Oil...Which is best ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil...Which is best ?

Sorry - I suspect this will have been covered many times before, but the 'search' function gave no results.

What I oil should I be running for a mix of road and track use in the UK on a 82k miles S50 car ?

Picking it up from Brystone on Saturday and they have filled with 5w-30. Whilst the knowledge and service has been superb from Richard, i just wanted to check the oil spec. He said 60 grade oil is too thick for th S50 ?

Others have said 5w-60 M Power Edge should be used at all times, and I'm not an oil expert, but this is a long way from 5w-30 ?

Any advice appreciated.

Thks
    Matt

I have used 10/60 for my S50 for several years as recommended by my local dealer and Indie.

more info here

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...t=castrol+edge

Comment

And conversely, both the M-trained techs at my local indy advise against using 10/60 in the S50, stating that it's too thick. Reading through the threads on here though, I know plenty have used it in the S50 without issue.
      Last edited by Fat Tony; 05-04-2012, 04:06 PM.
      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Ok - Thanks both

Tony - what do your guys put in ??

Seems other than 10/60, the other option is 5 or 10/40.
        Can't find anyone suggesting 5W/30....

Matt

Comment

i used the 5/40 silkolene pro s i think
          name might have changed now though!

Click here to email me

Comment

We use Valvoline VR1 5w50...

Great oil of most road/motorsport applications..

Comment

Castrol website recommends EDGE 5-40?

Comment

I'm sure Richard would expand on the reasons for his recommendation.

He's looked after my car for the last few years and I rate him highly.

Ian
                S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

I do plan to ask Richard for more detail when I pick the car up.

When I spoke to him about the long list of things that needed fixing, he mentioned that 10/60 is too thick, and he recommends 5/30.

Totally trust the guy and have huge respect for his knowledge, but was keen to see what others recommend for mixed road and track use.

Thks
                  Matt

Comment

15w50 Motul 300V

Really really good oil, a bit pricey but have done plenty of trackdays and never managed to get it hot.

Now trying the Gulf Competition in the Mustang and the Viper and so far very happy with the results (half price compared to the Motul). Check oipe oils, they have pretty good deals on it.

Comment

I've always been advised on 5/40 on here and by companies...
                      I use the Fuchs racing Titan or silo keen race S (both ester) off opie...
                      http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-68897-fu...ngine-oil.aspx
                      ///Made for sideways action

Comment

A bit old thread, but... I have been using Mobil 1 5W-50 for a very long time on a number of cars (incl my M Coupe) and never got failed by it. I do realise a lot of people do not appreciate it bu I've NEVER been let down, al all engines were always in pristine conditions plus never got an issue with too high temperature or anything. That is for mixed rad-track-day use. Not real racing of course. There were stories of Mobil products being faked - but it never happend to me. Reasonably priced, abvailable from practically every second gas station around the corner - why look further? :)

A lot of friends from Porsche club go with Mobil 1 0W-40 (which is standard OE recomendation for them) on their 996/997 and never complained too.

On the other hand I did have a "check oil" issue on a very hot day high speed highway driving with BMW OE-recomended castrol EDGE 0W-30 product on my X5 4.6iS though. Seemend as it was really to "thin" for more demanding drive. I switched to EDGE Sport 0W-40 thing and never got that problem again.
                        Last edited by Pawel; 28-08-2012, 06:44 AM.
                        Best Regards,

Pawel

Comment

Working...
                        X