Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Faulty Outside Temperature Gauge

Afternoon Chaps,

No doubt this has been covered but i have a intermittent fault with my Outside Temp Gauge. It will occasionally jump around and won’t seem to go over 10 Deg.

Now i know i leave in the north of England but the sun does come out every now and again with temps higher than 10deg

Is it likely to be the gauge/wiring/sensor in the rear arch ?

Cheers

Adz
    Previous: Silver s50 Mc
    Previous: Yellow s50 Mc
    -------------------------------------------
    Current: Estoril S50 Mc

You could first try giving the sensor a clean/wire brush as they can get rusty and are very expensive to replace. The sensor is in the drivers rear wheel arch below the petrol filler.

Comment

Comment

Also check the contacts in the connector. The connector is prone to moisture ingress that corrodes the contacts and gives spurious readings - I suspect that's where your problem is Adz. Give them a clean and you should be sorted
        1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

Cheers gents will give it a go at the weekend.
          Previous: Silver s50 Mc
          Previous: Yellow s50 Mc
          -------------------------------------------
          Current: Estoril S50 Mc

Comment

Mine hasn't worked since I bought the car, so this thread has reminded me to tackle it and check those connectors.
            S50 M Coupe

sigpic

Comment

Stripped mine today as it had been erratic since I bought the car, as I suspected the contacts were corroded.... A quick clean with contact cleaner and emery paper and it's working perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                You could first try giving the sensor a clean/wire brush as they can get rusty and are very expensive to replace. The sensor is in the drivers rear wheel arch below the petrol filler.
                Mine (8/99 S50) is in the o/s front corner - beneath the headlight unit.

Comment

Originally posted by FEP View Post
                  Mine (8/99 S50) is in the o/s front corner - beneath the headlight unit.
                  There is a thermal switch for the headlight washers located at the front but the sensor for the temperature as standard is in the rear offside wheel arch

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                    There is a thermal switch for the headlight washers located at the front but the sensor for the temperature as standard is in the rear offside wheel arch
                    Curious. I have no headlamp washers, but I do have a sensor (same as in your picture) underneath the o/s headlamp.

Now to be fair, the gauge does not work! The selling dealer fitted a new sensor (at as you say, not inconsiderable cost) and I presumed that he had some idea what he was doing. I had assumed that the problem was dodgy connections behind the gauge.

Comment

Thanks for posting this
                      Very useful and once I got the inner wheel arch off I followed your advice
                      Cleaned the sensor and the connection
                      Hey presto working again
                      Cheers for the advice

Comment

Originally posted by Doctor freeze View Post
                        Thanks for posting this
                        Very useful and once I got the inner wheel arch off I followed your advice
                        Cleaned the sensor and the connection
                        Hey presto working again
                        Cheers for the advice

Welcome to the forum always good when its a cheap fix

Comment

Just had the same problem, the sensor was fine but the plug pins needed cleaning up. Went from no reading to normal now!

Comment

Working...
                          X