Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Uninsured drivers - scum. Advice sought.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uninsured drivers - scum. Advice sought.

2 weeks ago, a lady in a banged up Nissan Micra, reversed in my M Coupe, damaging the rear bumper,

After much deliberation, she admitted liability and we swapped details, she produced her insurance docs – all seemed fine.

It now turns out her insurance ran out 8 days previously.

WTF!

I was going to use a third party company to pursue the claim for me in order to ensure that I do not claim through my own insurance.

Since the MID search has come back showing the vehicle as uninsured, I am pretty screwed!

The damage itself is not major, in terms of only requiring a rear bumper repaint, but the bottom line is that I will be out of pocket.

And I certainly don't want to claim through my own insurance!

I have her address etc and am tempted go round there and threaten to inform the Police, who are actually not bothered about this incident - typical. They say that there is not much they can do other than file the incident.

What would you do in this situation?

Thanks

Rags

If you don't want to go face her, then a simple letter would probably tell you which way this is going to go.
    Keep it simple and to the point, make it look as official as possible, and as if you know what you are talking about.
    Could it just be a simple oversight on her behalf, ( we can all dream can't we ).

Good luck mate, Steve.
    2002 phoenix yellow. "V3RY M" lives on, but on another beast.

Comment

go round and have a chat with her, she will probably agree to pay cash if you approach it correctly.

If she is not playing ball then say you are sorry but you will have to get the police involved and maybe pursue it in small claims court.

You should be able to get a good job done for £3-400

let me know if want details of a good paintshop.

Lee
      Ex 'V3RY M - MCoupe track monster'
      New toys

Porsche widebody project

Cayenne Diesel

Comment

Cheers for that guys, i will let you know how I get on.

Comment

If she is driving around uninsured, she will face points on her license and a hefty fine. You can use that to leverage your point across. An alternative is to take her to civil court.

Awooga!!!

2002 Silver Skoda Octavia vRS

Comment

Personally I would have thought the threat of police involvement might be sufficient incentive for her to be nice to you.

Only other point I would make is that I got hit from behind at lights by a van a while ago. By a van that was stationary behind me for a minute or so before his 'foot slipped off the brake'. That was an £1100 insurance job. At first glance, not much damage but on closer inspection you could see that the gaps had increased between bumper and body. Maybe they went over the top, but they replaced the bumper supports etc., plus respray of course.

Comment

Is there not a scheme that you can claim against where you are in an accident with an uninsured party? I thought all insurance companies had to contribute to a central fund which covers people in this instance?

Comment

There is, but it carries a £300 or £400 excess if you ever get round to receiving compensation from them.
                '99 Estoril/Estoril & Black

Comment

Working...
                X