Alternative seats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alternative seats

Hi all. I am considering replacing my seats. My OEM seats are in excellent condition but a dodgy back is making them increasingly uncomfortable.

I've tried all sorts of options with foam inserts/wedges etc but not v successful. I've also tried all options for my back!

I have no idea how to check compatibility of other seats or how universal fittings are. I realise it will be a similar seat - recaro etc - but that doesn't mean it won't be better for me. Finding ANY car with comfortable seats is a suck-it-and-see affair.

Any experiences??? Thanks in advance

some details here,

http://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8972

Comment

Thanks Dave.

Comment

Out of interest, what inserts have you tried? I've been thinking about trying to do something to improve the comfort of the seats in mine, as I struggle to do more than a couple of hours before my back starts hurting. I don't really want to change the seats, but would be up for modifying them if it's possible.

Comment

Originally posted by pdwarren View Post
          Out of interest, what inserts have you tried? I've been thinking about trying to do something to improve the comfort of the seats in mine, as I struggle to do more than a couple of hours before my back starts hurting. I don't really want to change the seats, but would be up for modifying them if it's possible.
          I've tried bum wedges and lumbar supports after being bent out of shape in a motorcycle vs car head-on a few years ago.

The variety of wedges/cushions I've had were all devised by occupational therapists, often just for the car of the time. All are generally fine for comfy armchair-type seats (daily drive is a CR-V with plenty of adjustment on both front seats) if you avoid shiny leather but none of them have suited the MC because they can't be made secure enough without damaging the seats and THAT is a non-starter for me. Worse, they leave you 'perched' - even modest cornering and you exit stage left/right. Lumbar supports are fine if you can get one tailored to your shape (I was lucky enough to have one from the RAF to compensate for awful aircraft seats) but, again, these can lift you off the seat so you lose contact with the car which can be really unnerving so they need to be very slim. I use a couple of simple towels in the MC now and re-fold differently when I stop for variety. Simple but effective - bloomin' hot though.

My friendly physio's medical advice was to "Either man up, or buy a different car!". He'd also tell you that 2 hours in a seat like the MC's is about as much as anyone should do.

Prob not that helpful?

Comment

I've got a back problem, from an old motorcycle injury too. I do Pilates every day to build and maintain core strength and it keeps the pain at bay if I do my bit.

I know that no two back issues are the same so it's difficult to predict how another person will be, comfort-wise in any particular seat if they have back problems.

I can say however, that the Pole Positions in my MC hold and support me very well and offer the option of different lumbar and seat cushion inserts I believe. If you talk to Recaro UK you will find them helpful if you want to explore those options.

Also you are very welcome to come and sit in my MC for a while to try them.

Comment

Originally posted by fok View Post
              I've got a back problem, from an old motorcycle injury too. I do Pilates every day to build and maintain core strength and it keeps the pain at bay if I do my bit.

I know that no two back issues are the same so it's difficult to predict how another person will be, comfort-wise in any particular seat if they have back problems.

I can say however, that the Pole Positions in my MC hold and support me very well and offer the option of different lumbar and seat cushion inserts I believe. If you talk to Recaro UK you will find them helpful if you want to explore those options.

Can i take it for a two hour Spin too !

Comment

Originally posted by kwoffa View Post
                Can i take it for a two hour Spin too !
                Fully fueled - it'll need to be with that Yank thing in the front....
                2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

Originally posted by fok View Post

Now that is really nice offer - and a great plan. Thanks a lot. I'll pm you sometime if that's OK - where in the country are you?

Comment

Originally posted by NottsLad View Post
                    Now that is really nice offer - and a great plan. Thanks a lot. I'll pm you sometime if that's OK - where in the country are you?
                    I live near Warwick and work in Daventry. I also spend a fair bit of time in Birmingham so the car could be tried at any of those locations.....Feel free to PM me to arrange something.

Kwoffa........You're welcome too, but Sir may find the vehicle a little less Bavarian than one is used to!

Comment

Working...
                    X