Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > Z3MCoupé.com Forums > M Coupe Journals
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2017, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave P View Post
What's the Dinitrol a spray liquid?
Quote:
Originally Posted by c_w View Post
I've not used the convertrust but the 3125 wax is a spray, comes with a long straw nozzle and is great for spraying wax in to box sections etc. It drys a brown waxy colour. I soaked the sills and behind arch/wing/sills on mine with it.
The converust is a spray too. I put some inside the sills before topcoating with the 3125 just in case there was any surface rust in there. I got a multidirectional spray adaptor to make sure it coated everywhere (hence taping up every other hole and covering the lower part of the doors)

Old 12-05-2017, 07:31 PM

Good to know. I think most of whatever rust you may have on the outside of the chassis rail sills is caused by the sill covers rusting from the inside and it starts at certain areas on the rail too. I can't see the inside of those rails rusting, looks like metal fit for a tank
Old 18-05-2017, 06:24 PM

Fitted new KWv3 suspension recently. Taking a lead from others I set up as follows:

Rear bump is 5 1/4 turns from full soft (full soft is fully anti-clockwise)
Rear rebound is 2 clicks from full soft
Front bump is 8 clicks from full soft
Front rebound is 7 clicks from full soft

Had a play with ride height and eventually settled on not using the KW adjusters but replaced standard spring pads with new thicker ones from dealer. The ride is truly excellent and I think I've got the stance pretty much spot on too

Old 19-05-2017, 06:51 AM

Ian, I've never quite worked out where the adjusters are for the kws. I know stiffness on the front is at the top, but where is the rest?

Car looks great by the way
Old 19-05-2017, 11:27 AM

Ian,

Can I ask why you didn't use the KW height adjusters?

I have them on mine, but to get the ride height acceptable the springs look virtually coil bound. Consequently the rear is quite hard over speed bumps etc.

Did you just use the KW springs and a BMW pad? If so can you let me know part number of your springs and the BMW pad as I might consider doing the same.

Having written that and thinking about it, to get the height I want (similar to yours) I am not sure whether loosing the adjusters actually gains you anything. I need to get my head under the car and remind myself how it all works.

I don't suppose you can photograph your rear springs when the vehicle weight is on them?

Thanks,

Jon
Old 19-05-2017, 08:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mnbrennan View Post
Ian, I've never quite worked out where the adjusters are for the kws. I know stiffness on the front is at the top, but where is the rest?

Car looks great by the way
KWv3s have adjustment at the top of the strut (rebound) and at the bottom (bump) both front and rear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Bmw View Post
Ian,

Can I ask why you didn't use the KW height adjusters?

I have them on mine, but to get the ride height acceptable the springs look virtually coil bound. Consequently the rear is quite hard over speed bumps etc.

Did you just use the KW springs and a BMW pad? If so can you let me know part number of your springs and the BMW pad as I might consider doing the same.

Having written that and thinking about it, to get the height I want (similar to yours) I am not sure whether loosing the adjusters actually gains you anything. I need to get my head under the car and remind myself how it all works.

I don't suppose you can photograph your rear springs when the vehicle weight is on them?
Yep, I've just used the KW spring and a thicker spring pad. Equates to probably half the height of the KW base plate and adjuster combined. I did try it with the original spring pad only but that was just too low. I'll try and get some pics from under the car at the weekend. I did take picture of spring pads for comparison though:

Side on profile

Old 19-05-2017, 08:11 PM

Ian,

Thanks. That is sat absolutely perfect in my opinion. It looks great. The small amount of rake is excellent.

Jon
Old 21-05-2017, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Bmw View Post
Car sits like this on thicker pads:

Old 22-05-2017, 07:43 AM

Thanks for the photo.

I remember my two "middle" coils being like yours (almost coilbound), but I need to check the others.

Tags
journal