Speaker upgrade advise over basic system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Speaker upgrade advise over basic system

Is there such a thing as a direct replacement speaker set for the poor basic setup?
    I am not after 300w of thumping bass, just a little bass would do, i have no experience with this type of thing, adding amps, subs and lots of re-wiring is alien to me, and i don't fancy ripping out the interior too much, can much improvement be made by changing the roof or door mounted speakers? Or do i need to think bigger for a worthwhile improvement?

As far as i am aware the roof mounted speakers as standard are next to useless! i have the hk set up so bass is not a problem,somewhere on here there is a thread with an upgrade to speakers,it involved lots of packing out various gaps surounding the speaker holes ets,maybe an upgrade to a different head unit!lots of us have gone for different types of Becker units as the still look oem,when i took mine in to have my headunit changed the chap did not find it impossible to swap the roofies over!so pretty easy to do/have done.good luck!

Comment

Thanks Kwoffa, im going to have to put some time into the research, I might start with the head unit and roof speakers and see how it goes from there !
      Those Becker units are hard to come by !
      I was considering a blaukpunkt hamburg, plenty around and I think will suit my grey interior.

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
      As far as i am aware the roof mounted speakers as standard are next to useless! i have the hk set up so bass is not a problem,somewhere on here there is a thread with an upgrade to speakers,it involved lots of packing out various gaps surounding the speaker holes ets,maybe an upgrade to a different head unit!lots of us have gone for different types of Becker units as the still look oem,when i took mine in to have my headunit changed the chap did not find it impossible to swap the roofies over!so pretty easy to do/have done.good luck!

Comment

hey mate,
        try this thread:
        http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showth...light=speakers

Personally, having replaced in both front and rear with same sizes, I'd try to go up a size in the rear. The cavity is big enough.

Comment

Thanks Bruski, i will start looking for some 6" for the roof, see how that goes before messing with the fronts, assuming the roofs are easier to replace.

Comment

some more info here,

http://www.talkaudio.co.uk/ipb/index...upe-with-pics/

Comment

the rear roof speakers are useless. Replace the front ones in the footwells
              with same size quality speakers (no halfords bs....go for JL, MB Quart, Rockford Fosgate etc). The tweeters are ok and replacing them involves removing the door cards which is a pain. Add a small 2 channel amp (there is plenty of space to hide it next to the battery) and add a quality 8" subwoofer in a proper custom enclosure (a quality sub will always come with instructions which size enclosure will get the best of it) and you are sorted. I run two Rockford Fosgate 8" competition subs through Helix 400 amp and this is actually too much. One will be more than enough (Try JL 8w7...a bit $$$ but just awesome...I run JL 6w3 in my viper)

Comment

Originally posted by oxam View Post
                the rear roof speakers are useless. Replace the front ones in the footwells
                with same size quality speakers (no halfords bs....go for JL, MB Quart, Rockford Fosgate etc). The tweeters are ok and replacing them involves removing the door cards which is a pain. Add a small 2 channel amp (there is plenty of space to hide it next to the battery) and add a quality 8" subwoofer in a proper custom enclosure (a quality sub will always come with instructions which size enclosure will get the best of it) and you are sorted. I run two Rockford Fosgate 8" competition subs through Helix 400 amp and this is actually too much. One will be more than enough (Try JL 8w7...a bit $$$ but just awesome...I run JL 6w3 in my viper)
                that mean you wanna sell one of the 8" subs? ;-)
                Last edited by Bruski_11; 15-07-2011, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bruski_11 View Post
                  that mean you wanna sell one of the 8" subs? ;-)
                  i think it means, he wants to show us pics of the VIPER!!!

Click here to email me

Comment

Decided to swap the front speakers first, either dls or db audio components, do a straight swap first of all, powered from the headunit which i am probably going to replace with a becker grand prix when i see one with a red display at a reasonable price, then i will look for an amp and sub, probably mounted on the boot shelf if i can find a sub that will fit well, looked at a couple of underseat subs that might fit the bill, a bit of sound deadening and new wires, should do the trick.
                    Going to leave the back speakers (just fade them out) after advice here and elsewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by indy View Post
                      i think it means, he wants to show us pics of the VIPER!!!
                      as requested...one of these days will do a proper photoshoot...and if you ask, yup, I have been palying with the idea to respray the zm yellow ;)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

would look good, no? :)

Comment

Viper looks great!

Id never guess what your favourite colour is though...!
                        2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Working...
                        X