Winter Storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
    The silica packets look like a good idea, has anyone tried using them?
    Ordered some off Amazon at the weekend. Time will tell how effective they are at keeping things dry inside.

If only I'd kept the little silica packets from every shoe purchase my other half has made I would have enough to fill several M Coupe's!!
    2002 Z3M S54 in LSB

Comment

My MC's kept in a timber garage, which can be quite damp sometimes, but it dries quickly due to being breathable and ventilated... Have to say I've never noticed any moisture build inside the cabin.

ACF50 is a worthwhile purchase gents - highly recommended protection spray
      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Here are some of the generic storage tips I’ve come across over the years. Some are good practice for any storage of more than a few months (eg winter storage) and some are for longer term storage (eg >12 months).

For Your Engine

NEVER start your car unless you plan on driving it for at least a half hour to get it to full operating temperature. It is far better to let it sit for 4-5 months than to idle the engine from time to time to “get the fluids running”. Doing so will just load the engine and exhaust with moisture and open the potential for rust.

Change the oil and filter – Oil gets contaminated during use and those contaminants can cause mild corrosion if left to sit for long periods of time (nb I don't do this for a hobby car which has done limited mileage since its oil service. I prefer to get oil changed after storage as much as anything to maintain the service history as much as an actual need to do it Wink

Top off the petrol from a quality station and avoid Ethanol if possible. Having the fuel topped off prevents condensation from forming in the tank and rusting it from the inside out. Don’t fill it to the top of the neck to leave a little room for expansion and contraction with varying temperatures.

For long term storage use a petrol preservative like Stabil to prevent the petrol from breaking down as well as preventing oxidation and rust formation. After adding it, run the engine for at least 10 minutes to allow the mixture to get through the entire system.

Before parking it for storage, take it for an extended drive to get all the fluids up to operating temperature in order to burn off contaminants in the oil and get rid of moisture in the crankcase and exhaust system.

If you live somewhere that rodents could be a concern, place steel wool or a rolled up scotch-brite pad in the tailpipes. It's good practice to place mouse traps around the car in any case Wink

For Your Transmission

Leave your car in gear. Handbrake off Use wheel blocks to prevent it from rolling

For Your Brakes

Never set the parking brake. The brake pads could stick to the rotors or the cables could freeze or rust during storage. Use wheel blocks.

After the final wash, drive it around for a little bit frequently applying the brakes to dry them off well. (nb never store a car immediately after a wash, always run it to temp and dry)

For Your Battery

Many people take their batteries out for storage as cool temperatures can reduce the life of the battery. Sitting for an extended period of time without recharging can also significantly reduce the life of a battery. For most cars it is ideal to purchase a float charger/battery tender to maintain the battery’s charge while it is parked. Classic trickle chargers if left un-monitored can overcharge the battery and also reduce it’s life. Float chargers, on the other hand, are designed to charge the battery to an optimal level then maintain that level without overcharging. The CTEK range of float chargers are well regarded.

For Your Tires

Slightly over inflate the tires by 5-10 psi to help avoid flat spotting from sitting in one place for a long time. This will also help compensate for the cooler temperatures.

Roll the car a few inches forward and back from time to time (without starting the engine of course).

Place cardboard or old carpet squares under the tires to separate them from the cold/hard concrete.

Some people choose to store their car on jack stands to take pressure off the tires completely, but this must be done right or it could cause more harm than good. Place the jackstands under the suspension so that all the bushings and springs sit as they do normally. Letting the wheels droop is hard on the suspension and exposes parts to rust that are normally protected.

For Your Exterior

Purchase a quality car cover for your car to protect it from dust, moisture and dings while stored.

Thoroughly wash (including the undercarriage if you can) and wax your car right before storing it.

Be sure it is completely dry before covering it as moisture is your worst enemy.

To stop moisture from getting under the car, put a couple layers of plastic sheeting under the entire car and several feet to either side. It’s cheap and a good vapor barrier.

For Your Interior

Close all the windows and put the system on max a/c to close the outside vent. If the garage is heated, the window can be left open a small crack to allow air circulation.

Put a large bag of desiccant gel or an open box of baking soda inside the car. These will absorb excess moisture from the air.

Clean and vacuum the interior. Use leather cleaner/conditioner and vinyl cleaner/conditioner as required.

Do NOT use water on the carpets or seats right before storage or you risk mold and mildew.

Do NOT treat inside surfaces with Armor-All (or similar products). They contain a lot of water and chemicals that can encourage mildew and mold.

So there you go. I don't do all of the above specifically for storage just over winter ie its a hobby car so is usually clean, waxed etc......
        VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Or you could just use it all year round!!!!!!!!!!
          S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by chagac View Post
            Ordered some off Amazon at the weekend. Time will tell how effective they are at keeping things dry inside.

If only I'd kept the little silica packets from every shoe purchase my other half has made I would have enough to fill several M Coupe's!!
            Worth doing for a couple of quid outlay I think

Comment

Although judging by how quickly the tank in my dehumidifier fills up if I don't use the hose drain, silica gel bags are not likely to work for long - brick single garage, non-insulated roof, say 1.5-2 litres every 2-3 days??

Comment

Working...
              X