Crashy front end

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by stevez3m View Post

Spooks, the bushes are the one's described earlier in the thread, number 6 in the diagram (I think)
    Cheers Steve. Following my service I think these will be on the list of items to address next on mine.

Are they a DIY job?
    Last edited by Spooks; 04-12-2013, 10:18 PM.
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

For the tailgate struts try SGS Engineering, £15 + vat.
      Good quality & service.

Ewan
      Estoril blue S50 - 2000: Bilstien B8's, Spax adjustables, H&R springs, H&R anti-roll bars, Rogue top mounts, Tints, M5 alloys, Simota, Supersprint, ACS splitters.

Comment

With the struts from SGS make sure you get the short ends! as the long ones make the hatch to high!!

Comment

Originally posted by MCEwan View Post
          For the tailgate struts try SGS Engineering, £15 + vat.
          Good quality & service.

Ewan
          +1

I replaced mine a couple of years ago with slightly higher pressure items from SGS and they are spot on Keith's original thread on them is here: http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9321
          Last edited by Fat Tony; 05-12-2013, 08:59 AM.
          Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
          ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
          Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Originally posted by Fat Tony View Post
            +1

I replaced mine a couple of years ago with slightly higher pressure items from SGS and they are spot on Keith's original thread on them is here: http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9321
            While I find the struts good quality, I think they may also have a negative side, that they can push the tailgate too high - even with short ends fitted. This could then have an adverse affect on the cabling leading into the tailgate via a rubber grommet which overtime may have become brittle and has little give. This can then lead to cables breaking and causing failure with wiper arms, locks etc.

Comment

Originally posted by guido View Post
              While I find the struts good quality, I think they may also have a negative side, that they can push the tailgate too high - even with short ends fitted. This could then have an adverse affect on the cabling leading into the tailgate via a rubber grommet which overtime may have become brittle and has little give. This can then lead to cables breaking and causing failure with wiper arms, locks etc.
              I thought they had cured this with the shorter units?

Comment

Originally posted by guido View Post
                2 years of use and so far no such problem and I don't notice the boot lid opening any further than with the OE struts in place. My head however is in far better condition.

If it's a concern though, they can make the struts to any length you request.
                Not actually in the least bit fat

2000 S50 Titanium Silver / Black
                ACS Suspension, Exhaust & Type III Wheels
                Simota carbon air intake | Strong Strut Front Brace

Comment

Just ordered 2 struts from SGS, apparently they are now made to OEM spec...length/pressure and still just £42 posted
                  Hope to be fitted by the weekend and tick another job of the list.
                  thanks for the info guys

Comment

I fitted mine a few years back now,and are still going strong,slightly higher pressure than OEM.and on fitting the hatch was very high! phoned SGS and they just sent me some of the shorter chrome ends...job done!!! fitting was a little bit different,but nothing major,,,

Comment

Originally posted by stevez3m View Post
                      Just ordered 2 struts from SGS, apparently they are now made to OEM spec...length/pressure and still just £42 posted
                      Hope to be fitted by the weekend and tick another job of the list.
                      thanks for the info guys
                      Guted wish i was aware of this before heading over to Coopers for their rip off prices, never mind i want to keep everything as "factory" as possible.

As for stretched tailgate cables i done some investigation into this when changing my boot lock actuator:

If you remove the interior panel just inside the tailgate to the left pillar you will see the tailgate wiring loom held in place by some guide clips, i found that these are pulled way to tight into the body from the factory (might be done by the same bloke who welds the boot floors!) you can simply slide it upwards through the guide clips to give some excess cable to allow for tailgate movement. i then wrapped the exposed section that goes through the rubber guide in OEM fabric tape to strengthen, this also allows flexibility unlike electrical tape.

Remove panel by first unscrewing the plastic guide bit that the boot cover sits in, then there is another small plastic panel section to be pulled off (straight movement towards you) this will reveal another screw behind it and then the fabric covered panel can be prised off. (two clips at top holding panel in place)
                      This should be as far as you need to go to pull the loom through by an inch or so, or you could chase it further into the body by removing more panels but i didn't need to.

Comment

Working...
                      X