Help please - brake pads!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help please - brake pads!

The missus has just been told her ZMC needs new brake pads - at over £800...Seems a bit steep even by Beamer standards.Can anyone recommend good alternative pads please?
    Ross

are they ceramic or something , my ebc are great (when warm)
    Gruppe M
    EBC redstuff Pads
    EBC drilled and grooved discs
    Braided brake lines
    Gun-metal alloys
    Strong Strutt
    KW Variant 3

Comment

I would go with either EBC Red stuff or Ferodo DS Performance pads
      S54 Phoneix Yellow/Black on Black, ACS Suspension, ACS Exhaust, ACS Short Shift, ACS Front Splitter, ACS Rear Spoiler

Comment

Take it to an independant - I have just had my pads replaced:
        £98 for the fronts and £50 ish (i cannot remember ops: ) for the rears.
        This was done at Munich Legends (see my post in 'Good/Bad Dealer' section for contact details).

Otherwise Ferrodo's DS range are supposed to be very good. I think that Maahny sells them (Fronts at about £170 if I remember rightly.)
        See the 'XSPerformance' section.
        The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
        RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

You can have a whole set (front and rear) Ferrodo DS2500's for £167.41 plus £11 postage. They are a good performance pad and will perform better than BMW OEM pads. A good indy should not charge you a lot to change them.

Ferrodo pads...

http://www.xsperformance.co.uk/e30zo...f6e058576c6d1a

Comment

I remembered wrongly!! ops:
            The M Coupe ... For those who understand, no explanation is needed. For those who do not understand, no explanation is possible.

Now ... S54: Sapphire Black/Black-Black/HK+6/Cruise/Sun Roof/H~Lamp wash///ACS Road Suspension/Rogue Engineering rear top mounts/Braided clutch hose
            RIP ... S50: Artic Silver/Black-Grey/HK+6/Cruise/Side 'bags/Grad Tint///ACS Short Shift/Strong Strut/K&N/HIDs & Angels

Comment

for £800 it must be discs too!

Comment

Originally posted by B3N
                for £800 it must be discs too!
                And a large amount of mark up on top!
                /// Exdos ///
                "Men who try the impossible and fail spectacularly are infinitely superior to those who reach for nothing and succeed" --Napoleon Bonapart

Comment

I agree, Rear discs aren't cheap, Fronts aren't either (but cheaper than rears :? ) + Pads from BMW (which aren't bad, but better can be had for the money, I'm on Mintex) + 2 hours of Labour (way over, but likely) and I can see how they could almost get to £800!

Bloody rip off. Local garage can do it all for you. All you need are the parts and more than likely the discs will last a fair bit longer, they always err on the side of caution and swap them out early.
                  Rob

My car NOT for sale

Comment

I got my discs and pads changed all round at an indy about a year ago and the whole lot only cost £450. All genuine BMW parts etc. £800 and they're having a laugh!
                    Ex - S50 Estoril
                    Current - TVR T350C

Comment

The front floating discs are about £90-£95 each from BMW. Not sure why the rears would be cheaper as they are a standard vented disc.

Comment

When the missus went to pick her MC up the price had dropped to £695 but they would match anyone else's quote. I asked her to show me the quote and she produced a little BMW card with "Brakes £695" on it. I'm phoning the service manager on Wednesday.
                        I had 2 piece front discs fitted to my Evo with braided hoses all round and a hefty master cylinder brace and the performance with DS2500 pads is lovely, but she won't have anything apart fro BMW parts on her car and she won't let me modify it at all. Big sigh!
                        Ross

Comment

Good timing lads!!

Inspection II on Wednesday and I've a sneaking suspicion that I'm going to get a phone call from the stealers suggesting I have the same done but my response is now going to be totally different to what I was originally going to give having read the above. Once again, cheers for the advice.

Have been thinking about using Munich Legends unless anyone knows a good Indy that's closer to Brighton?
                          98S Estoril

Comment

Munich Legends have got to be worth the 60 mile round trip?
                            It's about 140 mile round trip for me, and I will continue to use them for the inspections.
                            FYI - ML's labour rate is £55 p/hour.

Comment

Re changing pads via a local garage. I had the misfortune of getting my rears replaced by a right set of monkeys who ruined the wire which let s you know the brake wear - new wires were as much as it was to replace the pads.

Comment

Working...
                              X