Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hi chris - sorry for not responding. I only tend to dip in and out of the forum every now and again.
    Glad you found the garage, they are proper old skool guys who have a real love and passion for cars. The place looks like an old farm shed but they did a really good job on the car, and they even give you a hand written daily log of the work they did - not a computer in sight!!

Good luck with the restoration

Comment

• Thanks! Taking the car there tomorrow hopefully. I’ll keep this thread up to date once the works done.
      2000 Z3M coupe, Titansilber Silver with Kyalami/Black seats
      2001 e39 540i, Topaz Blue
      1971 2002tii, Bristol Grey

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

• Best of luck!

Comment

• Got the car back yesterday.
          Turns out the subframe wasn't too bad at all. There was one or two suspect hair line possible cracks around the diff bracket. No spot welds had gone.
          I had the strenghtening kit installed all the same. Thought it was best to prevent it happenening in the future.
          The reason for the squeaks where put down to the hard poly bushes and the top mounts. I had the Rogue engineering top mounts installed and new BMW rubber bushes fitted all over including the diff bush.
          The squeaks have all gone and the car feels far better with the softer bushes. The rock hard bushes where a nightmare.
          Attached Files

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

• Is that the Randy Forbes’ strengthening kit? Looks like it’s a single eared version - didn’t realise he did that, thought he only had double eared strengthening kit.
            1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
              Is that the Randy Forbes’ strengthening kit? Looks like it’s a single eared version - didn’t realise he did that, thought he only had double eared strengthening kit.
              Yeah its Randy Forbes. His kit works with both single and double. Its up to you if you wanted to change to the other diff cover. I opted to keep it original, the car is never going to be tuned so single should now be fine and I didn't fancy forking out more money for the new diff cover etc.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

• Nice one Chris. Would it be rude to ask how much you've paid for the kit and the work done? Handy for us all to have references for such.
                Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

• The kit was $710 delivered to the U.K.

Fitting it completely depends on how bad your car is. I had all my bushes done at the same time so not sure what the price would be to just have the kit fitted.

My guess would be £750 - £1000 for just kit fitted. £2000 - £3000 plus if you back end is hanging off.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

• Originally posted by Ian_C View Post
                    Is that the Randy Forbes’ strengthening kit? Looks like it’s a single eared version - didn’t realise he did that, thought he only had double eared strengthening kit.
                    Originally posted by Chris W View Post
                    Yeah its Randy Forbes. His kit works with both single and double. Its up to you if you wanted to change to the other diff cover. I opted to keep it original, the car is never going to be tuned so single should now be fine and I didn't fancy forking out more money for the new diff cover etc.
                    I never knew this and never liked the twinned eared diff covers (even though they are no doubt superior) so this is good the know. Does this mean you can use the original back boxes or do they still need to be modified?

Comment

• Thanks for the info Chris. It's preventative work that's on my to-do list
                      Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                      ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                      Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                        I never knew this and never liked the twinned eared diff covers (even though they are no doubt superior) so this is good the know. Does this mean you can use the original back boxes or do they still need to be modified?
                        Here’s a link to his website which kind of explains how the kit can be used for both single and double ear diffs.

http://www.spcarsplus.com/blog/

Yes the original exhaust works fine unless you change the diff cover. I thought it wouldn’t but it’s fine.

I ended buying another used exhaust that had only been on a car for only 10k miles. Sorry I should messaged you saying I wasn’t buying yours. It looked brand new until they tried to fit it. The brackets were bent and had to be fabricated to fit. The car it came from must of been crashed at the front and the exhaust forced back. Other from that it was perfect.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

• Originally posted by Chris W View Post
                          Here’s a link to his website which kind of explains how the kit can be used for both single and double ear diffs.

http://www.spcarsplus.com/blog/

Yes the original exhaust works fine unless you change the diff cover. I thought it wouldn’t but it’s fine.

I ended buying another used exhaust that had only been on a car for only 10k miles. Sorry I should messaged you saying I wasn’t buying yours. It looked brand new until they tried to fit it. The brackets were bent and had to be fabricated to fit. The car it came from must of been crashed at the front and the exhaust forced back. Other from that it was perfect.
                          No problem regarding the exhausts

Comment

• Does the title of this thread need to be updated? any suggestions for something more descriptive

Comment

• The Bottom Inspectors?

S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Seca Blue View Post
                                The Bottom Inspectors?

Not really what I had in mind

Comment

Working...
                                X