No announcement yet.

My Imola Red S50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Had my first little issue with the car the other day. Nipped out with the dog and stopped at the shops, came out and started the car and it wouldn't idle properly and felt like it was about to stall with the revs dipping down to 500. Now before this the car had been idling perfectly between 700-800 so was a bit worrying. After pulling away it didn't happen again until I stopped the engine, then after driving and stopping at traffic lights the idle would seem alright but then would start rising on its own up to around 1400 and it seemed like you could hear a faint popping from the exhaust. all this started happening randomly from then on.

Did a bit of research on the forums and decided to check the little rubber cap on a t-piece which is part of the vacumn hoses, it was there but split and broken.

Anyway, I decided while I was at it i might aswell replace some of the other hoses, unfortunately none of these were in stock and had to be ordered in but i could get the cap. To cut a long story short I fitted the cap and cleaned the Idle Control Valve, which didn't look dirty at all really but after a good spray with carb cleaner was definitely moving a lot more freely. Took the car for a quick drive and problem solved, has been running fine since and even feels a bit smoother overall but that may just be in my head

Only 96p for the cap, £5.99 for a can of carb cleaner and a few hours of my time (most of which was struggling to get access to jubilee clips to remove hoses) so pretty pleased overall.

picture of where the cap goes (this can be seen just by removing the elbow that goes into the airbox)

Where the idle control valve sits

Idle control valve (not a very good picture)

Comment

On trial fitting my airbox I discovered the 96p rubber bung was a long way past its best on mine as well.

Hadn't noticed any erratic idle yet but it was nice to get it sorted!

Comment

Some good shots of the offender, should help us all when they start deteriorating with age!
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

These little caps can throw up all sorts of problems along with the need to remove the plenum etc its just a pain! mine now has a small bolt inserted along with a small jubilee clip to secure,when i removed my own plenum to replace the icv and to clean that side of the engine i found a couple of squidgy hoses,i checked the cap and was still rock solid!

Comment

nipped out with the dog and stopped at the shops ? im impressed it kept up with the car !

Comment

I need to check this on mine - has anyone got the part number for the bung/cap

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                These little caps can throw up all sorts of problems along with the need to remove the plenum etc its just a pain! mine now has a small bolt inserted along with a small jubilee clip to secure,when i removed my own plenum to replace the icv and to clean that side of the engine i found a couple of squidgy hoses,i checked the cap and was still rock solid!
                Yeah a complete pain to get to, especially seeing as all the jubilee clips seemed to have been put on in the position which made them most difficult to undo. However, now i've done it once i think it shouldn't be too much bother next time.

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                I need to check this on mine - has anyone got the part number for the bung/cap

From this thread
                http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showpo...16&postcount=1

Comment

cheers Alan

Comment

Dave pm me,and will send you mine..which i dont need,brand new..

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                      Dave pm me,and will send you mine..which i dont need,brand new..
                      Thanks for the offer Mel but already ordered with local dealer

Comment

Little bit of an update due.

Well the car was parked up for just over 2 months due to work and when i got back I found all the brakes seized with rust and the car refused to move. I thought it would have been alright as i chocked the car and left the handbrake off but obviously not. Some soapy water sprayed round the pads, a few knocks with a mallot and 5 minutes of rocking the car in forward and reverse got them free, a few miles of driving cleaned up the discs nicely until everything felt normal again.

The problem i have now is what seems like an intermittent sticking caliper. Started to hear a little rumbling yesterday, almost like a wheel bearing but at other times the noise wouldnt be there which i thought was strange. Then today the same noise randomly came back and with a wheel vibration that got so bad eventually I had to stop on the hard shoulder. The heat from the front left was noticeable straight away, the other discs i could quickly touch but the front left i wouldn't put my hand through the spokes, i then spent the rest of the journey trying not to use the brakes but strangely the vibration disappeared for a while then came back but not quite as bad.

Unsure of what to do next really, meant to be driving to the nurburgring for the grand prix next month so was going to get an inspection 1 done beforehand (2 service lights left), also going to need a set of tyres so more money on brakes isnt great.

Having never had this problem before im not sure how its going to affect the discs and pads? all the other brakes seem fine, even temperatures as far as i can tell, front discs look fine(think they were changed a few thousand miles before i bought the car), rear discs look a bit ropey but brakes feel fine when doing hard stops. My main worry is having a warped front disc.

Anyone had any similar problems?

Comment

I have had this happen to me,except it was drivers side...i have seen on here that removal and a good clean up of the caliper is fairly easy....however i replaced mine..the disc did not warp!

Comment

I might be alright disc wise then, havent done that many miles since getting home.

Planned on getting the wheel off and having a good look today but its pouring with rain and generally horrible.

After a bit more reading I'm thinking/hoping that its either rusted up pins that are sticking, pads sticking in the calliper due to corrosion or worst case the piston sticking due to dodgy seals.

Can pretty much rule out the brakes hoses breaking down as I had braided hoses fitted in march.

Comment

Looks like I found the cause, part of the dust seal had popped out so been letting water and dirt in which has rusted the piston.

Have cleaned it up a bit for now but couldnt get the dust seal fitted back fully so might be alright for a couple of days if its dry.

Have ordered a couple of refurbished calipers and new front pads as the current ones will be totally cooked and will rebuild the old ones as a sort of learning experience. Quite annoyed at having to spend the money but don't want to risk any problems my way to the nurburgring.....

Comment

seal fit from e32

Comment

Working...
                                X