Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for an MCoupe and some questions.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for an MCoupe and some questions.

Hello,

I have been directed to this website by M44HNY who is a good friend of mine and I have always lusted after an MCoupe after seeing his Arctic silver example.

After owning an e30 m3, an RX8 and an e46 m3, the time has come for an MCoupe. Prices haven't really budged from last year and it could well be an appreciating classic.

So, the question is, should I pick up a low(ish) mileage S50 or hold out for an S54?

I have owned BMW's for a few years and have stayed clear of S50's possibly due to Vanos issues, I don't know.... :?

Anyway, the whole S50 vs S54 debate is in my mind......regardless of whether the car has a BMW Warranty as sooner or later I will have to reluctantly stump up for that again (£1080plus £250xs)

Do I buy an S50's MCoupe for £15-£17k and take the vanos on the chin if it happens, attempting to mitigate it where possible with oil change galore and filters replacement....

Vanos replacements used to receive no change from £2k at the stealers, what are we looking at nowadays?

or

Do I spend £20-£21k and buy an s54'd MCoupe with the familiar grunt of the s54 that I was used to? I know Thorney motorsport can rebuild an s54 for £1.5k

So, what should I do guys? Is Vanos as overhyped as I guess it might be? as I know about 10 people with a mix of e36 m3's, Zm3/Mcoupes with seemingly flawless Vanos systems...

Some advice is welcome

Thanks

Re: Looking for an MCoupe and some questions.

Originally posted by Rags

Do I buy an S50's MCoupe for £15-£17k and take the vanos on the chin if it happens, attempting to mitigate it where possible with oil change galore and filters replacement....

Vanos replacements used to receive no change from £2k at the stealers, what are we looking at nowadays?

or

Do I spend £20-£21k and buy an s54'd MCoupe with the familiar grunt of the s54 that I was used to? I know Thorney motorsport can rebuild an s54 for £1.5k
    It's a no-brainer.

if you can afford the £21k or so for an S54 and you're looking at a rebuild of £1.5k at the worst case scenario (total = £22.5k) in comparison to a £17k S50 with a worst case scenario of Vanos replacement £2k (total = £19k), then the actual difference in price at the worst case scenario situation = £3.5k for a much newer car with probably many less miles. I only know of 2 S54s which have had bearing shell failure.

Personally, I wouldn't bother with BMW EW. I take my own advice and I've saved myself about £1k already 8) Go the Indy route.
    /// Exdos ///
    "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Exdos - I disagree that it's a no brainer :idea: .

For a start, if your budget runs out at 21k, then you have a problem in the (v unlikely?) event that the S54 lunches itself. With the S50, if the the big payout happens, you're still left with some change.

Also, if you're interested in mods (suspension is always the one people find make a big difference), then again the S50 route may be preferable in that you can use some of the saving to do this as soon as you like.

I wouldn't worry about any difference in grunt. Based on my experience driving on several MC meets with other owners (including Exdos :wink: ), the S54's 4bhp advantage counts for nothing. Any difference in driver ability counts for way more than that.

I deliberately bought a highish mileage example to save money knowing that I would put lower than average miles on it for several years. So now it actually has below average mileage for its age. This may also be something to think about if you plan to re-sell at some stage (unlike Exdos :wink: ).

I guess it comes down to how much you want to spend (and therefore the opportunity cost of what you spend, ie what you would otherwise do with it) and how comfortable you (and others for resale) are with the S50/S54 major problems.

Of course, S50 owners like me may be biased towards the S50 idea and S54 owners like John towards that!

Agree that EW is no longer worth the cost, especially if you go higher mileage. Hope this is helpful - just my personal view, you have to make the decision (whichever you go for you'll be smiling)! :P

Comment

I actually agree with a lot of Ben's points, but I always assume that people who buy expensive second hand cars have enough savings in reserve to cover themselves for all the permutations of "rainy days" which can come your way. Of course, I could be very wrong with this assumption.

Originally posted by BenH
        Based on my experience driving on several MC meets with other owners (including Exdos ), the S54's 4bhp advantage counts for nothing.
        BenH

Sounds like fighting-talk to me :wink:
        See you on Saturday in your S50 :!: 8)
        /// Exdos ///
        "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
          Originally posted by BenH
          Based on my experience driving on several MC meets with other owners (including Exdos ), the S54's 4bhp advantage counts for nothing.
          BenH

Sounds like fighting-talk to me :wink:
          See you on Saturday in your S50 :!: 8)
          I'd better make sure my throttle cable is tightened right up then.... no such problem for S54, maybe I agree with you after all! :wink:

Can't wait - at least it's a short week this week! The weather forecast is looking pretty 8) too.

