Clocks (HUD) illumination

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clocks (HUD) illumination

A few niggles with the car i plan on getting sorted on its return from BMW, Does anyone know how to change the bulbs for the actual clocks? (e.g. coolant temp/rev dial has gone out)

Also the gauge bulbs, are they different wattage to say the ash tray/cigarette lighter? i recently changed the middle gauge (ext temp i think) and it seems to be duller than the other two ( i noticed both the other gauges had larger bulbs but i'm sure before the bulb went out it was just as bright?
    Last edited by shantybeater; 14-12-2009, 08:41 PM.

The clock at least has a "regular" capless bulb in it, about 3w I think (I put a more common 5w in and it was too bright' toned it down with some bulb paint though).

The dash clocks are different, tiny little buLbs (about 1.2w). There are two vertical philips screws that hole the cluster in; use something like a sink plunger to sucker on to the cluster facia and withdraw it but take care not to scratch the dash as it comes out.

Comment

Thanks for the reply, yeah the clock and oil temp both use the larger bulbs, neither of these bulbs died it was the middle external temp gauge which went, this has one of the smaller dash bulbs the same style as the heater controls/cigarette lighter/ash tray but when I got a replacement bulb from BMW it appears darker than both the other two gauges which would make sense since they are bigger bulbs, but I'm positive they all lit up evenly before? Do yours not?. I assume there is only one wattage for the small bulbs/LEDs
      Last edited by shantybeater; 15-12-2009, 02:19 PM.

Comment

Yea they should be evenly lit; try swapping the ashtray bulb for the temp gauge?

Comment

Well I bought two from BMW and they both do the same, id say maybe both the other gauges had their bulbs changed at some point for 5w's but the ext temp is really dull now and the bulb definately clicked into place! I'm a bit lost to be honest!!

Comment

picture showing rear of gauges and bulbs/wiring, (bulbs at top are a twist fit)

Last edited by Dave P; 18-10-2020, 01:45 PM.

Comment

and another picture,

Last edited by Dave P; 18-10-2020, 01:46 PM.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                X