Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

also painted the fuel rail and plenum,

Comment

So this was with the PJ1 Fast Black Gloss?

Looking good
      Last edited by chopper; 07-04-2012, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by chopper View Post
        So this was with the PJ1 Fast Black Gloss?

Looking good
        yes - the top cover has had more coats so is more wrinkled than the outer surround but should look ok when finished.

Comment

Looks great guys

Just FYI you can get away with regular paint you know, it does not have to be VHT paint.

The OEM finish comes from the cast Alu surface so the recreate the finish just strip back to metal and paint in satin black. Once done use a fine pitched file, lay flat across the legend and remove the paint

Comment

Dave,

Your oil filter housing top looks very clean - have you painted it?

Is the oil filler cap correct for the S50?

Ian
            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
              Dave,

Your oil filter housing top looks very clean - have you painted it?

Is the oil filler cap correct for the S50?

Ian
              the oil filter housing top is new but they still come roughly cast so I hand polished it with some emery cloth, the oil cap is E46 CSL
              Last edited by Dave P; 31-05-2012, 04:00 PM.

Comment

Quick, cheap and easy, makes all the difference...deffo worth doing

Comment

makes a big difference to the engine bay

Comment

use vht paint

Comment

Originally posted by Wania View Post
                      use vht paint

that looks great - how easy is it to remove the 2nd cover?

Comment

How are you guys getting the raised "BMW M Power" lettering looking so good after painting?

Is it a case of a machine sander to remove the new paint on the higher surfaces?

Comment

I used sandpaper and a cork block last time to remove any paint and then finished with wet & dry paper and then metal polish

Comment

The idea is to have whatever abrasive paper (sand paper - wet & dry) wrapped round a flat block of some kind or a file as already mentioned which is comfortable to hold. The rocker cover wants to be fixed to a bench or piece of block board on a workmate so it cannot move about and keep moving the block in the same direction along the top of the rocker cover, don't try to go too fast in case you slip and damage all your good work. Take your time and keep the block/abrasive paper/file level so that the lettering doesn't get a bevelled edge to it. Using a machine sander might be quicker in some peoples eyes but whether it would give the same result as a bit of elbow grease in the manner I've described is debatable. No doubt someone will prove me wrong. Having worked in engineering for the last 39 years this is the method employed to clean up casing faces to take off high spots etc the only diffence being the casing would be the item that moves and the abrasive medium is static.
                            Good luck.
                            Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                            2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                            1986 M635
                            1985 E28 M5
                            1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Superb advice.

I'm off to fetch the workbench out of the garage.

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                                I used sandpaper and a cork block last time to remove any paint and then finished with wet & dry paper and then metal polish
                                Same, with plenty of good old elbow grease.

Comment

Working...
                                X