collar on a diving suit. Also, a closed box around a filter will work better than a cone filter in an unsealed space, otherwise you're losing ram pressure which improves engine Volumetric Efficiency (VE) at higher speeds. In the case of the S54 MC, with an OEM air-intake system, it will operate at a VE of up to 106%, but with some mods, it can operate at even greater VE. I expect the S50 MC is very similar. IMO, unless an aftermarket intake can provably improve the VE, they're pointless.

The M3 CSL oem airbox has no sheild and is more or less open to the engine bay, the inlet is at least 3 times the size of a maf unit though.
                            The inlet of the CSL airbox lies low down and behind the hole in the front bumper so captures cold air and benefits from ram effect. Once the air enters the airbox it's in there under ram pressure, whatever that is, which is dependent upon vehicle speed and engine consumption of the air within the airbox.

I also wonder why they desinged the interior of the air box with the trumpets in such a way. It would of been easier for the manufacturing process to leave them flat.
                            The length of the intake trumpets (i.e. the runners) is critical to cylinder filling, so I suspect that they may be maintaining the OEM length, but not made the airbox deep enough at the far end?
                            Last edited by exdos; 27-12-2012, 03:47 PM. Reason: more info
                            /// Exdos ///

Comment

CSL airbox on S54 Coupe,

http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum....php?t=1729846

Comment

thread with carbon airbox and power graph,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=6195

Comment

Working...
                                X