S54 Shell Bearing Concerns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
    I've been using Autohaus Diagnostics for servicing and repair of my S50 since buying it. Always very knowledgable and trustworthy. Based near York.

http://www.autohausdiagnostics.co.uk
    Thanks Tony, I'll give them a call.

Think my first port of call might be to speak with the main dealer if for no other reason that to remind myself why I don't use them!
    2002 Z3M S54 in LSB

Comment

Originally posted by Taegukman View Post
      Mine has done 67k and has a full and comprehensive (so I thought) BMW service history. Planning to do an inspection 1 at BMW so will ask them to look into this too and see what they say.
      So had a chat with BMW (Vines). This is what they said: "You do not need to be concerned about the bearing shells, unless you have any specific problems with the running of the engine we wouldn’t ever replace these"

Luckly, I do not have any problems at all but I think I will be a bit paranoid from now on.

Comment

I enquired with BMW Murketts in Huntingdon about 4 years ago, they said the same...

Comment

I really cant see any BMW dealer saying its worth changing as it would be admitting to a problem that they think was cured by the lower rev limit on the M Coupes

Comment

Originally posted by Taegukman View Post
            So had a chat with BMW (Vines). This is what they said: "You do not need to be concerned about the bearing shells, unless you have any specific problems with the running of the engine we wouldn’t ever replace these"

Luckly, I do not have any problems at all but I think I will be a bit paranoid from now on.
            I agree with Vines from personal experience. As said before, I have 240K miles on mine without such issue. Regular oil changes and treat engine with mechanical sympathy are the keys to long life. Principles apply to many things.
            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
              I agree with Vines from personal experience. As said before, I have 240K miles on mine without such issue. Regular oil changes and treat engine with mechanical sympathy are the keys to long life. Principles apply to many things.
              As someone who is currently dealing with the fallout of a bearing failure, I have read around and would have to disagree. Mine has low-ish miles, and an exemplary maintenance record. According to many of the forums, and my Indy garage, its a luck thing. Some engines go, some don't. Most people are saying that a bearing change around 50-60k miles is a sensible preventative measure in the face of the cost of a new engine/rebuild.

However, I am no engineer, or expert, just regurgitating assimilated info.

Comment

My experience of main dealers suggest that they wouldn't really know this information, infact most advisors haven't seen an M Coupe before. This is not a regular problem that an advisor of the new school would be taught.

Speak to any decent independent (like CPC) and I am sure they will tell you differently, but what do they or I know..

...I know of 3 S54 engines with sub 60k miles that have shell bearing failures.

No pressure to change them, as previously said there is no signs of it going other than...it going and they may never go..

Ian - of course, the more services the better and mechanical sympathy will always aid longevity. Perhaps yours where changed under warranty.

My BSL. Breadvan Sport Lightweight.

S54 - 18" BBS RS GT/KW V3/H&R/Rogue TM/AC Schnitzer Flippers/Brembo Calipers/CSL Discs/PFC Pads/20mm Spacers/Carbon Fibre Roof/Fibreglass Bonnet/Fibreglass Boot/Lexan Window/Custom Cages Roll Cage/Lithium Battery/Recaro Pole Positions/Schroth Harness/Randy Forbes Braced Floor/Airbags Delete/Lightweight Door Cards/UUC EVO3 Short Shift Kit/E34 M5 Clutch/UUC Single Mass Flywheel/Vibra Technics Competition Engine Mounts/3.46 Diff/Prospeed Exhaust/200 Cell Cats/Strong Strut Brace/ESS+ASA Supercharger Kit/Alpha N/497bhp - 1315KG

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsG View Post
                  My experience of main dealers suggest that they wouldn't really know this information, infact most advisors haven't seen an M Coupe before. This is not a regular problem that an advisor of the new school would be taught.
                  I couldn't agree more. When I was buying, the emissions warning light was on. The BMW diagnosis at their Milton Keynes dealership (which has a big ///M sign on the front) was a faulty vanos unit despite it having already been changed, by them 6k miles previous. Their solution? New vanos, cost £7000. CPC retimed the unit at a cost of £350.

Comment

Originally posted by KnightsG View Post

Speak to any decent independent (like CPC) and I am sure they will tell you differently, but what do they or I know..

...I know of 3 S54 engines with sub 60k miles that have shell bearing failures.

No pressure to change them, as previously said there is no signs of it going other than...it going and they may never go..

Ian - of course, the more services the better and mechanical sympathy will always aid longevity. Perhaps yours where changed under warranty.
                    Can't say for certain but bought car from main dealer with 20K miles, FSH etc and no mention of such.
                    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                      240k!!!! Bravo...
                      S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Thanks, it will be run in soon!

Comment

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
                          Any chance of telling who and roughly how much?
                          Sorry, I missed this.

It's part of a bigger load of work I need(want) doing, but looks to be just under a grand all in. That's at ML.

Still don't know if I'm going to get it done though. Cost is a factor, of course, particularly as I only do about 2k a year tops. And I can't decide whether to go ARP or OEM(recommendation is ARP incidentally).
                          When you read about it, the conversation inevitably descends into 'why wouldn't you get uprated if you could' with just the odd person maintaining that it's only the bearings that are the issue, the bolts are fine.

So it's a tough conclusion to instruct someone to take a grand off you to spanner around on your engine without knowing it's necessary, or being 100% on the parts.

Comment

Thanks for the info - I might give ML a shout in the next few weeks just to see what they can do. As I understand it, BMW can't supply the original big end bolts so the old ones must be reused in the original positions. Doesn't sound entirely clever to me, as they'll be re-stretched.

Roger

Comment

Well I've just had a quote from them using all oem As I can't find any issues with the uprated BMW parts and treat the car to nicely to need feel the need for further uprated bits. They didn't mention any trouble getting the parts.
                              Be interested to hear if the message is the same for you.
                              Last edited by Seca Blue; 14-07-2016, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Yes, message the same, and a rough quote of around £900. Booked in second week of August.

Comment

Working...
                                X