Fame - Evo this month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fame - Evo this month

Hi - good article in Evo this month although it is a bit thin on content and does not mention this forum! Still their prices for s50 and s54s made me smile....

better not crash this winter..

My copy mentioned the forum under useful contacts!

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

There are some new copies for sale on ebay at the moment if anyone has struggled to get one at their newsagents like me.
      Last edited by Dave P; 07-12-2016, 02:18 PM.

Comment

For whoever would like the three pages I have them on a PDF attachment which I can email across.

Apparently evo made contact with the forum for the feature but had no response.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsG View Post
          Apparently evo made contact with the forum for the feature but had no response.

I get the emails redirected to me and there has been no contact from any magazine if there had been I would have responded as it would have been in the interest of the forum and its members.

Strange if they had no response that they still published our name in the useful contacts

Comment

An interesting article. Lasting impression is of low number of cars (especially S54) and interesting guide prices. Low availability coupled to rising demand generally equals increasing price.
            There aren't going to be many used as intended going forward, if the numbers are to be believed. This is a shame.
            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
              An interesting article. Lasting impression is of low number of cars (especially S54) and interesting guide prices. Low availability coupled to rising demand generally equals increasing price.
              There aren't going to be many used as intended going forward, if the numbers are to be believed. This is a shame.
              Bought mine to enjoy driving it Ian, and will continue to do so. Might have to find some better quality car parks in Leeds though... I'm starting to worry about leaving it when I nip in to town with all this coverage they're getting
              Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
              ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
              Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

I'm going to keep mine now and sell the Elan, house sold and got some barns now so i'm a happy bunny...
                2000 BMW Z3M COUPE.
                2006 Vauxhall VX220 Turbo.
                07 Volvo V70 D5
                1972 Suzuki Gt750J.
                1972 Suzuki Gt550J.

Some of my old cars.........http://s1168.photobucket.com/user/gman69/library/CARS

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                  I get the emails redirected to me and there has been no contact from any magazine if there had been I would have responded as it would have been in the interest of the forum and its members.

Strange if they had no response that they still published our name in the useful contacts
                  I insisted the forum be included in the feature.

Just going on what he said..don't shoot the messenger.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                    Bought mine to enjoy driving it Ian, and will continue to do so. Might have to find some better quality car parks in Leeds though... I'm starting to worry about leaving it when I nip in to town with all this coverage they're getting
                    Likewise, not too many in our club though!
                    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

PDFs emailed to all that requested.

Comment

I missed that! Just drove mine through Bristol and got 2 thumbs up at lights...it seems to get attention every time I go out now...

Comment

Picked up a copy in WH Smith at the weekend
                          1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Mention of Evo reminds me that my much missed MC (Y952 NBL) was an Evo long term test car back in 2001 prior to my ownership. For your enjoyment I've included below their running reports.

BMW M Coupe (Aug 2001)
                            A few days after our latest recruit to evo's long-term fast fleet arrived, a report landed on my desk announcing the winners of the 'International Engine of the Year 2001' awards. You want to know, don't you? Well, in third place was the Volkswagen group's 1.4-litre TDi engine (A2, VW Lupo, etc), second was BMW's 1.8-litre Valvetronic (318i Compact) but in first place was the 3.2-litre unit from the M3 and M Coupe, which, according to the judges, offered the perfect blend of speed, efficiency, refinement and drivability. Naturally we now feel duty-bound to embark on our own investigation and report on whether the awards committee was right. (Interestingly our regular road tester, David Vivian, reckons there's a real difference between the M3 and M Coupe versions of the same engine, apart from the 13bhp deficit in the M Coupe, which sounds to me like a very good excuse to get another M3 in again...)
                            Seems the M Coupe still divides opinion – mention its name and you're never sure what response you're going to get. While there are plenty who reckon it's one of BMW's best cars for evo types, others get very upset and reckon it should never have got past the drawing board. It's mainly the shape that doubters get upset about – they can't forgive it for looking so odd, pointing out it's the first car in history to be modelled on an old-fashioned running shoe. Well, I'm sorry, but there's nothing wrong with being individual. Especially if you happen to have the world's best engine up front, driving the rear wheels, in a very compact bodyshell, as anyone who actually drives the car will testify.
                            Our car looks particularly tasty in silver, with an all-black leather interior in place of the dubious two-tone leather option (it's even got cruise control and a top grade stereo system) so it wins full points for presentation before it turns a wheel. And turning a wheel was something it had done quite a lot even before it turned up outside Evo Towers for the first time; in the two weeks it had been on the road since it was first registered it had covered a whopping 2250 miles.
                            The cabin is really tiny compared with conventional cars. If you're over 6ft the electrically operated seat runners will hit the buffers before your legs really want them to and the steering wheel is not adjustable at all, but I've already completed several long hauls and comfort hasn't been a problem so I guess you just adjust to what's on offer. What you soon realise is there's very little storage space to shove clutter in; the glove box is just big enough to take yet another oversize BMW manual.
                            We're nit picking here. The M Coupe has already proved to be a hugely popular addition to the fleet and should be turning up at some of our evo Active days (see News) so you'll be able to have a ride in it as well.

