Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adaptor Brackets for BBK

I am just testing the waters here...

I have a number of sets of adaptor brackets which would allow you to fit a BBK to the front of the Z3M. Once you have the brackets you will have 2 options:

1. Porsche 993 Turbo front calipers, Porsche 993 Turbo front 2-piece 322mm x 32mm discs with custom hats - I can supply them too. That's a set up offered by MovIT at a cost in excess of £2k. Currently fitted on my brother's Z3MC

2. Porsche 996 Carerra calipers, BMW Z4M/BMW E46 CSL 345mm x 28mm front discs. This was developed on my Z4MC and then trial fitted on my brother's G-Power Z3MC

Advantages of Option 1:

- biggest Porsche pad short of a 6-piston GT2/GT3 caliper
    - thick discs
    - already proven by MovIT

Disadvanatges:

- sourcing 993 Turbo calipers
    - you have to buy hats to fit the 993 Turbo 2-piece discs

Advantages of Option 2:

- easy to source 996 Carrera calipers
    - easy to source OEM BMW Z4M/CSL discs
    - no need to buy custom hats

Disadvantages of Option 2:

- smaller pad area
    - slightly thinner discs

The brackets are CNC machined from steel and come pre-drilled to fit the hubs of the Z3MC. I will also supply high tensile steel caliper bolts to fit either the 993 or 996 caliper and they are included in the price.

£150 per set of adaptor brackets, to include bolts and postage? I think it sounds fair. Will come with PDF instructions on instalation or happy to install them myself if you drop by.

That way, you can assemble your own BBK for a lot less - £150 for brackets, £260 for discs, £300 for calipers = £710

If you think this post should be elsewhere please move it and apologies if I have broken any forum rules.

Thanks,

Alex
    Imola Red BMW Z4M Coupe - daily hack
    Slate Gray Porsche 928GTR - race car
    Guards Red Porsche 928S2 - sunday best
    Oxford Green BMW E39 540iA Touring - daily hack

Sounds good, it's also worth considering (although you probably have!) that the E36 M3 setup is identical so would be a big market there.

Comment

It is probably worth noting that big reds (993 turbo) callipers will not fit under std z3m front wheels. i know as I have tried, unless someone else can tell me that I'm doing something wrong

Good idea otherwise though,

Paul

Comment

Rears next ?????
        [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
          Rears next ?????
          I can make a rear adapter bracket to utilise Porsche 996 rear calipers and either E46 M3 discs or Porsche 993 discs, but I really need to sell a few of the front brackets first before I throw money towards making the rears. If I sell the 5 front kits that I have at home, then the rears will be a definite go :)

Comment

Not wanting to pour cold water on anything here, but are you offering to source complete kit. or just brackets/bolts.
            The calipers are available, but sometimes you have to wait for a decent set to pop up on ebay, or similar site, also I think that braided hoses should be fitted at the same time, as well as decent pads and fluid.
            I think if people are going to source their own calipers etc. then they will take the trouble of doing the same with the brackets, ( as these are readily available from Germany ).
            Maybe you should offer a "complete kit" option at a reasonable cost, this way it's almost a "turn key" type of deal.
            By the way, I fitted these to my last coupe, ( the phoenix beast ), so I know how good they are, I actually machined my own brackets, ( after some help with dimensions ), sourced my own calipers/discs/hoses/pads etc. but not everyone wants to do all the leg work.
            I write this constructively, and hopefully you will get feedback from potential buyers regarding this.
            Steve.
            Last edited by steve1; 04-08-2010, 02:39 PM.
            2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

