Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Knowledgebase
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 31-07-2017, 11:46 AM
Administrator

Default Diff swap 3.46

Saw this old thread on another forum,

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12327
Old 31-07-2017, 04:51 PM

Having done a few diff swaps (from standard 3.15 to 3.38, 3.46 and now 3.45), I would say that it's faster to drop the whole rear end that just the diff on its own. I dropped the lot in 50minutes including jacking the rear up a few weeks ago (I did have practice as I had dropped and put it back up the week before so makes it a lot easier and faster to do it again so soon!).

The main pain when just swapping the diff itself is getting the 4 top diff bolts back through, they need the diff to be perfectly aligned and you are working blind. I remember getting seriously agitated when I was refitting it!! You're better dropping the exhausts off either method, so it's only a matter of disconnecting the handbrake cables (at the handle end), hanging the rear brake calipers on the body (so no brake lines disconnected), 3 big subframe/diff nuts, 4 nuts on the propshaft, plus the anti roll bar and dampers and the assembly comes down and dead easy to work on.

Tags
diff