BMW M Coupe (Sep 2001)
                            Having finally wrestled the M Coupe's keys from Harry's limpet-like grip, the last few weeks have been a real pleasure. The oddball Bee Em is a genuinely special car, especially finished in silver with an all-black interior, and it still makes me smile as I walk nonchalantly up to it, thumb the remote locking button and slide into one of the most individual cars on the road.
                            One of the first duties the M Coupe and I performed was attending an evo Active day at Bedford Autodrome. There was a fine selection of machinery present in the baking sunshine, including the usual gaggle of Caterhams, a couple of Strathcarrons, a spectacularly sideways 911 GT3 and an Impreza 22B on slicks. To my surprise there was also another M Coupe which, judging by the brake dust on its wheels, had clearly done a few laps before I arrived. According to its owner the stoppers are no match for hard circuit work.
                            Sure enough, three laps of the 3.6-mile GT circuit later, Y952 NBL's middle pedal goes alarmingly squishy. Disappointing for a car with such obvious sporting pretensions. Taking it easy for the rest of the afternoon, I rely on the slow-in-loads-of-smoke-and-opposite-lock-out technique. All great fun until a muted pop from the rear and a slight vibration force us to head to the paddock. Foolishly I had neglected to increase the tyre pressures to cope with such a hot day, and the right-hand rear tread pays the price. Stupid, stupid, stupid. The M Coupe now wears two spanking new rear Michelin Pilot Sports (at a fearsome £189 a piece), which I fully intend to pump-up and deflate religiously before and after each track day.
                            Although it's a long way from needing a service, I visited my local BMW dealer to replace the puncture repair mousse, which we used to rescue the 205 GTI in last month's cover story. Helpful, friendly and efficient, Sycamore's of Peterborough ordered the parts (£43.55) and delivered them within a week. When the M Coupe's service lights starts to blink I know where I'll be happy to take it.

BMW M Coupe (Nov 2001)
                            I usually relish the M Coupe's more hirsute handling attributes, but after inadvertently having a huge moment in it a few weeks back, I've begun to treat it with a bit more respect – especially now that the roads are getting more slippery.
                            I was making a fast, third-gear exit from a roundabout onto a dual carriageway, young Bovingdon in the passenger seat nursing a sackful of quarter pounders for the evo night- shift, when the M Coupe's hitherto hunkered-down tail snapped around in vicious fashion. Only a hasty McFlurry of opposite lock saved us from burying the Beemer's beak into the barriers.
                            I wouldn't have minded, but I hadn't touched the ASR traction control button. Subsequent experimentation has revealed that the system reins things in smartly at low speed but is slow to react to the 3.2-litre motor's ample power at higher speeds in slick conditions. Consequently you can find yourself looking out of the side window unexpectedly. Roll on winter. Not.
                            In a masochistic way, though, this is the essence of M Coupe motoring. It's raw, rough-edged and mighty, mighty quick. Its chassis is certainly crude in comparison to the iron-fisted M3, but there's a lot to be said for a car that keeps you on your toes. There isn't another evo long-termer I'd rather be running.

