Z3MCoupe.com Forums

Go Back   Z3MCoupe.com Forums > M Coupé Technical > Technical Discussion
HOME Gallery Register Members List Calendar Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 17-04-2018, 04:01 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattH3764 View Post
the anorak in me couldn't help but look. I could only find a US ETM so worth checking in a Euro one. But the connector in there for the CD changer is X18180, a 3 pin black connector with the 3 pins all in a line next to each other. From your pic that may well be the one.

It gets power via pin 2 from Fuse 9, and is connected to the stereo via pin 3 - which joins up with pin 7 on the stereo harness. Hope all this helps.
Thanks Matt that's really helpful, it appears to be the ibus type connection for the US market cd changer for some reason, what I need to find out is whether they used this in UK cars with some kind of adapter or used a separate cable for the power to the UK spec cd changer A.

If anyone is taking their rear trim out can they look for me as there appears to be no info online regarding retro fitment of a cd changer for the M Coupe. I have been told by a forum member there is a separate cable for power attached to the audio loom but not sure if this is the same one I have with the wrong connector?

Last edited by Dave P; 17-04-2018 at 05:50 PM.
Old 18-04-2018, 07:03 AM

pictures of CD changers on ebay (search on 65128361266) do indeed appear to have two harnesses coming out of the back. The first ends in a white connector that looks like it may join up with your black plug. the second is a much fatter one which I suppose could be a separate power supply.

annoyingly realoem doesn't give a part number when looking for the CD changer on a US car (at least not the year I chose) so I cannot easily tell if that's different.
Old 18-04-2018, 03:17 PM
Administrator

The US cd changer Ai has top plugs,

and the UK cd changer A has two different plugs,

Old 20-04-2018, 06:39 AM

No sure what your wanting to do Dave but the “US” changer that has the two small connectors is the standard BMW one for E46 models, also fitted in E53 X5’s, E39 5 series etc but not sure it would work with your head unit, even if it did you would need the other 6 pin lead that I cannot see in your pictures.
Old 20-04-2018, 12:17 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk View Post
No sure what your wanting to do Dave but the “US” changer that has the two small connectors is the standard BMW one for E46 models, also fitted in E53 X5’s, E39 5 series etc but not sure it would work with your head unit, even if it did you would need the other 6 pin lead that I cannot see in your pictures.

I am looking to wire up my cd changer which currently has been wired direct to the battery and also find out how it was done originally by the factory. I don't think the cd changer ai would work with my RDS pro which is mbus.
Old 26-04-2018, 01:48 PM

Hi Dave

Just checked a wiring diagram that shows the following;

IBus connection from pin 7 of radio, white, yellow & red
Live comes through 20amp fuse number 9 which also feeds the radio at pin 9. The diagram shows the wire is spliced in at some point but doesn’t show where.
The earth is also shared with the radio which is pin 15

Last edited by Walk; 26-04-2018 at 05:28 PM.
Old 26-04-2018, 02:40 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walk View Post
Hi Dave

Just checked a wrong diagram that shows the following;

IBus connection from pin 7 of radio, white, yellow & red
Live comes through 20amp fuse number 9 which also feeds the radio at pin 9. The diagram shows the wire is spliced in at some point but doesn’t show where.
The earth is also shared with the radio which is pin 15
Many thanks

Tags
cd changer, wiring