Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BMW Changes From Castrol to Shell

http://www.bmwblog.com/2014/11/10/bm...-oil-supplier/

We will all need to get new engines now as the one ive got can only run on Castrol.

or maybe im being cynical
    [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

I'm sure Castrol will still sell the Edge 10/60 for M series. BMW won't be able to stop them surely, even if they use the M series monicker as most oil will always say "Meets VW / Merc" etc.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
        I'm sure Castrol will still sell the Edge 10/60 for M series. BMW won't be able to stop them surely, even if they use the M series monicker as most oil will always say "Meets VW / Merc" etc.
        Unless in some way BMW own some kind of rights to the development etc.

I'm sure Shell will have just paid more to have their name associated
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Hey it could have been Royal Purple! Then everyone would have had to forsaken their firstborn, or slay a dragon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
            Unless in some way BMW own some kind of rights to the development etc.
            Not sure if that would/could happen, as it's a Castrol branded oil and not sold as a BMW part (ie it's on general sale and not exclusively through a dealer).

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
              Not sure if that would/could happen, as it's a Castrol branded oil and not sold as a BMW part (ie it's on general sale and not exclusively through a dealer).
              I agree it's unlikely but they may own some of the IPR ....
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

So will the BMW dealers be selling off their stock cheap........

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
                  I agree it's unlikely but they may own some of the IPR ....
                  I doubt the 'recipee' of the oil will change one little bit. We may see a logo or a spec missing on new stock due to licensing issues, but the oil will stay the same. No issue for us with older car s, but maybe something to think about for anyone still under a warranty.

I noted that Shell had a 10W-60 well before this announcement.

Comment

i see also mobil 1 10 60 on the market for air cooled porsche..
                    www.fastdrive.org
                    S50 black/black-red In Rome
                    Front BBK Stoptech Red+Eibach Sway Bars+Kw Clubsport Whit Camber plates+Weichers Strutbar+Agk Urethane front Silent Block & differential Bushing+Tuner Motorposrt Alluminium Rear Mount+Hamann Exaust

Comment

Not sure if its available in the UK but Pennzoil (which has been owned by Shell for a long time) also makes a synthetic 10w60 racing oil - looks like it is approved for BMW M series as well.

Any thoughts on synthetics for S50/S54 engines?

Comment

Working...
                      X