Accessing Rear Plate Fittings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Accessing Rear Plate Fittings

Hope someone can help me with this query on my 2000 Z3M Coupe.
    The rear number plate is currently held on by sticky pads as one of the fittings for the screw to hold them securely is missing. Have bought the fittings but not sure how I remove the plastic cover inside the bootlid as having removed the 2 screws from inside the boot the cover is still firmly in place. Have tried pulling it quite hard but it won't budge. Anyone managed to get this off without breaking it. Helppp!!!

Originally posted by keith_mcoupe View Post
    Hope someone can help me with this query on my 2000 Z3M Coupe.
    The rear number plate is currently held on by sticky pads as one of the fittings for the screw to hold them securely is missing. Have bought the fittings but not sure how I remove the plastic cover inside the bootlid as having removed the 2 screws from inside the boot the cover is still firmly in place. Have tried pulling it quite hard but it won't budge. Anyone managed to get this off without breaking it. Helppp!!!

Hi Keith

When actually changing plates on my car I have pushed that rubber thread screw thing through so many times and it is indeed very irritating.

To remove the plastic trim inside the boot you have to remove the screws as mentioned. The cover is then held on with door car circular compression clips – These will require a decent tug to get them to let go. Try doing it in one of the corners with short hard tugs and don’t worry about breaking the clips as they are available of the shelf from BMW for a few pence.

Good luck
    Out: 99 S50 Titan Silver V876 KKO
    In: 98 S50 Estoril.......

Comment

Just an after thought, but if you have the new rubber screw threads that push into the holes on the bootlid you shouldn't actually need to remove the trim inside the boot lid....

Comment

Thanks

Thanks for that useful info - like you one of the seats for the screw has been pushed through to the inside or is missing completely hence I do need to get that darn cover off.

Comment

Hi guys.

I can confirm that you do not need to remove the interior boot trim to change them as I had one break on me the other day when changing plates over for my MOT.

The rubber grommet things with a nut built in just push in so you do not even need to open the boot to change them.
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by keith_mcoupe View Post
            Thanks for that useful info - like you one of the seats for the screw has been pushed through to the inside or is missing completely hence I do need to get that darn cover off.

TBH I'd leave it there and buy another because once that cover is of they still are a proper PITA to get out. The boot lid has another metal skin inside that is not really accessable, you just have to keep raising and lowering the lid to try and get the nut to move / jump out.

Comment

Working...
            X