Tail light not working - advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tail light not working - advice

One of my tail lights stopped working this week. I've swapped the bulbs, and the bulb holders and no joy.
    Took the cluster out and none of the wire connections are broken that I can see.

Any advice/ anyone solved this problem before? Bmw wanted to sell me a new cluster which seems over the top.

Thanks

You could do with checking to see if you have any power at the loom connector - which side is not working?

Last edited by Dave P; 20-09-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

Good call, Dave.
      No, can't detect any power. I am getting a tad concerned by the electrics as the internal lights stopped working a month or two back. The fuse had blown and I changed it - the new one blew immediately. I think it may have to go off to someone more qualified than me

Comment

May be worth checking the tailgate wiring which is known to cause problems,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9031

Comment

Just in case this saga helps someone with similar problems.....

....So I eventually gave up trying to fix myself as it is well beyond me. By the time I'd taken it to munich legends the interior lights, the tail lights and then the speedo/ rev counter lights had failed.
          They have diagnosed the problem as a faulty ZKE module.
          I've got no idea what this is or what it does but they are unavailable from BMW so ML are trying to source one from elsewhere.

I'll keep you posted...

Comment

I would think BMW will still supply? maybe something like the general module 61358387528
            Last edited by Dave P; 10-01-2015, 11:37 AM.

Comment

An update of this sorry tale......

So ML have had the car for 3 months trying to source a ZKE module. Every week BMW Germany give a dispatch date and then change it. None in stock anywhere. They have also tried traders and breakers.

If anyone has swapped their engine and has a factory ZKE or knows how I could source one, please let me know.

Real bummer as I'm missing the car after all this time

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZ View Post

So ML have had the car for 3 months trying to source a ZKE module. Every week BMW Germany give a dispatch date and then change it. None in stock anywhere. They have also tried traders and breakers.

If anyone has swapped their engine and has a factory ZKE or knows how I could source one, please let me know.

do you know the part number ?

Comment

Number is 8353508, this part here: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/61318353508/

I also had it failed and replaced. I've noticed it must be it because a slight thump on it got the lights working again (but also had some interior light fail).

Comment

Originally posted by BlueZ View Post

Originally posted by inside View Post
                    Number is 8353508, this part here: http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/61318353508/

I also had it failed and replaced. I've noticed it must be it because a slight thump on it got the lights working again (but also had some interior light fail).

I always thought the zke module controlled the interior lights but not the exterior ones?
                    have they looked at the actual light switch?

Comment

It also controls the exterior lights, because the light-switch is integrated in it. Anyway, I had really weird symptoms - occasionally no interior/instrument lights function, occasionally no left taillight and no left side-marker function... no problems since I've replaced the module!

Comment

Light switch 61318353508

Have you tried eBay? Part available in the US. Delivery about 1-2 weeks.

Comment

8353508 is the actual light switch, according to RealOEM. The body control module (for S54, anyway) is 61358387528. Is this the part ML can't get? I'd have thought this was a pretty crucial part for the car - are BMW, in effect, not supporting these cars any more?
                          Roger

Comment

Originally posted by rsk289 View Post
                            8353508 is the actual light switch, according to RealOEM. The body control module (for S54, anyway) is 61358387528. Is this the part ML can't get? I'd have thought this was a pretty crucial part for the car - are BMW, in effect, not supporting these cars any more?
                            Roger
                            that module is used on a lots of different models so very odd if BMW cant supply or offer alternative?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....ur=1&details=1

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                              that module is used on a lots of different models so very odd if BMW cant supply or offer alternative?

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/partxref....ur=1&details=1
                              That's exactly what I thought...

Comment

Working...
                              X