cd prep question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• cd prep question

looking to find out where the 12v supply to the boot mount cd changer comes from on a S50 with a factory fitted or cd prep option
    I believe the plug is like the one pictured (from a E36)

Bump, if anyone is about to remove their rear trim to replace suspension mounts if they could have a look for the cd changer power cable it would be much appreciated

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
      Bump, if anyone is about to remove their rear trim to replace suspension mounts if they could have a look for the cd changer power cable it would be much appreciated

bump

Comment

Bump

Comment

So it appears the cd power cable doesn't exist according to realoem/BMW parts so may have only been available when fitted at the factory? so I need to make up my own power lead which is straight forward but does anyone know a safe place to tap

into 12v permanent live in or around the boot area or centre console other than direct to the battery?

Comment

I have a spare connector which is part of the audio loom which looks like a power cable for the cd changer Ai ?

Last edited by Dave P; 14-04-2018, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Anyone know what this cable is - wires are pretty thin

Comment

Dave - have you tried do download an ETM (Electric Troubleshooting Manual) for the car ? On other BMWs I have had these (once you work out how to read them) cover every single wire and connector regardless of whether its available as a part or not. It will also help you work out where to tap into a power supply.

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                  Dave - have you tried do download an ETM (Electric Troubleshooting Manual) for the car ? On other BMWs I have had these (once you work out how to read them) cover every single wire and connector regardless of whether its available as a part or not. It will also help you work out where to tap into a power supply.
                  Good idea Matt I will look into it

Comment

the anorak in me couldn't help but look. I could only find a US ETM so worth checking in a Euro one. But the connector in there for the CD changer is X18180, a 3 pin black connector with the 3 pins all in a line next to each other. From your pic that may well be the one.

It gets power via pin 2 from Fuse 9, and is connected to the stereo via pin 3 - which joins up with pin 7 on the stereo harness. Hope all this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by MattH3764 View Post
                      the anorak in me couldn't help but look. I could only find a US ETM so worth checking in a Euro one. But the connector in there for the CD changer is X18180, a 3 pin black connector with the 3 pins all in a line next to each other. From your pic that may well be the one.

It gets power via pin 2 from Fuse 9, and is connected to the stereo via pin 3 - which joins up with pin 7 on the stereo harness. Hope all this helps.
                      Thanks Matt that's really helpful, it appears to be the ibus type connection for the US market cd changer for some reason, what I need to find out is whether they used this in UK cars with some kind of adapter or used a separate cable for the power to the UK spec cd changer A.

If anyone is taking their rear trim out can they look for me as there appears to be no info online regarding retro fitment of a cd changer for the M Coupe. I have been told by a forum member there is a separate cable for power attached to the audio loom but not sure if this is the same one I have with the wrong connector?
                      Last edited by Dave P; 17-04-2018, 05:50 PM.

Comment

pictures of CD changers on ebay (search on 65128361266) do indeed appear to have two harnesses coming out of the back. The first ends in a white connector that looks like it may join up with your black plug. the second is a much fatter one which I suppose could be a separate power supply.

annoyingly realoem doesn't give a part number when looking for the CD changer on a US car (at least not the year I chose) so I cannot easily tell if that's different.

Comment

The US cd changer Ai has top plugs,

and the UK cd changer A has two different plugs,

Comment

No sure what your wanting to do Dave but the “US” changer that has the two small connectors is the standard BMW one for E46 models, also fitted in E53 X5’s, E39 5 series etc but not sure it would work with your head unit, even if it did you would need the other 6 pin lead that I cannot see in your pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Walk View Post
                              No sure what your wanting to do Dave but the “US” changer that has the two small connectors is the standard BMW one for E46 models, also fitted in E53 X5’s, E39 5 series etc but not sure it would work with your head unit, even if it did you would need the other 6 pin lead that I cannot see in your pictures.

I am looking to wire up my cd changer which currently has been wired direct to the battery and also find out how it was done originally by the factory. I don't think the cd changer ai would work with my RDS pro which is mbus.

Comment

Working...
                              X