Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Headunits

Hi Guys,

Has anyone had any experience of the Becker Sat/nav headunits that are available.

I am debating whether to get one as i am after a new headunit (CD in headunit) and also the caperbility of conecting an Ipod.

Does the BMW Business CD headunit have ipod caperbility? If so, anyone selling one?

Cheers

David
    EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
    Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

no idea on the sat nav units, but i have an alpine head unit with a KCA-420i ipod control box, this fit behind the glove box (where the cruise contol module fits, (i dont have cruise)) now my nano sits nicely in the glove box locked up, and all controls are made via the headunit. It even charges the ipod!

Comment

it was ok, not the best!
      im getting the alpine 5090R its only £180 from £300 online if you have a look!

get a seperate unit for the nav!

Comment

Funny this thread has been started as I was going to start a similar one.

Anyway, I have been debating a flip out screen kenwood which does dvd/cd/mp3 etc - £550 odd

Or there is a JVC face off which has a small screen....£300

I think they both have RCA inputs which would allow sat nav to be run off them.....

So which should i go for?

Comment

I've got one of the older Becker ones - the 7945 I think. I like it because it installs very neatly, with no external antennas or screens. The Becker units were sold in the US at least under the TrafficPro brand as a BMW accessory and there's even a spot under the dash where you can install the antenna and still get a good signal.

You can put a 2GB Compact Flash card in there, which gives you space for about 30 CDs worth of MP3s. The sat nav is definitely not as good as full map display, but I find it to be more than good enough for the relatively light use that I give it.

One really cool feature is voice entry for destinations. You just spell out the name of the place you want to go and it finds it. Much quicker than fiddling around on a keypad, and you can reasonably do it whilst driving.

The Bluetooth support is rubbish, though. I've tried three different phones with it, and it's only been able to pair with one of them. When it worked it was good, but if you're thinking of buying one, make sure you test it with your phone first.

Paul

Comment

hey david, as for your question there is a great write up on

the roadfly site with pictures on the full HKTraffic Pro install. Here is the link.

http://www.davidparis.org/coupe/hktp.html

Comment

Are HK and Becker one and the same company?

Can you change the colour of the screen. Some adverts state red/yellow screen whilst others state Blue/green/red/yellow. does this mean i have a choice of all 4 colours? I just want the red screen.

cheers
              EX: S50 Black with Kyalami Orange/Black Leather. Becker Bluetooth/Ipod HU.
              Now: S50 Black/Black with Ap Racing brakes and Race logic

Comment

you have to choose, i ordered orange but got blue!

Comment

Originally posted by David1975
                  Are HK and Becker one and the same company?

Can you change the colour of the screen. Some adverts state red/yellow screen whilst others state Blue/green/red/yellow. does this mean i have a choice of all 4 colours? I just want the red screen.

cheers
                  Yes - they're both brands of Harmon International. The ones sold in the US as TrafficPro came in matching BMW orange. My one's green (I bought it off ebay, but I don't think there was a choice on the one I bought). It annoyed me for a bit that it didn't match, but I got over it...

You'll need to buy a wiring adapter if you do go for it - and I had to modify it in order to keep the GPS bit happy. If you buy one, let me know and I'll see if I can dig out the details of what I had to do.

Paul

Comment

with the wiring loom, if you get a normal BMW wiring adaptor, you need to get a piece of wire (& plugs) put in to join up the speed connector from the car to nav unit.
                    any good car stereo place (not halfords) will do it for you for a couple of quid, do this as it will save you cutting apart the wiring from the car!

Comment

Yeah. On my one, I also had to ground a direction sensor pin. You're meant to wire it to the reverse light line, but I couldn't be bothered with that. I did a DIY job and bought a wiring harness, and bought some extra pins from BMW to add to the harness.

Paul

Comment

You mean this?

Don't think there is any space for compact flash in mine and it doesn't accept voice prompts. I'm also not aware of any Ipod adaptors for it (if anybody knows of one please let me know). The big drawback for me of this unit is that you have to have the nav cd in the head unit before you can calculate a route. Then you can take it out and play a normal cd. I have all the wiring for an autochanger in the boot as standard but I've tried two diffrent autochangers off Ebay now and none of them worked. The first one was for Becker head units but the connectors were different. The second was a BMW 6 disc changer which fits the connectors but the head unit doesn't respond to it at all!

Might be worth bearing this in mind if you get one. I find the sat nav function not quite as easy as my TomTom but it's much easier to get map updates for free for the Becker one and it has a far superior range of POI's built in.
                        Black 02 reg S54 M Roadster

Comment

Yeah. I've got the Becker 7945 http://www.caraudiodiscount.com/acat...affic_pro.html but I think there's a fair bit in common between the various TrafficPro/Becker sat nav units. I used fitting instructions for the TrafficPro off the internet.

The newer Becker Cascade units have an optional iPod interface.

Paul

Comment

my becker head unit, looked like that.
                            as for the ipod you can just get the denison cable, they do also do a normal from becker!

that will go straight in!

Comment

Working...
                            X