Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Diff, gearbox, clutch - recommended fluids?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diff, gearbox, clutch - recommended fluids?

Braided clutch hose to fit, at the same time thought i may as well replace all the fluids (apart from brake and engine that was done recently), so what do you recommend? And where from?

Thanks.

Its ok, i found old threads with the info i need.

Comment

Fluids in my car for info are:

Engine ~6litres
      Castrol Edge 10/60 "for M Series" (Summer)
      Fuchs / Silkolene Pro S 5/40 (Winter)

Gearbox ~1.3litres
      AMSOIL MTF Fully Synthetic (available from OPIEOILS). Transformed the change for me, much smoother and lighter.

Diff ~1.3litres
      Castrol XJ (75-140) "For BMW LSDs" (available from OPIEOILS)

Brakes
      Any good brand DOT 5.1 (Halfords quite cheap and easy for this).

Clutch system is shared with brake fluid reservoir.
      Last edited by c_w; 17-08-2011, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
        Zomg, isn't that BAD ?

Comment

Thanks for that, looks like the list I compiled from older threads, wasnt aware of the shared reservoir.

Engine ~6litres

Gearbox ~1.3litres
          AMSOIL MTF Fully Synthetic (available from OPIEOILS). Transformed the change for me, much smoother and lighter.

Diff ~1.3litres

Brakes

Comment

All done, the improvement was immediately noticeable.

Comment

Engine ~6litres

Gearbox ~1.3litres

Diff ~1.3litres

Brakes

This is what I love about forums...I've been wondering where the clutch fluid reservoir for my car was...now while reading on other things I bump into this thread! :)
              '99 Estoril/Estoril-Black S52 M-Coupe

Comment

Just received my shipment today...this is going in this weekend :)

Comment

Never seen those BMW bottles before, it's very difficult to get oil from some UK BMW dealers - I know in the US it is more the norm to change oils DIY than over here. I had to take my own bottles to have filled at a dealer and even then it was a struggle to persuade them to sell it to me!!

I just buy it off ebay now in Castrol branded bottles.

Comment

Never seen those BMW bottles before, it's very difficult to get oil from some UK BMW dealers - I know in the US it is more the norm to change oils DIY than over here. I had to take my own bottles to have filled at a dealer and even then it was a struggle to persuade them to sell it to me!!

I just buy it off ebay now in Castrol branded bottles.
                    The BMW branded bottles are made by Castrol for BMW. This is unfortunate because we are forced to pay double and sometimes even triple for the same product. Castrol only goes up to 75w90 here in the US if I try to buy from them directly on their website - I was actually looking for the Castrol bottle that's available to you guys with no luck. Oh we'll, for the love of the MCoupe :)

The same applies to engine oil - what the dealer sells are BMW branded bottles with Castrol-made oil. That 10w60 that is so sought after is only available at the dealers and costs much more than if it were available from the maker.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe we have it easier here after all! Can 10/60 M Series in regular Castrol branded bottle for sometimes under £30 a bottle if on offer.

Comment

Hmmm, maybe we have it easier here after all! Can 10/60 M Series in regular Castrol branded bottle for sometimes under £30 a bottle if on offer.
                        It appears that you have easier in terms of availability from the manufacturer, but not in terms of pricing - and here I was thinking I was paying too much. A 10w60 quart through the dealer is about $15 USD, but over here we are used to paying $8-10 USD/quart for a decent synthetic oil.

It becomes expensive for us when we have to buy from the dealer instead of from the source.

While visiting Castrol's website, I noticed that the differential oil that you buy was only available if I visited the European website. Products change right away if I visit the local site.

Comment

Originally posted by MCoupeStud View Post
                          Just received my shipment today...this is going in this weekend :)

Done!! Transmission transformed immediately. Shifts are more positive, quicker, and smoother. Now the test will be to let the car undergo an entire cool down cycle and see if the sticky 5th gear when cold goes away, which many people reported was fixed by Amsoil 5w30. Loving it so far!

It's been a fun day - also replaced: the plastic that surrounds the door handle levers, given that the gasket was cracked due to age; finally got a pair of OEM bumper lights/lenses which I replaced as well, and tomorrow I'll be replacing the dead pedal panel :)

Comment

So far I've let it go through 2 cool-down cycles and 5th gear still sticks when cold. Does anyone know if it stops sticking after a few days/some miles given that the new fluid has to undo all the good from the previous fluid which was on the car for a few years? Or should I know by now if the fluid change will/will not fix it? After the car warms up the stickiness goes away, and the shifting feeling is still much better and more positive than before.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by MCoupeStud View Post
                              So far I've let it go through 2 cool-down cycles and 5th gear still sticks when cold. Does anyone know if it stops sticking after a few days/some miles given that the new fluid has to undo all the good from the previous fluid which was on the car for a few years? Or should I know by now if the fluid change will/will not fix it? After the car warms up the stickiness goes away, and the shifting feeling is still much better and more positive than before.

Thanks!
                              I found that it took a good while to make the sticky 5th took some time to free off and still isn't as good as I think it would have been new.
                              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Working...
                              X