Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Newbie track day

Hey all,

I am itching to tack the MC out for a track day but have never done one before. Is it possible for someone to take me under their wing for a day?

Im based in Reading

Not sure what you mean by this ? Do you want advice, to go out in someones car with them, for them to go with you to a track day ? etc

Best thing to do is book a track with lots of run off, bedford is a good example. Make sure your car is roadworthy - basic checks like tyres, fluids, brakes etc.

For your first track day I would recommend getting insured. Companies like moris will do cover for 1 day for around £100.

Then just go to the day, slowly build up to your pace and you should be fine. Take lots of energy drinks like red bull etc to keep you alert.

I'm based in wokingham so i you wanted to pop over for a chat or advice feel free.
    Ex 2001 S54
    New cars:
    Lotus Carlton
    350Z

Comment

Thank you MGR,

I was just hoping to tag along in my MC when someone went on a track day in the area. Im just worried I will turn up and make a tit/crash because I dont know track day etiquette.

I will look into Bedford

Comment

Try taking a look at http://www.trackdays.co.uk/

lots of info on there.

Also the safety briefings will go through the etiquette etc before you go out.

I've booked to do the silverstone BMW day. Not sure its the best track to start off on though.
        Ex 2001 S54
        New cars:
        Lotus Carlton
        350Z

Comment

Thanks MGR,

Will be booking shortly :)

Comment

Silverstone shouldn't be a bad start point - it has modern F1 regulation run off areas rather than grass etc.

Not a fan of bedford but agree it's a good start point as it's relatively safe.

Comment

Right,

I am booked for Bedford on the 6th Nov. Didnt realise how far ahead in time your had to wait :/ Ho hum, am still very excited

Comment

If it's your first time, I'd definitely book some instruction, it'll make a huge difference to getting you up to speed. I'd give yourself an hour or so in the morning to learn the track yourself, then have some instruction.

Comment

These novice only track days might be worth a look:

http://www.clubmsv.com/car-home/novice-only.aspx

BMW car club were doing some also at half price:

"
                  If you have done more than three trackdays then please ignore this,

But if you know of any newcomers or people that may be too nervous to do a regular trackday, please pass this on.

Its an offer that's too good to miss!

Novice only BMW Track Evenings

Partially funded by BMW UK (so you only pay half price)

Organised and run by Club MSV on behalf of BMW UK

23 June Brands rrp £99 now £49
                  16 July Bedford rrp £99 now £49
                  21 July Cadwell rrp £79 now £39
                  11 Aug Snetterton rrp £89 now £45
                  27 Aug Bedford rrp £99 now £49

Please visit the following link to book in or find out more about how the events would run

http://www.clubmsv.co.uk/bmwontrack

Please note that this is for BMW vehicles only

Thanks for looking

Nick
                  "
                  Failing that try and go out when it's quiet (probably not 1st thing, or after lunch), build a nice buffer of room around you and try to remember it's not a race.

Chs, Dan
                  -------------------------
                  Ex Ex Ex: 1998 M Coupé, Estoril/Estoril+Black. HK+ MD+CD Changer, roof, side bags, lamp wash.
                  Ex Ex: 1998 M3 Evo Coupé, Estoril / Blk with all the toys.
                  Ex: 2004 Z4 3.0i, Silver / blk with no roof.
                  Now: 2003 M3 CSL, Silver Grey, lots of carbon fibre.

Comment

Trackday Virgins + 06/10/10 Monday

You are welcome to come to the BMW CC Silverstone trackday to see if you want to become a regular.You will need to have a helmet and sign a disclaimer if you want a passenger ride.This would be as a guest FOC.
                    safetyfast

Comment

Thanks for the tips guys. The novice days are all weekdays though and im trying to preserve the remainder of my days off work

Comment

Originally posted by turbo blackbeard View Post
                        Thanks for the tips guys. The novice days are all weekdays though and im trying to preserve the remainder of my days off work
                        Unfortunately most track days are weekdays though! There are lots of weekend days though but majority are weekdays.

Comment

I spoke to a few people at the meet. It would be great if we had a newbie day. Im all booked in for the 6th Nov at Bedford, anyone else want to come?

Comment

il be at snertton on 30th sept its 150 for the day, but again its during the week. It's novice but to be honest i prefer open pit lane its less packed i find and you drive for aslong as you feel not just aslong as you are told too. Generally not a hell of a lot of difference in drivers either there are clueless numptys in both as well as very good, quick drivers.

I am going with a mate from work as i couldnt persuade him to do a normal trackday!!! im sure he will find out in due course its no different.

That bmw offer is really good, shame i didnt see this thread earlier.

Comment

Working...
                            X