Dangers of Jump starting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just looked ay the manual myself

It does seem there is certainly a specific procedure for jump-starting, the first one that sticks out is the fact you are not even supposed to touch the flat battery.

As previous poster said the positive needs to be connected to the point in the engine bay and the negative to a special bolt on the strut housing.

Once started it also says to run lights and turn up blower etc for a certain amount of time before disconnecting.

Comment

another thing you should do (according to the BMW assist mechanic who sorted out my last flat battery) is to reset the electric windows by opening fully then closing them fully as this resets the closing memory.

Comment

Well, another winter is here and after deciding to again put mine off the road I went to start it yesterday and seems the battery has gone again.

Got a Bosch silver one last year and its been spot on for starting since.

Since in storage from November last year I've been starting it every couple of weeks and letting it run for about 30mins, each time its started no problem. I suppose letting it run doesnt properly charge the battery and that with the recent cold spell has probably meant I havent been as lucky this time.

Obviously after what happened the last time I'm certainly not going to jump start using the battery terminals but to save having to push it out the garage etc I am just going to take the battery out and get my dad to charge it using his charger then put it back in.

I take it that should be a safe enough method? I'm pretty paranoid now with this and dont want to fork out for another ECU!

Comment

Originally posted by issproking View Post
          Well, another winter is here and after deciding to again put mine off the road I went to start it yesterday and seems the battery has gone again.

Got a Bosch silver one last year and its been spot on for starting since.

Since in storage from November last year I've been starting it every couple of weeks and letting it run for about 30mins, each time its started no problem. I suppose letting it run doesnt properly charge the battery and that with the recent cold spell has probably meant I havent been as lucky this time.

Obviously after what happened the last time I'm certainly not going to jump start using the battery terminals but to save having to push it out the garage etc I am just going to take the battery out and get my dad to charge it using his charger then put it back in.

I take it that should be a safe enough method? I'm pretty paranoid now with this and dont want to fork out for another ECU!

charging the battery out of the car should be fine, if you have mains power in your garage it would be worth investing in a trickle charger?

Comment

i think you are too paranoid now

have jump started plenty of cars in the past! and never had any lasting issues.

yes ive experienced with the modern BMW's (and others) they have a few electrical faults and lights on the dash, these should usually sort themselves out once the car has been driven with a working battery, but if not, a simple fault code read/clearing can sort it all out.

the errors are usually thrown up just because of low battery power! nothing to worry about and its perfectly normal with cars that have all the extra features........ blablabla

S50 MC shouldnt have any show up at all!

Click here to email me

Comment

Why don't you just get an isolator switch? I've just replaced the negative cable from the battery to the chassis with a stretch of 4awg and an isolator switch under the boot carpet. This also adds to the security as it means that nobody can start the car, even if they get past the ignition. ;)

Costs c.£30 all in, and is fully reversible - when you sell the car, just replace your wire/switch combo with the original.

Comment

Any recommendations as to good trickle chargers?
                Just had to jump start it today, doubt it'll get through the winter and I don't want a whole series of jump starting in case there's something in the 'dangers' after all
                Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZ View Post
                  Any recommendations as to good trickle chargers?
                  Just had to jump start it today, doubt it'll get through the winter and I don't want a whole series of jump starting in case there's something in the 'dangers' after all
                  Thanks
                  I have been using a "ctek" without any problems for the last few years

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                    I have been using a "ctek" without any problems for the last few years
                    +1
                    Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                    ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                    Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
                      +1
                      +2

I connect it to the +ve battery terminal under the bonnet, and the strut bolt, and gently close the bonnet so that I can lock the car without the bonnet alarm switch triggering.
                      '99 Imola S50 | Simota | Front strut | Braided clutch cable | Bilstein B8 and H&R springs

Comment

+3. Works a treat.
                        S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Great thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Knightrider View Post
                            +2

I connect it to the +ve battery terminal under the bonnet, and the strut bolt, and gently close the bonnet so that I can lock the car without the bonnet alarm switch triggering.
                            +4 - there's actually a little nook down the side of the bonnet you can run a charger wire through without any compromise in closing the bonnet at all. I always thought was a wonderful little feature, as on my other cars a seal gets compressed by the wire which I find sub optimal - I guess there are bigger problems out there....

Comment

Been using a Ctek for years - the car sits in the garage with the windows down so I just plug it into the cigarette lighter socket.

Comment

Just start the engine every couple of weeks, it's quite fun driving the car folks. No charger required
                                S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Working...
                                X