Originally posted by steve1 View Post
              Not wanting to poor cold water on anything here, but are you offering to source complete kit. or just brackets/bolts.
              The calipers are available, but sometimes you have to wait for a decent set to pop up on ebay, or similar site, also I think that braided hoses should be fitted at the same time, as well as decent pads and fluid.
              I think if people are going to source their own calipers etc. then they will take the trouble of doing the same with the brackets, ( as these are readily available from Germany ).
              Maybe you should offer a "complete kit" option at a reasonable cost, this way it's almost a "turn key" type of deal.
              By the way, I fitted these to my last coupe, ( the phoenix beast ), so I know how good they are, I actually machined my own brackets, ( after some help with dimensions ), sourced my own calipers/discs/hoses/pads etc. but not everyone wants to do all the leg work.
              I write this constructively, and hopefully you will get feedback from potential buyers regarding this.
              Steve.
              You make a lot of valid points...BUT:

1. If you are to buy the brackets from MTB you are looking at EUR300 per set. I offer them at £150, which includes the bolts and postage. Moreover, I do believe that I am offering a better product than the MTB one as the German adapter is cast, and mine is CNC machined.

2. I can offer the kit as a complete turn-key solution as I have access to new calipers at a decent cost. However I need to see real interest before I make the committment to buy calipers, hoses, pads etc.

3. I think by offering adapters on their own I am giving potential customers flexibility. Not many people want to splash say £1200 on a BBK in one go. On the other hand you can buy the brackets, then wait for the right calipers on eBay, then fit SS lines when you are changing brake fluid etc.

4. Thankfully I have a day job, which pays OK. I am only doing this as I have access to a good machinist and thought that any money that I can make out of this can go towards my racing this season and the planned mods on my Z4MC...

Comment

Glad you found some of my comments valid, that was the intention.
                I still think that, if possible, you should let people know a break down of costs of the relevent parts needed, if you can source new calipers, or at least re-built units, at a decent price then this will only help to keep prices down, as will any discount off the csl discs.
                As you say, most BBK are in the region of 2K, so going down this route enables buyers to buy a premium product at considerable savings.
                And yes, I do agree, your brackets are far cheaper than the mbt ones.
                Once again, I would ceratainly do this mod again if I owned another non-modded coupe.
                Steve.

Comment

Originally posted by steve1 View Post
                  Glad you found some of my comments valid, that was the intention.
                  I still think that, if possible, you should let people know a break down of costs of the relevent parts needed, if you can source new calipers, or at least re-built units, at a decent price then this will only help to keep prices down, as will any discount off the csl discs.
                  As you say, most BBK are in the region of 2K, so going down this route enables buyers to buy a premium product at considerable savings.
                  And yes, I do agree, your brackets are far cheaper than the mbt ones.
                  Once again, I would ceratainly do this mod again if I owned another non-modded coupe.
                  Steve.
                  Your post was very helpful, I suppose I need to make this a bit more formal - put pictures of the brackets, instalation pics etc and hope that people place orders...

You also raise an interesting point about discounts. As I said earlier I am not in the trade so to speak. Thus I am not sure whether I can get a discount on the CSL discs or the SS brake lines for example. Eurocarparts do genuine CSL discs for £130 a piece inc VAT, which already is very cheap for such a great product. Maybe if ECP and Godridge see an order for 10 sets of each I can get 5% off the price? The only product that I can source with a bit of a saving is the calipers, and the brackets of course :) Moreover, I am thinking that if I was to go the whole nine yards and offer a complete kit, I guess I need to factor in a bit of a margin for my effort and for saving my potential customers the hassle of bidding on ebay etc...

Comment

I think if you were to supply the "complete package" at an affordable price, then this will attract more people than just offering seperate parts.
                    As you say, ebay can be a real pain, and you never really know what you are buying until it arrives on your doorstep, as well as this, the calipers are not always available on ebay, and some are "well" used.
                    The other thing regarding this particular BBK is that it has been fitted by people on here, and to my knowledge not attracted any negative feedback, the only thing that has to made clear is that i don't think these will fit behind standard 17" rims.
                    Look forward to seeing your "complete package", ( you know what I mean ).
                    Steve.

Comment

are these brackets still available?

Comment

Just buy my Brembo BBK kit Dave!!
                        Black S50

Comment

Originally posted by chippy View Post
                          Just buy my Brembo BBK kit Dave!!
                          pm sent..............

Comment

Working...
                          X