Clock issues

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
    It is a weird one isn't it? Mine keeps time when the car's in use, but with the ignition off, slowly loses time.
    From my limited tracking of the problem, this seems to be the problem with mine too.
    S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

I wonder if you could buy a new standard VDO clock (£96 )and swop the bezel from your faulty unit (BMW S50 clock £240 from dealers)

http://www.etbinstruments.com/VDO_Price_List.htm

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
        I wonder if you could buy a new standard VDO clock (£96 )and swop the bezel from your faulty unit (BMW S50 clock £240 from dealers)

http://www.etbinstruments.com/VDO_Price_List.htm
        I like that website Dave. You've probably got me spending more money too

Good option to look at.
        S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

I replaced my clock with a VDO oil pressure gauge. I swapped the crome bezel over at the same time, but it wasn't exactly straight forward.

Paul

Comment

Thats a nice idea too. Out of interest, what was the bezel swap process?
            S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Obviously the clock had to be destroyed to get the old bezel off. If I remember correctly the crome bezel then had to be turned down on a lathe so that it slid over the new plastic bezel, although I could be wrong and the new bezel may have had to be machined off/removed first.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Wav View Post
                I replaced my clock with a VDO oil pressure gauge. I swapped the crome bezel over at the same time, but it wasn't exactly straight forward.

Paul
                Alternatively you could put the BMW voltmeter in as used in the US S52 engined coupe. Great value
                http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=62&fg=05
                1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                  Alternatively you could put the BMW voltmeter in as used in the US S52 engined coupe. Great value
                  http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...21&hg=62&fg=05
                  Fantastic option. Excuse my limited knowledge of such things, but would this be a straight swap out?
                  S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by inkey$ View Post
                    Fantastic option. Excuse my limited knowledge of such things, but would this be a straight swap out?
                    It looks to be the same wiring loom on the S52 US cars and the early S50 euro cars so volt metre may be a direct swap with the clock?

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...SA/61/61_0157/

http://www.etk.cc/bmw/EN/search/sele...CE/61/61_0157/

Comment

I am pretty sure I have a working clock somewhere at home since I removed it when I put the boost gauge. Let me dig around and will post here if I find it

Comment

Heh, there'll be a heap of us after that oxam!
                        Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                        ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                        Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by inkey$ View Post
                          Yep, I put one in my 2.8 roadie when I put an ///m console in. Relatively simple job. Looks like this:

Last edited by Ian_C; 02-05-2014, 08:22 PM.
                          1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Complete centre console with all gauges. Currently £125.
                            http://m.ebay.co.uk/itm/331193983547

Comment

Well finally got my new VDO analogue clock (£214 from bmminiparts) fitted over the weekend prior to attending MG Car Show at Corbridge on Sunday. I was originally going to try and get clock from USA but couldn't get the correct face detailing, so I bit the bullet and bought in UK.
                              If you have big hands like me it can prove to a difficult task if you haven't attempted it before, I also changed some of the other gauge light bulbs and fixed the wiring on the illuminated gear knob as well.
                              Access is the main problem with out damaging the side panels to the centre console. Read up all I could on the subject from Zroadster forum and on from various posts on here which proved to be very helpful. Not many tools required apart from small screw driver to ease off the plastic caps (some were damaged so someone had been behind the console before and Philips head screwdriver to take out screws, small mirror and a lead light were the essentially other tools. Everything can be done by had hand to unscrew retaining ring on back of clock and getting bulb holders out. It helped that the new clock came with new bulb and holder so it was easy to see how the holder fitted into the back of the instrument, its only a push fit.

One thing that was a mystery is what is this connector for (see below), it dropped down the driver's side console panel as I was struggling to undo the clock retaining ring. Couldn't see anywhere obvious that it would fit, everything seems to be working, so is it something pertaining to roadster electrics?

Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                              2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                              1986 M635
                              1985 E28 M5
                              1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

I don't remember seeing that connector spare on mine but if everything is working it may just be a spare?

Comment

Working...
                                X