Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulty engaging gears when warm?

Hello chaps,
    I'm having difficulty with the m at the moment. Its fine it's driving but when in traffic and I put her into neutral, getting back into gears is extremely difficult. To the point where cars behind me are Horning as I'm stood still ebarassingy trying to get into gear!
    On cold she is fine, just when it warms up.
    Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance!

Suggest you invest in a braided clutch hose

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19456

Comment

Originally posted by Rags View Post
      Suggest you invest in a braided clutch hose

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19456

Aggree with the above,change the clutch hose as when it gets warmer and older,it gets softer,change the fluids,buy a Storm gear knob,or any weighted one problems solved !

Comment

It would seem like a hydraulic issue compounded when warm. Is the fluid level stable?
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
          Aggree with the above,change the clutch hose as when it gets warmer and older,it gets softer,change the fluids,buy a Storm gear knob,or any weighted one problems solved !
          He loves the weighed knobs

Comment

I prefer mine to glow in the dark!
            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
              I prefer mine to glow in the dark!

My eyes are fine !

Comment

I changed mine at the end of last year. Couldn't even get it in gear while outmaneuvering in a car park - so just couldn't be left.
                It's a cheap fix, but it did introduce a little vibration from the pedal which I guess was damped out with the rubber hose. That may or may not be desirable, but I can with absolute confidence that the gear change has been completely transformed,
                S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Mine had the same problem and a Earls braided hose cured it

Comment

Mine is fully OEM and I have had no issues whatsoever.

Comment

Originally posted by Guywiththeclownshoe View Post
                      Hello chaps,
                      I'm having difficulty with the m at the moment. Its fine it's driving but when in traffic and I put her into neutral, getting back into gears is extremely difficult. To the point where cars behind me are Horning as I'm stood still ebarassingy trying to get into gear!
                      On cold she is fine, just when it warms up.
                      Any ideas what this could be?

Thanks in advance!

Loads of info regarding this on the forum,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/tags.php?tag=clutch+hose

Comment

Wouldn't the best solution to buy a new Oem hose and then insulate it from external heat.

Some exhaust wrap followed by reflective tape would work I would have thought. That way any vibration shouldn't happen as you have the Oem hose.

Comment

Yep - definitely sounds like clutch hose.

Hack Engineering are quite reasonable.

Can be a bit of a PITA to bleed. I ended up resorting the mountain bike brake method and using a large syringe full of brake fluid directly in to the slave cylinder, worked a treat

Comment

over time the OEM rubber clutch hose breaks down and therefore when the clutch fluid gets hot the hose expands which in turn means a lower pressure when you press down the clutch. the braided hose fixes this by the metal braid on the outside of the hose restricting the expansion of the hose and therefore keeping full hydrolic pressure when engaging the clutch.

best solution for difficulty in engaging gears = braided hose.

Comment

I think mine was from them.
                              S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Working...
                              X