Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oil change and checking the oil cooler duct

Morning All!

Some point next week I'm going to do an oil change on the MC. While I'm at it I want to check the oil cooler duct as I'm still seeing higher than ideal temps when doing motorway driving (or anything fast).

I've found the diagram of the duct on RealOEM ( Part 16 http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/m/g/100.png) but can't quite work out how to access it. Do I need to remove the undertray to get access to it?

I'm assuming that removal of the undertray isn't necessary to get to the sump plug as I've seen that there's an access panel on this part of the undertray (http://www.realoem.com/bmw/diagrams/h/a/139.png). Do you usually disconnect the oil cooler pipes when draining the oil the ensure all the old oil is drained?

Cheers,

DC

Yep that's right, there is a small drain plug access hatch that is bolted to the undertray so only needs about 4 or 5 screws to remove that part.

The oil cooler/front air duct is separate to the undertray (there is a bit of a gap between the two parts which you'll see when you get under the car). I'm thinking it may have been refitted incorrectly and the top part of it is trapped and maybe blocking the airflow (it's a bit of a juggle to fit the top whilst clipping the bottom correctly from what I remember). Unless it's obviously damaged underneath I can't see a need to replace it.

Comment

One quick question.

There appear to be two drain plugs on this image (http://static.bmwfans.info/images/epc/MTAwM19w.png), one at the front left and one at front rear. Should I be draining from both?

Comment

Just the one (wasn't aware of the other one;might be for a different sump I'm not sure), but it will be obvious when you remove the corner access panel.

Comment

Use some engine flush first ! then remove the small undertray passenger in the area of the passenger side wheel,it is quite fiddily to get out tho...you will see the sump plug if you want to remove the oil cooler once again you will need to remove the front undertrays these ones are easy tho,looking at the front of the care you will find that there is a small hexagon bolt on the left hand side keeping that side up,if you then give it a horizontal tug,you will find that there is a small tongue that keeps the right hand side up,going back to the left hand side you might find that a small L shaped bracket falls out aswell once the bolt is removed this slips in to a small area near where the bolt came out of..sounds complicated but once youve gained access you will find it easy...Mel S50 BEM

Comment

I did the oil change on the weekend and had a look for the oil cooler ducts to try and see if anything was awry. Everything that was there seemed to be fitted correctly, however now that I'm looking thru realoem and bmwfans.info I can't recall seeing part 11 on this pic http://static.bmwfans.info/images/epc/MTYzNTQ2X3A=.png

Has anyone got a photo of this part fitted in place? I removed the front undertray to get access to the air cooler duct in the front bumper. That part was rather firmly fixed in place so I didn't try to remove it. However ,if I'm reading this diagram correclty, part 11 should be fitted behind the oil cooler. I'm pretty sure that it wasn't there, but could do with a photo of one fitted to know for sure.

Also, the coating on the oil cooler looked rather flakey. I guess that's to be expected after 10 years and 93,000 miles, but it did get me thinking about replacing it with a new one or getting it recoated (assuming that it was powder coated black to start with).

ps - I used Pitstart in Acton, thoroughly recommened if you don't have access to a pit or a ramp :)

Comment

part 11 sits on the front undertray.towards the back you will see there is three screw holes these are then screwed thru into the front tray and is attached before fitting the front tray..this confused me! but once assembled and screwed into place it was ok!i would not worry about repainting the oil cooler suround..

Comment

Working...
              X