Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > M Coupe Journals
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 30-05-2014, 09:05 PM

Default Ian_C Estoril S50 Journal

I collected my Estoril S50 (Sep 98 build) back in September 2013. It’s been a busy winter 2013 and spring 2014 so thought it was about time I started my journal on here. As a 7 year z3 2.8 roadster owner I’m pretty familiar with most aspects of the coupe although the ///m specific elements are new to me.

When I viewed the car it was obvious that it had been owned by a driving enthusiast and had been cherished mechanically but it definitely lacked something in the washing & polishing department. There were plenty of stone chips, the sill covers showed all the signs of mud build up and the mirror bases were corroded. Having said that it was clear that the wheels had been recently refurbed. Critically, the diff mount and boot floor all looked sound. Inside it was pretty good with just some wear to the driver’s seat bolster. The previous owner had had the car for 14 years, it being previously run as a dealer demonstrator and it was showing 56k miles. With a decent heritage and history I was content to take the car and get to work on freshening up the paint.

Day 1 pics:

I quickly decided that I wanted to get the car resprayed and having visited several bodyshops settled on Gaskell Motor Bodies in Blackburn. The owner (Nick) was knowledgeable and had tackled several similar jobs on classic BMWs previously. Gaskell’s are approved repairers for a number of manufacturers (although not BMW ironically!) and had featured in the BMWCCGB magazine a couple of years ago. We decided on a windows out respray of all bar the roof of the coupe. I wanted to replace the sill covers with new and set about prepping the car before it went to Gaskell’s. I removed the original sills which, as predicted, were full of mud and also removed as much trim as possible before setting off to the bodyshop for paint...

Off we go:

Last edited by Ian_C; 29-07-2015 at 07:49 PM. Reason: Repaired broken image link
Old 30-05-2014, 09:07 PM

Gaskell’s did a very thorough job of prepping and painting, I was very impressed with the standard of workmanship. The coupe was in good hands...

Collection day:

So now I’m into the rebuild process. The sills and front wings are back on and I’m progressing the remainder of the car. Shouldn’t be too long before it’s back on the road...

Last edited by Ian_C; 30-05-2014 at 09:46 PM.
Old 31-05-2014, 08:16 AM

Looks great. How much were the new sill covers? What made you buy new over prepping and re spraying the originals?

Cheers,

Paul
Old 31-05-2014, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wav View Post
Looks great. How much were the new sill covers? What made you buy new over prepping and re spraying the originals?

Cheers,

Paul
Looking good. I'd also like to know the answer to this!
Old 31-05-2014, 04:53 PM
Administrator

looking good
Old 31-05-2014, 08:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wav View Post

Cheers,

Paul
The originals were pretty much shot, especially on the leading edge. I could possibly have repaired them with fibreglass but felt that if I was going to this much trouble I may as well replace. New ones were £148+VAT each from Soper Lincoln (got £50 discount as I think RRP is £175+VAT)

Old 01-06-2014, 07:46 AM

Are the sills a simple couple of bolts off and on?

Did the new sills come prepped ready for spraying?
Old 01-06-2014, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
Are the sills a simple couple of bolts off and on?
Pretty much, good guide here: http://zroadster.org/threads/sill-re...try-added.373/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
Did the new sills come prepped ready for spraying?
Err, not sure. They were satin black and wrapped in tacky polythene from the BMW parts dept. Bodyshop sprayed both sides in Estoril and lacquer - I trusted that they applied appropriate primer. I further treated the insides with waxoyl before I refitted them to the car.

Tags
journal