Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil Leak - a little concerned

<<<<<<<>>>>>>>
    Last edited by BenH; 29-01-2020, 08:45 PM.

I bet it's the copper washer around the drain plug which is buggered.
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by BenH View Post
      ... v slowly dripping from the plastic bulge under/behind the front spoiler.
      Do you mean the plastic sump guard? If so it could be anything. It's more than likely something small like the rocker cover gasket.

Is there oil on the fan?
      99T Estoril Blue, Sunroof, HK Speakers, Cruise
      Read my M Coupe experience @ Auto-Journals.com

Comment

Hope it is something minor.

Yes - I guess it will be the sump guard... there is a little on the fan and some on the plastic cowling - presumably blown there by the fan...
        Last edited by BenH; 29-01-2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Well hopefully nothing to worry about - diagnosis was a leaking seal in the Vanos - leaking from an O-ring?...

£1 part arrives tomorrow.

Comment

constant pressure valve would be my guess, very prone to leaking, cheap part bugger to get to
            99vS50 Titan silver, currently on life support waiting for a miracle cure

Comment

All sorted - very pleasant "servicing" experience, as has been the case the last few times I have been there (Steve Rowley in Cheltenham).

Only worry is that the dipstick appeared to be slightly overfilled (a little above "max" mark) - I'm always a bit wary about having the oil any amount over the max (causes head gasket problems?)... should I drain a bit or is it likely to be fine?

Phew!

Cheers

Comment

Originally posted by BenH View Post
                All sorted - very pleasant "servicing" experience, as has been the case the last few times I have been there (Steve Rowley in Cheltenham).

Only worry is that the dipstick appeared to be slightly overfilled (a little above "max" mark) - I'm always a bit wary about having the oil any amount over the max (causes head gasket problems?)... should I drain a bit or is it likely to be fine?

Phew!

Cheers
                It depends if you checked it on a hot or cold engine. If it was cold and on a flat level then I would drain a bit of it.

Greenbat

Ex MC Owner

Comment

Working...
                X