Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boot floor / differential carrier failure! photos

Oh dear!

As some of you may have seen on my zroadster.net thread I have suffered the boot floor failure.

below are some photos.

I have read on here
    http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...ght=boot+welds
    that the diff bracket can be replaced. Anyone else got any bright ideas?

Photos tell the story but basically I got the car up in the air and once I took the exhaust heat shielding off the full extent of the damage could be seen.

My Dad is a mechanic but steers clear of the majority of welding and as the problems grew we have decided to leave it to the experts.

So I have stripped out the carpet etc. from the boot (took ages) then started to investigate the sound proofing only to realise you could see the outside world through the floor of my little Zed.

Not happy

I'll keep you all updated!

Diff bracket

Crack by N/S rear exhaust mounting

Heat shield off - OH DEAR!

Started to clean up the areas that need welding/patching

ARB (anti-roll bar) area is the worst affected

Most of the boot trim off

Boot floor doesn't look too bad!

Nut is the one that holds my tool kit in

Started to chisel off the stupid glue they smeared all over the floor

Rusty looking area is held together by glue

Two knackered welds under a bracket in the boot!

Oh well, I still know which one I would rather own!

Any comments very welcome, helpful ones please as I've had a bad day!

just found this, I knew it would be here somewhere!

reading it as I type!

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...+floor&page=23

Comment

loads of info on the site regarding how people have fixed the problem, hope you get it back on the road quickly - good luck.

Comment

Cheers Dave,

I have been reading all weekend stuff on zroadster and other forums, just been through the 20+ pages on above thread too. Guy coming to look at my car in the morning.

I'm praying for good news!

Comment

j-h-esus! That's possibly the worst tear I've seen!

Hope you sort it soon buddy!

Joe
          2002 BMW M Coupe (S54) in Sapphire Black with Imola Red Interior @ OEM+ Spec **Now with Wheels** **SOLD**

Need a holiday? Click here!

Comment

I've just had this too although I caught it early before it got too bad.

I've put a few pics in the link at the top of the page ^^^^^

Comment

I've been here too! It was a bit of a mess.

Mine got gussetted and seam welded for strength to take the extra torque from the LS1.

To be fair though, it took longer to scrape all the goopy sound deadening underseal type stuff off than it did to do the welding and fabrication itself.

Once yours is done you can have peace of mind and enjoy the car again....No big deal.

Comment

Originally posted by fok View Post
                I've been here too! It was a bit of a mess.

Mine got gussetted and seam welded for strength to take the extra torque from the LS1.

To be fair though, it took longer to scrape all the goopy sound deadening underseal type stuff off than it did to do the welding and fabrication itself.

Once yours is done you can have peace of mind and enjoy the car again....No big deal.
                sound deadening stuff is a waste of time on an MC, its noisy anyway, just stick a pillow or some foam (or loft insulation LOL!) under there

Click here to email me

Comment

Nah without the sound deadening you'll get resonance in those panels that's why it's on every panel, it reduces lower frequency noise, the foam/carpets etc is more for mid to high frequency.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                    Nah without the sound deadening you'll get resonance in those panels that's why it's on every panel, it reduces lower frequency noise, the foam/carpets etc is more for mid to high frequency.
                    fitting a V8 + fitting sound deadening =

Click here to email me

Comment

I get a lot of tyre and other “mystery” noises coming into the car...I think exaggerated by poly bushes, the dimensions / position of the driver cabin and a lack of sound deadening.

Comment

DONE! ! !

Got my car back yesterday, a trip to White Hart Lane to watch one of the best games I've ever seen meant I haven't been far in her yet but the short journey I have made was wonderful!

Some photos of the work carried out.

Must say that Tony at Allwood Engineering, Woking Surrey

01483 740743

is a great guy and has done a terrific job, quickly and helpfully.

Comment

Would it be rude to enquire about the cost of the repair work?
                          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Nice to see you have it fixed and just in time for the sunny Easter weekend!
                            2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

He is a mate of my Dad (also a mechanic) and I had stripped out the boot, carpet, chiseled off the goo etc. so I was cheap.

I asked about a price for a standard customer and he said about £300-350 depending on hours spent on the car.

Seems a great price to me.

Just been for a blast, back in love with my car again, now just been to sort the other rattles!

Comment

Working...
                              X