No announcement yet.

V8 M Coupe Rebuild

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So here I am getting all excited because spring will be here soon and my MC is making good progress and it won't be long now.

I'm all smug because I know the LS3 is going to pull up stumps, then I get a text from Craig at Dyno Torque who's building the car.

"LS is so last decade"........and these pics:

The bastard is rubbing it in because he's just scored the latest generation factory supercharged LT4 crate engine for his own personal build. It's going in an E92 M3.

I chuntered something about forced induction being the work of Satan but I have to admit to getting just a little bit of a boner at the thought of six hundred and plenty horsepower and a loud whine to accompany it

Comment

Nice! And I can see why they’re called crate engines now....
      2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Nearly there.........

Comment

Awesome, love to hear it running!

Comment

That engine bay looks miles better painted estoril!

oh......and with a v8 in it obviously!
            Previous: Silver s50 Mc
            Previous: Yellow s50 Mc
            -------------------------------------------
            Current: Estoril S50 Mc

Comment

So Craig's LT4 powered M3 is running.......His own car jumped the queue as I'm in no particular hurry and we're waiting for some bits.

https://www.facebook.com/craig.taylo...3924820974515/

Comment

Originally posted by Adz S View Post
                That engine bay looks miles better painted estoril!
                I think so. I could never get my head around why they were never done like this, I think it looks unfinished as OEM.

I get why you'd never do this to an original car but as mine is bastardised anyway then I had no hesitation.

Comment

Originally posted by fok View Post
                  Nearly there.........

Looking Fantastic !!

Comment

It now lives, albeit on a base map while I run it in.

Quick MOT and we're away...........

Comment

I am currenlty without engine........ this is appealing on so many levels!

Mainly to annoy the purists
                      Previous: Silver s50 Mc
                      Previous: Yellow s50 Mc
                      -------------------------------------------
                      Current: Estoril S50 Mc

Comment

So, it's been a while since an update.....With good reason, it's hardly turned a wheel since.

Back in August 2018 I ran it in for a few hundred miles, on a base map so it could then go on the dyno to have the Emerald ECU mapped. I did the gentle miles, had a few little snagging jobs done at DynoTorque and then it went off to Emerald in Norfolk.

They were in no particular hurry and neither was I as I had a building project on the go, plus a load of other major life stuff going on. Having nowhere to keep it due to the build was the major motivation for being quite happy for it to sit at Emerald, which it did, for the best part of a year!

Anyway, fast forward to a couple of weeks ago and I got it back fully set up and running sweet It made around 520 power and torque on their notoriously conservative dyno so peak numbers are plenty. But holy shit has it got some grunt? I'm so pleased!

The whole point of the motor swap was to give it low end NA shove and it really delivers. It's transformed the power delivery and feel of the car. With the LS1 it was good but with this stroked LS3 it's rekindled my excitement.........Just in time to garage it for the shit weather, oh well

I'm missing some LM centre caps and it needs some TLC and a valet after being stood a while but it'll give me something to tinker with over winter.

So it's had a really good refresh after ten years of ownership. In addition to the new engine and gearbox it's had:

Full respray. New cills, front wings and front and rear windscreens. Z3 quick steering rack. AP caliper overhaul and new discs. KW suspension set-up. Pilot Sports

The paint shop really looked after me, I got good money for the LS1 pull out and bought most parts at trade so I've not blown my brains financially. Even though it's been bastardised, I'm sure mine will have been dragged along for the ride with the price rises of standard cars too, so I'm well happy with what it owes!

^ Pretending to be a Tesla on charge :)

^ Outside Dyno Torque. Check out their latest LS/LT donor car lurking in the background....Clue: Not the Smart :)
                        Last edited by fok; 26-11-2019, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Great work, thanks for the update, better late than never and good to see it back on the road

Be interested to hear how it sounds, try and do a video at some point if you can
                          S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

Awesome...like the sound of that a lot..
                            S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Very nice! this must be a the perfect setup, to give the Coupe some much needed low and mid range grunt. 520bhp must feel insane in the Coupe though.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                                520bhp must feel insane in the Coupe though.
                                Yep, I must admit it was a bit scary. I had the adrenaline shakes when I got home.

Comment

Working...
                                X