MAF sensor cleaned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MAF sensor cleaned

EDIT: WARNING, I would advise to only try this if you are having problems with your engine (eg lumpy/rough idle etc...) and suspect it is your MAF.
    My first run after cleaning as below produced a faulty MAF The car had stood for a week or so since I cleaned the MAF and car started fine and ran perfectly for 70 miles. But on stopping to refuel the car would not restart
    The car would actually start but not rev and idle at 500rpm for a second and die out. Turned out to be faulty MAF so I had damaged it by cleaning

It is worth noting though that the car ran fine with the MAF disconnected, just a little down on top end power but ran smooth.

So if you suspect MAF problems I would suggest just disconnecting the MAF and taking for a run (engine management light will be on but will cause no damage as car uses a "default" MAF reading). If the symptoms go then you know its your MAF and you can have a go at cleaning.

On fitting a new MAF it ran "rough" for a minute and then sorted itself out. Engine management light stayed on for approx 20 miles and was off next time I started car up.

Original Post:

Although my car seems to be running fine I've read about plenty of people who have had problems that have resulted from faulty MAF sensors.

So I decided partly out of curiosity and partly for preventative maintenance, to clean the MAF sensor on my S54 engine.

Please note that the MAF sensor is c£200 to replace so care should be taken to handle it with respect :shock:

On the S54 engine the MAF sensor is connected to the rear of the airbox. On the S50 it is a slightly different design and fitting but I presume just as easy to clean.

Here is the RealOEM LINK for an S54.

The part number is 13627839014 and is common to a lot of ///M series models (ie e46 M3; M5; M6; Z4m)

Note that you will need a special "security" Torx drive to remove two securing torx screws.

Here is the MAF sensor in situ:

Here is a security Torx Screw and driver. Note the requirement for a "hollow" in the drive meaning a normal Torx drive will not fit :wink:

First of the two securing screws being removed:

You then "pinch" the electrical connector block and pull it off:

The MAF Sensor removed from the car.

Note one of the sensor wires. This works by measuring the amount of current required to keep the wire at a set temperature. Air flow over this wire affects the current required. Even though this is held in the airflow after the air filter it can still get a build up of dirt deposits (or oil off an oil based filter medium) which affect the accuracy of the air flow reading and hence the fuel mixture the engine uses. This not only affects fuel consumption but can result in perceived "flat spots" in throttle response.

On close inspection the wires did not seem to exhibit any contamination but I decided to clean them anyway.

I had sourced some MAF cleaner from eBay (following recommendations on other forums)

You simply spray this onto the MAF wires. Note do not touch the wires directly, just with the cleaning spray. You can flood the area to ensure any deposits are washed away.

The fluid evaporates very quickly. Here is a pic stright after the process following a minute of "wafting" in the air.

It is then left for 10minutes to dry completey and fitted back to the car (do not start the car until completely dry).

Note which way the MAF is refitted:

So its a simple 10 minute job.

Car started fine but I did not have chance to drive it :bawl: .

I don't really expect it to make much difference as the car was running fine anyway but hopefully this will help people who are experiencing some of the problems noted above to see how easy it is to try this solution yourself (ie no need to take to a garage to get your MAF cleaned). Given how simple this is there really is no reason not to add it to an inspection II type service.
    Last edited by Jonttt; 13-04-2010, 07:04 PM.
    VIDEO or Journal

I done the same thing on mine S50 didnt really need cleaning! didnt make any difference! and how BMW came up with the stupid price of a new one is beyond my thoughts...total rip off in my mind...but that said...an easy job if you suspect a problem with it...

Comment

Just to make it clear as its been pointed out on another forum that it isn't, there is more than one wire to be cleaned.

This pic from another forum shows it much better then mine ;-)

I did not "soak" and "swab" as some advise, I preferred the gentle spray over a few minutes (I used half the can) which aggitates and cleans without physical touching.

Of course if your MAF is actually playing up you could be more aggressiveas a last resort prior to replacement but mine did not need this.
      VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Found this very useful, suspected
        mine to be on it's way out , idle
        speed erratic etc. I used contact
        cleaner and a cotton bud because
        it was quite dirty . Problem has not
        arisen since

Comment

Good to hear.

Out of interest are you running OEM air filter or an oil based one?
          VIDEO or Journal

Comment

Currently it's running a simota carbon
            but personally I can't stand it !, looks
            a bit nasty to me . I'm on the lookout
            for a standard airbox , one on eBay
            for an e36 m3 which I believe is the same
            but £50 +p/p for a bit of plastic !!, ouch !!!

Comment

does anyone have details for the same job on an s50 please

Comment

Mine is an s50 , pretty much the
                same procedure , maf looks slightly
                different on mine but once you've
                removed it you can still clean it
                in the same way

Comment

it is a lot different though and no wires on it like the one above , just seems to be a large flat sensor

Comment

Thats the part you clean , mine was
                    quite dirty so I used a cotton bud to
                    remove the worst with a can of contact
                    cleaner

Comment

Working...
                    X