No announcement yet.

Internal Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just heard from the engineer and the crank is cracked.
    So, new crank, new rods, new bearings, new oil pump, new belts, new bolts, then a remap.OOF!

Combined with the referendum result, I'm getting drunk tonight, albeit cheaply.

Comment

Originally posted by _G_ View Post
      Just heard from the engineer and the crank is cracked.
      So, new crank, new rods, new bearings, new oil pump, new belts, new bolts, then a remap.OOF!

Combined with the referendum result, I'm getting drunk tonight, albeit cheaply.

new engine or rebuild ?

Comment

going for a rebuild, as I know what it is and where its been. Im not likely to sell her anytime soon, but if/when I do, I want the numbers to be consistent and will be able to vouch for the engine and reflect that in value. However do not think it is a financially driven decision, Im mainly going this route as I plan to put some fairly hot miles on the car in the future; also this way I can be sure of my internals for future upgrades/remap possibilities. We are pushing for 340bhp.

Comment

Originally posted by _G_ View Post
          going for a rebuild, as I know what it is and where its been. Im not likely to sell her anytime soon, but if/when I do, I want the numbers to be consistent and will be able to vouch for the engine and reflect that in value. However do not think it is a financially driven decision, Im mainly going this route as I plan to put some fairly hot miles on the car in the future; also this way I can be sure of my internals for future upgrades/remap possibilities. We are pushing for 340bhp.

You may be pleasantly surprised. Mine producing 352-4 bhp after each remap.
          Strongstrut CL front brace-Yellowstuff pads/Castrol SRF race brake fluid-Rogue top mounts/Rear support bushes-H&R ARBs-Whiteline droplinks-Bilstein Sport shockers-H&R Springs-Black Halo Angel Eye headlight units-Sachs lightweight flywheel/matching clutch-Supersprint exhaust/race catalysers-BBS RSGTs with Falkens-K&N High Flow Air Filter-Recaro Pole Position seats - Exdos mod - ACS flippers

Comment

Do it did spin the shells or just wear through to the copper? A spun shell is classic of the recall.

A long shot, but it can't hurt to ask BMW about this.

Comment

Shouldn't need rods
              Dependant on mileage

Hone and rings. Or Pistons
              Schlick cam
              Lightweight fly wheel
              And if the engines out. Why not fit a 6 speed box
              [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Originally posted by coupe fan View Post
                You may be pleasantly surprised. Mine producing 352-4 bhp after each remap.
                That would be nice!

Comment

Originally posted by ragerover View Post
                  Shouldn't need rods
                  Dependant on mileage

Hone and rings. Or Pistons
                  Schlick cam
                  Lightweight fly wheel
                  And if the engines out. Why not fit a 6 speed box

one of the rods was damaged, hence the new set. Crank is cracked. Yes to the flywheel. Looked at the cam, but not sure its really worth it, bang for buck...

6 Speed is a bit of a wide departure for this car I think, uk values usually depend on originality.

Thought about Stroking it seeing as the crank is gone, but again, its a bit of a wide departure from originality. If it was an early s50 then maybe, or if it was just an e46 M3 then yes.
                  Last edited by _G_; 28-06-2016, 08:40 AM.

Comment

I believe that the 5 speed box is generally considered stronger than the 6 speed box. Frankly, I have never seen the point of 6 ratios anyway. 1 to 4 and overdrive has always been fine by me.
                    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Fifth gear in the Z3MC 'box is direct, no overdrive.

I thought the 6-spd 'box wouldn't fit without tunnel mods?
                      Last edited by rsk289; 28-06-2016, 06:25 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X