S50 versus s54, or do u have a problem

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• S50 versus s54, or do u have a problem

Hi guys, i would love to hear your input.

I have an s50, and yesterday drove a z4m. S54 engined one.

The s54 feels much more responsive, and much more torque in the lower rpm.

Actually it felt so much better, that ill dunno my car and see if I have a problem causing such weaker low rpm power.

Amazing 6speed box, but that's swappable...

So, how do I rule out problems causing my engine feel slowly revving and weak on lower rpm?
    How to diagnose a problematic vanos? Mine has all new seals and bolts, but maybe I have a sticky solenoid? Is there something I can do before heading to dealership?

I do have a ported head with updated valves. No updated engine tune.
    Where can I ask about a solution?
    Who would you reccomand?

Can someone please post a dunno of a stock s50?
    Ill try to have my dynoed and compare.

You see, having the only m coupe in the country has its pluses, but yet I can't compare it to see if its all in correct shape.

Thanks,
    DrSasha.

Just bit the bullet and upgrade to a Z4 MC
    From Z3 MC to Z4 MC... glad to be back

Comment

The S54 IS more responsive, this is partly due to it being a little more up on torque but also as it's drive by wire which can map the throttle to feel moire responsive for a given movement than the linear S50 throttle which often needs plenty more prod in comparsion. I also think that the S50 alters depending on mood, sopmetimes mine is really keen on light throttle inputs, other times it feels a litle flat.

Comment

Not to mention that the S54 in a Z4M is much more like the E46 power and Torque. This makes it a step up over the S54 Z3M that you would notice.

Have you had your S50 on the rollers recently at all to see what it's really making?

Sometimes your butt dyno is a little off.

Comment

I have had both and the S54 is certainly much more Linear

Comment

I see what you're saying.

My feels: weaker low, stronger high revs.
            Normal?

It's like a bloody vtec kicks in above 4k

Comment

Where can I find a stock s50 z3m dyno print?

Comment

Originally posted by DrSasha View Post
                I see what you're saying.

My feels: weaker low, stronger high revs.
                Normal?

It's like a bloody vtec kicks in above 4k
                Vtec yes it is similar to that or some major turbo lag

Comment

Where can I find a stock s50 z3m dyno print?

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...highlight=dyno

Comment

Sasha.... ok...has your car been serviced recently ??? is the air filter clean?? how long ago was the shimm's checked?? how long ago was the ignition plugs changed?? and finally when was the throttle cable changed??? for sure a newer car will be a tad more responsive..just because its newer technology however i would check and make sure the above items have been sorted before making any comparison...for sure the S50 needs to be revved a little there should be a noticable difference around 2.5 revs once the Vanos comes into play!!!hope this helps! Mel.

Comment

Have it totally rebuilt.
                      Needed head gasket coming back from turbo, so all new including the things you've mentioned.

I suspect my vanis is tired or something. Despite new seals and all

Comment

Was having mine serviced at BMW,however some of the basic things wer not changed/checked..i would still check the basics!!!

Comment

What is the "shimm check" you've mentioned?

Comment

What is the "shimm check" you've mentioned?
                            The tappets in the S50 and S54 engines are manually adjusted using shims that potentially need adjustment over time to main the correct valve clearances. A lot of cars don't need this as they adjust automatically hydraulically but not in our cars.

It is a potential for lost performance but a lot of chat on here around them ever actually need adjusting.
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Does it involves removing the valve cover or what?
                              Anyone noticed a difference?

Comment

Working...
                              X