Steering wheel shake on braking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering wheel shake on braking

Another dumb question from me, I'm afraid.
    Not driven the car for a fortnight or so and took it out today. Almost immediately I noticed steering wheel shake under light braking ( quite a lot actually). It's never done that in 4 years
    I drove for 20 miles or so just round and about and I think the shake eased off a bit but was still noticeable.
    Any of you guys had this before ? What's the prognosis?
    Many thanks

Usually this is caused by warped discs, sometimes caused by a slightly seized caliper.

My one series, I just changed over to new discs and it went - seems OK for now

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

Pretty sure it'll be a binding caliper on one side. You'll be able to see which one it is by touching each front wheel - the one with the dodgy caliper will be v.hot!
      1998 ///M Coupe

Comment

^^^ Yep, plus one for this. Needed to replace the front calipers on mine recently for the same reason. Apparently they're prone to it (?)

Nick

Comment

take it for a blast....Hit the brakes a few times,,,stop,jump out,touch front rim with a glove on,then check other side...

Comment

As above the calipers are prone to siezing but from your description sounds more like pad deposits to me. May clean up and vibration goes away with more driving.

IME a siezed caliper can cause vibration when off the brakes as it's binding slightly. When the vibration only appears when the brakes are pressed it's usually the disc has runout or pad deposits.

Comment

Wot Chris says
              He beat me to it
              [GROWING OLD IS COMPULSARY ---- GROWING UP IS OPTIONAL

Comment

Many thanks - as ever. This forum really is excellent for help and advice.
                That reminds me, site donation on the way

Comment

Very true - my judder was constant, and accompanied by some unpleasant noises when cornering!

Nick

Comment

Just to close this out for those of you on tenterhooks as to what happened next................well................it did indeed slowly disappear after a couple of hours driving. So I guess that means pad deposits as cw rightly said.

Comment

Originally posted by c_w View Post
                      As above the calipers are prone to siezing but from your description sounds more like pad deposits to me. May clean up and vibration goes away with more driving.

IME a siezed caliper can cause vibration when off the brakes as it's binding slightly. When the vibration only appears when the brakes are pressed it's usually the disc has runout or pad deposits.
                      Right on the money.

I had this previously with my old z4m - dealer replaced the discs and pads under warranty.

R

Comment

Working...
                      X