PAS fluid?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PAS fluid?

Hi folks. Thought I ought to check the PAS fluid level on my ZMC but can't find the resevoir anywhere. Even the handbook does not seem to answer the question. don't think it's electronic....or is it? I am not 'techy' ("no...you don't say!!") on the other hand a car engine is not a complete unknown to me. There is clearly a very good reason for this and I am dead sure that someone will reply to this and make me feel a 'real dip-stick'!!!
    Ex-1999 Z3 M Coupe S50
    Cosmos black / two tone Black & Kyalami interior
    Tilt sunroof/heated seats/chrome M gear shift/ Harman-Kardon Hi-Fi pack
    Engine strut brace/ventilated discs/cruise

weeeeeeeeee!!

Plus the 'daily driver': (Which is a secret because it's far too embarrassing!)

It's under the manifold intake; you can see the top of it looking just left of the airbox and under the rubber plenum going to the intake.

To check it, it's easier to remove the airbox and also the large rubber duct/plenum attachment.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
      It's under the manifold intake; you can see the top of it looking just left of the airbox and under the rubber plenum going to the intake.

To check it, it's easier to remove the airbox and also the large rubber duct/plenum attachment.
      Thanks for reply CW. Like I said, I'm not adverse to peering under the hood and checking stuff now and then but......'manifold intake.......airbox....rubber plenum'......these are all words which I am sure should mean something to me! I don't know if you or anyone else here mightg have a photo indicating the location and procedure for gaining access in order to check it?

The reason I am wanting to do this is that the steering feels though it may be 'tramlining' a bit so I want to check the obvious first such as tyre pressures/tracking and PAS fluid. Because I'm unfamiliar with the ZMC I'm not sure if this is a familiar characteristic in view of the wide wheels and low ride hight etc, but I want to be sure before I set off to my local indy. I recently had the wishbone bushes replaced on my E46 which had similar symptoms and seemed to rectify it. Cheers for any advice.
      Ex-1999 Z3 M Coupe S50

weeeeeeeeee!!

Comment

If you look at this link http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9332 then there is a picture of a CSL engine bay (S54 engine) with a Carbon Airbox on. You need to remove the part that comes away from the engine and heads down to the front of your car just to the right of the radiator as you stand in front of the car. You need to undue the giant hose clip at the end closest to the engine and and then kind of waggle it out. Its quite a tight fit I seem to remember from when I had to change my PAS cooling pipe.

(I think its right as my company websense blocks most pictures people post on here so going off memory, sorry if not!)

Ian
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Here's a photo of the S50 with airbox, manifold and rubber plenum removed:

I assume the PAS fluid is the black reservoir and cap at the bottom centre of the photo.

As you look at the engine from the front of the car (the photo above is taken from the left):

The airbox is the black plastic box on the right at the front of the car.

The manifold is the big black thing in the middle with six pipes coming out of the left hand side.

The rubber plenum is the bit connecting the two.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
            If you look at this link http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9332 then there is a picture of a CSL engine bay (S54 engine) with a Carbon Airbox on. You need to remove the part that comes away from the engine and heads down to the front of your car just to the right of the radiator as you stand in front of the car. You need to undue the giant hose clip at the end closest to the engine and and then kind of waggle it out. Its quite a tight fit I seem to remember from when I had to change my PAS cooling pipe.

(I think its right as my company websense blocks most pictures people post on here so going off memory, sorry if not!)

Ian
            Hi Ian and thanks for that. The photo is very close up hence a bit difficult to make it out but I'll have a butchers under the mood and see what I make of it! Beautifual looking CSL by the way
            Ex-1999 Z3 M Coupe S50

weeeeeeeeee!!

Comment

Originally posted by pdwarren View Post
              I assume the PAS fluid is the black reservoir and cap at the bottom centre of the photo.
              Paul is right, thats the thing your looking for!

Yeah that CSL looks great, you can get the airbox for a S54 but £2000+ is abit OTT!
              2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Thanks for the photo Paul. I can see exactly where I need to be looking for the PAS fluid thingy. Very helpful. Don't know if I'm brave enough to do that much dismantling ....... but I'll see how it goes as I do need to check the PAS level. Thanks again. People are always sooooooo helpful here
                Ex-1999 Z3 M Coupe S50

weeeeeeeeee!!

Comment

You don't need to go as far as in the photo above. Just remove the airbox and rubber plenum which come out very easily, and leave the manifold in place.

That said, if you're low on PAS fluid, I would expect the first thing you'd notice would be the pump groaning at low speeds.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pdwarren View Post
                    You don't need to go as far as in the photo above. Just remove the airbox and rubber plenum which come out very easily, and leave the manifold in place.

That said, if you're low on PAS fluid, I would expect the first thing you'd notice would be the pump groaning at low speeds.

Paul
                    Thanks Paul. I haven't noticed any untoward noises from the PAS. I'll check the fluid 'cos it's peace of mind. Cheers.
                    Ex-1999 Z3 M Coupe S50

weeeeeeeeee!!

Comment

I think if you needed to top up the fluid,the only reason for this would be a leak somewhere! if you havnt noticed any fluid on the floor (its normaly a red colour and thin in make up unlike an oil) then there would be no need to top up.

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                        I think if you needed to top up the fluid,the only reason for this would be a leak somewhere! if you havnt noticed any fluid on the floor (its normaly a red colour and thin in make up unlike an oil) then there would be no need to top up.
                        Thanks for that. I will have a lok underneath befoer I think about checking the fluid level. Cheers.
                        Ex-1999 Z3 M Coupe S50

weeeeeeeeee!!

Comment

If you pop the bonnet and look at the power steering cooling line that runs just in front of the radiator, thats where mine was leaking from.

With it being at the front of the car it gets all the crap on it and had corroded through. Quite surprised on a 5yo car (at the time) but when you see how they are made you can see why it did!

Comment

I've had power steering cooling pipes replaced on two occasions.
                            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Working...
                            X