BMW M Coupe (Jan 2002)
                            With the M Coupe fresh from its first service it seemed a shame to leave it languishing in Stansted's long-stay car park for a week while we all headed for Italy and our annual eCOTY extravaganza. So it was all the more impressive to discover that despite spending prolonged periods in 500bhp+ supercars like the Zonda, Ruf and Murciélago, when I returned to the Bee-Em it still felt genuinely fast.
                            The contrast with the M3 was also fascinating. Though slightly down on power compared with the 3-series, the M Coupe feels more urgent (probably largely because it weighs 150kg less), but the engine also feels gruffer and more aggressive. Not quite sure why, but it certainly makes the M Coupe more of a sheer event to drive than the exceptionally talented but rather less in-yer-face M3. I wonder how the M Coupe would have faired at eCOTY?
                            I've commented before on the slow-reacting traction control system, and as the mornings and evenings become increasingly cold and damp, the M Coupe takes an increasingly steady right foot and an alert pair of hands to keep on the straight and narrow. You certainly don't feel free to squeeze more than half throttle out of a corner unless you're in fourth gear. Even Chee, evo's most timid and feather-footed wheelman, has had the Coupe's tail out of line (unintentionally).
                            Fuel economy continues to impress, with 25mpg easily attainable if you reserve the adrenalin-pumping rush from 6000–8000rpm for very special occasions. Even if you drive with a lead foot you'll be unlucky to get less than 22mpg. Amazing.
                            Sadly, I think I'll be returning to Sycamores in the near future as the air-conditioning system is finding it increasingly difficult to demist the windows. A quick feel around the vents revealed that those directing air onto the screen don't appear to open. I fear a dashboard-out fix is inevitable, but if anyone can effect a fix it's Sycamores. I'll let you know next month.
                            Words/Pictures: Richard Meaden

BMW M Coupe (April 2002)
                            After a frustrating week or so of inactivity for the M Coupe while I waited for a set of Conti SportContacts to arrive, it's been great to get back into the groove. During the last month or so the hairy-arsed BMW had been getting increasingly unruly, even though the original Michelins were still (barely) legal, so it was a relief to feel the front-end bite through the slimy February road gloop and turn in with renewed conviction. I'm frankly amazed how long the front Michelins lasted, as they have never been changed, surviving 20,000 miles of enthusiastic road driving and a track outing at Bedford Autodrome that literally blew one of the rears to shreds. Still, at £650 for a fresh set of boots, I'm glad to say the new Contis are likely to outlive our tenure with the car. I'll let you know how they compare with the Pilot Sports over my final few months with Y952 NBL.
                            Being reunited with the M Coupe after an enforced break also highlighted its relative crudeness. Noisier, livelier and far more of a handful than any other current BMW, the M Coupe is a much rawer experience than you'd expect. In fact it's quite similar to a TVR; that fabulously aggressive straight-six dominating the whole experience.
                            I'm now happily resigned to the fact that I'll never become blasé about the 'Running Shoe's' sheer pace, even after stepping out of Mr Barker's ridiculously rapid Evo VII RS Sprint. Though I doubt there's a huge amount between the two in straight-line speed, the way they deliver is completely different. The Evo's frantic, short-geared lunges for the horizon are utterly alien to the M Coupe's indulgent rev-range and endless third gear that punches you well into three figures. In fact I'd always thought the M Coupe encouraged me to drive like an arse all the time, but after the full-on RS Sprint I can happily snick the Bee Em into fifth gear and luxuriate in the amazing flexibility of the M Power straight-six. Smug? Me? You bet!
                            Words/Pictures: Richard Meaden
                            Col N.
                            Life is not a rehearsal !

Porsche Cayenne S
                            ex Audi S4 Avant
                            ex 2001 S54 Titanium, Black
                            ex Porsche 968

Comment

Thanks for sharing that ZC, it sums up the S54 well I think.

Interestingly, MPS tyres have seemingly reduced in price in 15 years.

Comment

Working...
                              X