• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Recommended mods for z3mc

Would like to know which mods are a good upgrade on these cars
    Handling - suspension, ARBs etc
    Braking
    Engine - to squeeze a little extra out

I really, really would leave it standard. Too much of a collectors car now.

Spending money is a double whammy. A. It will cost you. B. It will devalue your car.

But, if you want to mod it id fit an m5 v10 :)

Comment

Suspension has got to be changed IMO, even just uprated dampers can improve handling with stock springs.

Uprated anti roll bars also massively improve handling.

I would say mild suspension upgrades don't devalue the car, my car has ACS springs which were, at the time, a BMW accessory.

Comment

I first changed the suspension for BC Racing coilovers, the car would understeer when I first purchased it.
        Secondly I put H@R antiroll bars on, great mod, car is really tight now and corners excellent.
        It came with ACS pedals and quickshift.
        Simota carbon fibre air box.
        I put some AP Racing 4 pot calipers on, what a difference.
        I also put a ACS exhaust on.
        New tyres made a huge difference.
        New clutch, refreshed all oils, engine, gearbox and diff.

Depending on how far you'd like to go really, I've kept all the original parts I took off so can always put back to standard for the "purist who just want's to polish it"......

I was thinking of putting a 6 speed gearbox and lower diff in but i'm driving it less and less these days.
        Last edited by Peter G; 08-09-2016, 05:56 AM.
        2000 BMW Z3M COUPE.
        2006 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo.
        07 Volvo V70 D5
        1972 Suzuki Gt750J.
        1972 Suzuki Gt550J.

Some of my old cars.........http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/gman69/library/CARS

Comment

I would fit H&R arbs maybe look at some uprated front pads like EBC yellowstuff new uprated suspension if car still has original fitted.

Comment

I would second what Mr P has said above you would notice a difference for sure !

Comment

IMO, BMW didn't quite get the car right.

Of my mods, the essential ones needed to correct the BMW mistakes are H & R ARBs and stiffer suspension. BMW seem to have designed the car to suit US buyers, where they like a soft suspension and don't worry about going around corners because there aren't many.

The other mods are just my personal taste, but I wouldn't change any of them!
              Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                IMO, BMW didn't quite get the car right.

Of my mods, the essential ones needed to correct the BMW mistakes are H & R ARBs and stiffer suspension. BMW seem to have designed the car to suit US buyers, where they like a soft suspension and don't worry about going around corners because there aren't many.

The other mods are just my personal taste, but I wouldn't change any of them!
                Nail on the head.

I really, really would leave it standard. Too much of a collectors car now.

Spending money is a double whammy. A. It will cost you. B. It will devalue your car.

But, if you want to mod it id fit an m5 v10 :)

A price is hard to place on fulfilling ownership enjoyment - whether owners travel 1k a year or 10k. By outlaying £340 for said H&R roll bars significantly heightens each cherished mile and that for me aligns with what an M Coupe is all about. An emotion driven vehicle be it stationary or driven.

I would say it is a collectable car and not just a 'collectors car'. Thankfully they are still bought by informed enthusiasts who are keen to add miles. Personally, I am not sure there is anything wrong with spending ones earned money improving the weak dynamics or adding a louder exhaust, for example.

Fundamentally the Coupe is superb all-rounder, but with a few tweaks here and there you will release what a manufacturer in the 90s couldn't sign off for production.

Last edited by KnightsG; 09-09-2016, 10:28 PM.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

The other thing is that because so many of us have done the same mods, those mods become almost official and accepted ways to improve the car IMO. Like the H&R bars, maybe B8 dampers.

Comment

As many know, I am a great fan of using the car as designed, don't care much about residuals. That said, the standard car is fine for me, kept well maintained with one or two "road mods" ie centre armrest, Becker satnav. Hasn't been on a track but the roads where I live and travel to do not encourage firmer suspension, lowered ride height etc. Function before form, likely different if track days or concerns about "look" were a priority I expect.

At the end of the day, it's your car, do what you want with it!! If you view the car as an investment, best leave standard and don't use it.
                    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

As you can see there's a pretty strong following for modding certain aspects of the car and a fair consensus on which options to take.

I'm with Ian for the most part. I've spent nearly 2k refreshing the suspension and a few other things - almost all with OEM and I'm very pleased with that route. It's all person pref of course.

Whatever you do, they're great cars to own and even just look at in the garage (if you've got one).
                      I've never regretted owning it for a moment and I love mine more now than any time in the last 10 yrs I've had it.
                      S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

I would see if you like the way a standard car drives and then if you want something different then start the mods, first arbs then shocks/springs as this will make a massive difference to the handling over standard,

fast road pads are also a must for anything other than normal road speeds and braking.

Engine mods are limited without spending a good amount of money on better induction and tune to match but just a filter change is only about £40 as a start.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                          I would see if you like the way a standard car drives and then if you want something different then start the mods
                          Totally agree with Dave on this. I drove three unmodified cars before buying one fitted with ACS suspension and options instead - all depends what type of drive you're looking for. I love what I consider to be the more exciting feel of the drive on ACS suspension.
                          Last edited by Fat Tony; 14-09-2016, 05:21 PM.
                          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Air intake (if you really must) but other engine mods waste of time.

Comment

Working...
                            X