Hello and which one to buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello and which one to buy?

New to the forum so hello everybody. I need some help please. I have narrowed my hunt down to 2 cars. It will be a second car not a daily and probably do about 1000 miles a year in it.

First is a black S54 with red/black leather and 105k miles. 9 or 10 owners. Excellent condition in and out and drives great. It's on coilovers so a smidge lower but otherwise all standard. The other one is a 62k mile S50 in Silver with all black leather and only 4 or 5 owners and totally standard and although the black S54 is in great condition, the silver one is cleaner underneath which I suppose is understandable because of the lower mileage.

Both have pro's and con's. Black S54 is maybe the better colour and rarer car, but has more owners and miles. Silver S50 is nice miles and owners but not the looks or rarity of the S54. Which one would you choose and why? I don't know how long I'll keep it for (hopefully a long time but who knows what the future holds) so I'd like to keep in mind future value too. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome to the forum

Comment

Welcome.

If resale and future value play a bigger part than joy of ownership and preference of spec' then I think the S54 would be the better choice.

They do seem to have that little "extra" when it comes to demand.

My 2p.

Comment

Hi!

Are they both priced the same now?
        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by Spooks View Post
          Hi!

Are they both priced the same now?
          The prices seem about right from what is currently advertised and there's not enough of a difference to sway me one way or the other so I'm really looking for the safest place for the money really (which I know isn't what everyone likes to hear but either way I'm going to love owning a Z3MC!)
          By the way I saw from previous messages on here that not everybody likes talking prices so I've deliberately not mentioned it.

Comment

Don't discount changes in view over time (E90 M3 is now viewed as an awesome all-round package with N/A engine, but when it came out it was a bloated V8 cruiser...), in the future the S50 may well be more revered due to cable throttle and no T/C - "the last truly analogue BMW" - who knows!

Lookswise, they are identical though apart from the darker chrome shadow wheels - but I personally prefer the brighter silverchrome from the S50, especially on a black car. If you prefer black go for that, but the at 62k miles, the S50 will remain low for years if you only intend to do 1000miles/year in it.
            Last edited by c_w; 14-02-2018, 05:29 PM.

Comment

They are both actually very different cars, engines, throttle, traction as well as notable cosmetic differences. S50 is E36 M3 based, S54 is E46 M3. Suggest you drive both if you can before deciding, you will see what I mean then.
              S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                They are both actually very different cars, engines, throttle, traction as well as notable cosmetic differences. S50 is E36 M3 based, S54 is E46 M3. Suggest you drive both if you can before deciding, you will see what I mean then.
                Differences are just the instruments and wheels aren't they, what am I missing?
                I drove both and both are spot on. Not much difference really. S54 has a few more horses but the way it delivers it is a little different I suppose. Throttle is maybe a bit crisper and the power and torque come lower in the range so you don't have to wind it up as much as the S50. S54 feels maybe more sporty probably because of the coilovers.
                So is it S54 for the rarity and looks or the S50 for the low mileage and low owners?

Comment

Low miles and owners would be my preference

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    " S50; the last truly analogue BMW" - who knows!
                    Completely agree with C_W, in my opinion that’s why these car demand such high prices. I don’t really get the S54 been a better option because they are fewer of them. I don’t know if any classic cars where the 2nd facelift model is more popular than the first.

I’d also go with a completely standard car, I’d only fit coilovers for track use or if I drove everywhere like an idiot, either way it suggests to me it’s been abused & had a hard life. Often owners opt for coilovers because they need suspension parts either through wear & tear or accident damage as coilovers are cheaper than OEM.

Comment

S54 s50

I have been fortunate enough to own both variants. My preference is the S54.
                      I like the small cosmetic changes, the later M3 engine & the rarity.
                      The power delivery is smoother (I am not saying better) which I prefer.
                      I enjoyed the S50 & found it more aggressive or possibly more urgent in its power.
                      It really depends what you want from this car purchase but it sounds like it’s more biased to investment. In my opinion you would be hard pushed to loose on either car.

Comment

With the low mileage you are expecting to do and you wanting potential investment it has to be the low mileage S50 I think.

You have to decide colour or miles. Let us know what you decide.

Failing that keep looking.
                        Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                        2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                        1986 M635
                        1985 E28 M5
                        1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Originally posted by Walk View Post
                          ............either way it suggests to me it’s been abused & had a hard life. Often owners opt for coilovers because they need suspension parts either through wear & tear or accident damage as coilovers are cheaper than OEM.
                          I don't agree with that at all.

Many owners fit aftermarket suspension just to improve on the soft wallowy OEM feel.

There is no question that quality aftermarket springs and dampers add to the driving experience.

Comment

Originally posted by fok View Post
                            I don't agree with that at all.

Many owners fit aftermarket suspension just to improve on the soft wallowy OEM feel.

There is no question that quality aftermarket springs and dampers add to the driving experience.
                            The OEM suspension is fine for normal road use, I would actually say very good. This is based on driving my MC for over 210K miles, both for business and pleasure. All my suspension has been replaced at some stage with OEM parts. Aftermarket suspension may suit some, but it can place undue stain on the car that the car was not designed to take. Suspension design (as many other things) is always a compromise between effect and cost. Having "lowered" a number of cars over the years, I have learnt this lesson the hard way. I personally would not buy a car for road use with aftermarket suspension, but each to their own.
                            IMO mileage is not really relevant if you want to use the car. Far more important is its service history and "pride of ownership". There is a 100K barrier for many car buyers, but see through this and you can get a bargain. This barrier might be a factor if the car was to be purchased as an investment I guess.
                            I would suggest look carefully at both cars and see how they meet your criteria, we all likely have different view points.
                            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

The S54 in black and red is one of just 15 uk cars in that spec according to these numbers

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19200

The S50 in silver and black is one of 72 uk cars

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19190

Comment

Working...
                              X