Fuel tank straps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel tank straps

Has anyone replaced the fuel tank straps? I understood the fuel tank to be suspended on 2 straps that can be seen from underneath, with foam pads trapped between the straps and the tank (which often fall out or disintegrate).

I went to BMW to order the two straps as they're quite rusty on mine, and one of them is on backorder with no delivery date (16111185032 "tension strap"). So I ordered gthe only one they could get (16111185025) which was called a "support".

Realoem only shows these two part numbers with 1 of each fitted to the car. I just assumed one for each side of the tank (despite the different descriptions).

However, I went under the car before and the part I have looks like it's for the passenger side which is in two parts; the part I have is the upper part, but there is a second part of the strap that connects to it. There's also the driver's side strap, so I've not idea what the part numbers are for these??

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0361

I'll take a photo of mine. In my mind there are t3 straps - if you include the carbon filter.

Comment

Having a closer look under mine, it appears the item 7 "Support" is not what is being indicated on realoem. It's more of a straight bar that fastens to the under body and one of the straps hangs off it.

I've no idea if the straps are the same part number (I doubt they are) but no idea why there is only one listed [that you can't buy anyway!].

Comment

Does seem like the other one is listed under charcoal as you mentioned!

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/show...diagId=16_0215

Comment

Are these easy to replace ?

Comment

I read it's possible with the subframe in place but it would be tight. I had the subframe off last week but in the end reseated some new foam between the tank and straps and cleaned them up then gave them a good undersealing.

Comment

I did mine with the tank and subframe still in place, not easy but just about do-able but only 2 of the 3 tank straps are available at the moment with no eta from BMW

Comment

Cheers chaps

Comment

Found the old pictures of the three tank straps amongst a few other parts,

Comment

Anyone know if these are the same for S54? - I'd assume they are.
                    Anyone know the part numbers for the set?

Comment

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
                      Anyone know if these are the same for S54? - I'd assume they are.
                      Anyone know the part numbers for the set?
                      Same as S50 I think, no set as such.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/part...BMW-Z3_M&mg=16

parts under fuel tank and charcoal filter, only 2 of the 3 currently available from BMW.

Comment

I think all three tanks straps are now available new from BMW at the moment

Comment

Working...
                        X