Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Diffs

I know been covered many times before, i've tried searching but to no avail
    Just before I buy an E30 diff - is the E30 casing exactly the same as mcoupe casing?? - same bolt holes on top and front to attach??

I am getting a twin earred E36 diff cover to put on custom made mounts and sticking onto E30 diff if it fits rather than changing internals in my own diff

Thanks in advance
    pete

Yes and no

The e30 comes in 2 sizes small and medium you want a medium case one.

You will also have to swap out the outout shaft as the z'd has larger ones

If you fitting the e36 back plate the e30 chopper wheel fouls the speedo sender so you either have to trim the chopper wheel or make a 10mm spacer for the back plate.

1 possibilty is to use a shorter speedo sender but as I have never done that I am not sure which spec to use.
    BMW e21 track car
    Z3M (S62)
    2.8 Z3 Coupe
    Ariel Atom
    GT86 race car
    Ferrari 348 Challenge
    Merc G500

Comment

This link to Zroadster.net forum shows a thread that may be of interest to you. Southernboy who is based in South Africa has done some work on upgrading the rear diff on his Z3 and covers the subject of the spacer to sort the speedo p/u problem.

Hope this helps.http://www.zroadster.net/forum/viewt...359491#p359491
      Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
      2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
      1986 M635
      1985 E28 M5
      1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

cheers jason, yea it's a medium case i'm looking at, so i'll swap over output shafts - i take it thats just a case of tapping them out and swapping - easy enough to do hopefully??

re:back plate - if i remove speedo cable/sender will it then fit ok.. just not show speed on odometer or is there more to it than that?
        or, If i trim chopper wheel what are the consequences/complications of same

ah Pete C, just saw ur comment there - i'll check that link, cheers
        Last edited by zedmpete; 16-09-2013, 01:54 PM.

Comment

I'm interested in a diff as well and am waiting for a decent one to pop up somewhere
          '99 Z3 ///M Coupe
          '09 997 GT2

Comment

Yea the output shafts just flick out with a screw driver. There are slight differences with the oil seals but more because they've been updated (I would recommend replacing them at this point).

I noticed on a diff swap I did that I had a short and a long speedo sensor. So I had to swap the sensor over otherwise it fouled.

Comment

So... does this mean an M3 LSD medium case diff will fit straight into a Z3MC with just a rear casing swap, and checking the speedo sensor?

Comment

If you mean E30 M3 then yes that will fit, but it's the same diff really?

Comment

Working...
                X