Comment

I forgot to mention another financial implication. The S54 runs much longer between services than the S50. I've had mine from 3.5k miles and for almost 3 years now, in that time I've done some 20k miles. I've had just one routine oil service and two brake fluid changes. I've also had an extra oil change, since I think 12k miles or more is too long to make the oil last. I've still got one green light on the service indicator which I've been expecting to change to amber for ages. So in three years its cost me about £450 in servicing 8) :!:
            /// Exdos ///

Comment

Are you the same Rags from bm3w? if so sorry to hear about your car mate! :cry:

Comment

Originally posted by exdos
                I forgot to mention another financial implication. The S54 runs much longer between services than the S50. I've had mine from 3.5k miles and for almost 3 years now, in that time I've done some 20k miles. I've had just one routine oil service and two brake fluid changes. I've also had an extra oil change, since I think 12k miles or more is too long to make the oil last. I've still got one green light on the service indicator which I've been expecting to change to amber for ages. So in three years its cost me about £450 in servicing 8) :!:
                Thats an interesting look on it actually.

My e46 m3 had what appeared to be ridiculous service intervals, but in actual fact its controlled by fuel consumption and a time parameter. ie.The service indicator will count down over the course of either using 2275 litres of fuel or 716 days since the last re set.

I know that the S54, once the recall has been done, is pretty much 'bullet proof', as hardly any e46 m3's blow up. This is all providing they have been treated well etc. Im mad when it comes to car upkeep anyhow.....3000mile oil changes are a given

What is the s50 like for servicing(real world recommended servicing in terms of service lights etc)?
                I will still be doing filters and oil every 3kmiles.....

In terms of Vanos failures in Mcoupes, what are they like on this site.? Many gone?

I would think that MCoupes are cars that are more 'cared for' by owners than the respective run of the mill e36 m3 evo's so perhaps less prone to failed vanos units, or is that wishful thinking on my part?

In terms of financing the car, I have about 25k to spend so the 21k asking price of the s54 is obtainable, but a slightly older S50 for 15-16k makes sense if the Vanos issues are not as much of a ticking time bomb as I think they might be.....

So the saving can be used for upkeep/mods/house stuff....

Saying that, I was almost about to put down 25k for an RS4 But then the MCoupe seemed more 'me'.

Food for thought......

Comment

Originally posted by BMWboy
                  Are you the same Rags from bm3w? if so sorry to hear about your car mate! :cry:
                  Hello,

Yes it is moi, well spotted.

Yes, I am gutted about it, but onwards and upwards as they say!

Gutted :shock: :cry:

Rags!

Comment

I think there have been just as many grumbly / chattery VANOS gears replaced on S50 engined MC's as there were M3's ! Whether that was just because they were noisy is another debate ! Believe Thorney et al can do this for circa 1k, but noise is likely to come back after a while anyhow...

If I had 20k+ to spend I'd have to go for the S54, no brainer for me, it's rarer and the last of it's type, will always carry a premium IMHO.

Not driven one with it, but sounds like the suspension upgrades are very worthwhile, and some of the other mods as per your taste (e.g. 'zaust, 18" (I don't like the look on 19"), ACS flippers+roof spoiler would do me !) - but obv don't have to be done immediately.
                    -------------------------
                    Ex Ex Ex: 1998 M Coupé, Estoril/Estoril+Black. HK+ MD+CD Changer, roof, side bags, lamp wash.
                    Ex Ex: 1998 M3 Evo Coupé, Estoril / Blk with all the toys.
                    Ex: 2004 Z4 3.0i, Silver / blk with no roof.
                    Now: 2003 M3 CSL, Silver Grey, lots of carbon fibre.

Comment

I had mine serviced at Munich Legends recently, and they have a lovely Imola S54 for sale - not sure of price or mileage - but it looked fantastic!
                      Anyhoo, I expressed an interest in the car, saying that once I have clocked up a few more miles in my S50, I'd swap to an S54, and Barney @ ML suggested that I stay in an S50 engined ZMC!!
                      (I forget his reasoning now, but it was along the lines of the S50 being a strong engine ... )

The 4bhp extra will make little difference in the melting pot that is wheel size, suspension set up, fuel, tyre, driver etc but saying that I have heard that the S54 is supposed to be smoother ...

Depending on the type and frequency of use, I think that I'd be with BenH, a well sorted S50.

In Artic Silver of course ..... :wink:
                      The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
                      RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

Originally posted by Rags

My e46 m3 had what appeared to be ridiculous service intervals, but in actual fact its controlled by fuel consumption and a time parameter. ie.The service indicator will count down over the course of either using 2275 litres of fuel or 716 days since the last re set.
                        I've just done the maths and 2275 litres = 500gallons and I reckon that I average no more than 22mpg = 11K miles. Therefore the service indicator mustn't entirely work on this on my S54.
                        /// Exdos ///

Comment

Working...
                        X