ACS suspension fitted

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ACS suspension fitted

Well what a differance a day makes! Picked up the ACS kit Saturday morning (Cheers Simon)and fitted it straight away. Fitting was quite straight forward due to the front struts being ready assembled. Only problem was one of the droplink bolts was a pig to undo and the rear trim removal takes a bit of time.

Obviously helped by also replacing the shot rear top mounts but the car is transformed. Rearend squating is just about banished, car feels much better planted and firmer but in no way harsh. It's early days but it would appear that the biggest disapointment of the Coupe is sorted! ....... Well some H&R ARB's are next on the list

Love it, why on earth didn't BMW have this as the standard setup!

Love it hate it Marmite exterior, Jaffa cake interior... Perfect

Glad you like it and that the rear top mounts came in handy.

I remember those drop-links a real PIA! on mine the thread was really stiff all the way along. After you losen it a bit, it tends to waggle about making removal that much more irritating.

How long did it take?

Comment

Christ that's low!

Comment

Cheers again Simon for the kit. The whole thing took from 10 ish till 6 in the evening. A good 2 hours was just working on the one droplink bolt .

It does look low but so far I haven't come across any road speed bumps that have been a problem. There are a couple where I work that use to scrape the bottom on the standard set up but I can avoid those all together.

I have to say I'm extremely impress with the kit. Well done ACS

Comment

Originally posted by Jonmurgie View Post
          Christ that's low!
          It might be the pitcure but the ACS kit isn't as low as some kits, it lowers it about 20-25mm bit but not excessively. Only problem is ground clearance isn't that great on the Z3M as the front undertray hangs lower than anything else on the car!

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
            It might be the pitcure but the ACS kit isn't as low as some kits, it lowers it about 20-25mm bit but not excessively. Only problem is ground clearance isn't that great on the Z3M as the front undertray hangs lower than anything else on the car!
            Could be... from the pics you couldn't get a fag paper between the wheels and the arches!!

Must post a pic of my Coupe actually, lowered it a little more but as you say the under trays are so low it's as much as I'm prepared to go.

Comment

The picture does make it look lower than it actually is. I'll try and get a shot that better represents how it sits.

Comment

Hi muppetman,

Can you please tell me what ACS suspension you have fitted, is it the race, or road version? Are you still happy with it?

I'm looking to lower the car by about 20mm (not lower than 30mm), and improve the damping abit if possible. I don't know a great deal about suspension mods, but have driven an MC with Bilsteins all round and the owner said the damping was much better (less crashing over potholes). Since I have had my MC (OEM setup) I understand what he means. I generally quite like the ride, & don't really notice much roll or soft rear end like I've heard been decribed on here a lot. My last car was a '85 635 csi, and the MC feels like an F1 car round the bends in comparsion!

So is the ACS kit you fitted still relatively comfy on uneven roads or worse than OEM? My misses will kill me if all her teeth rattle out!

Cheers
                Rick
                2000, S50 Titanium Silver, ACS gearnob, handbrake, shortshift, Essienman exhaust, Carbon airbox.

Comment

Originally posted by Muppetman View Post
                  Only problem was one of the droplink bolts was a pig to undo and the rear trim removal takes a bit of time.

...... Well some H&R ARB's are next on the list
                  Then you get to undo the other droplink bolts

I still remember the first drive after I got ACS fitted to mine - really does transform the car.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pdwarren View Post
                    I still remember the first drive after I got ACS fitted to mine - really does transform the car.

Paul
                    In a good way I presume? :)

Can you please elaborate?

cheers
                    2000, S50 Titanium Silver, ACS gearnob, handbrake, shortshift, Essienman exhaust, Carbon airbox.

Comment

There are lots of options depending on your needs / track use but the most popular are discussed briefly here:

http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=23331

I have the ACS race setup and compared to the OEM setup on my previous ///M it does ffellike the car is on rails. I don't find the ride too hard but its not my everyday driver.

If you look at something like the KW kit you can adjust it to suit your taste. Really depends on what you want to spend and use.

Bare in mind that the ACS kit is expensive and you could get adjustable KW kit for less
                      VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Originally posted by caferaca View Post
                        Hi muppetman,

Can you please tell me what ACS suspension you have fitted, is it the race, or road version? Are you still happy with it?

I'm looking to lower the car by about 20mm (not lower than 30mm), and improve the damping abit if possible. I don't know a great deal about suspension mods, but have driven an MC with Bilsteins all round and the owner said the damping was much better (less crashing over potholes). Since I have had my MC (OEM setup) I understand what he means. I generally quite like the ride, & don't really notice much roll or soft rear end like I've heard been decribed on here a lot. My last car was a '85 635 csi, and the MC feels like an F1 car round the bends in comparsion!

So is the ACS kit you fitted still relatively comfy on uneven roads or worse than OEM? My misses will kill me if all her teeth rattle out!

Cheers
                        Rick
                        Hi Rick. The kit is a road kit. I bought it secondhand so didn't have to swallow the cost of it new. I'd have bought KW3 V3 as problably cheaper and better than the ACS if this kit hadn't come up when it did. I'm still impressed with the kit and don't find it too crashy or harsh. The roads around where I live are pretty shit and getting worse by the minute with this weather we're having. I do try hard not blame the suspension when really it's the shit road surface that's the problem. The ride really didn't change that much but the feel and feedback from the car was transformed. And although a bit vain the way it makes the car look really floats my boat, much more purposeful

Comment

Great, sounds perfect for what I want.

I've called Rossiters and am awaiting a price, but I've got a feeling its going to be more than I want to pay. I'm going to keep my eye out for a used set I think.

Thanks for replying so quick.
                          Rick

Comment

Originally posted by caferaca View Post
                            Great, sounds perfect for what I want.

I've called Rossiters and am awaiting a price, but I've got a feeling its going to be more than I want to pay. I'm going to keep my eye out for a used set I think.

Thanks for replying so quick.
                            Rick
                            I think the acs road kit is around £1150 but acs are no longer producing it, rossiters did have a kit in stock last year so may still have it. cheaper to buy KW kit!

Comment

Yeah I was thinking they'd be over a grand. I will into the KW kit as well.

Problem is I'm a fan of AC Schnitzer products and plan on getting a few more bits like ACS steering wheel, possibly some 18" ACS rims if I can find some. Also, I like that its all approved kit by BMW (even if may not be as good as other makes)

cheers

Comment

Working...
                              X