New owner. Silver 2000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by c_w View Post
    Creaking could be the rear subframe, a bit different to the e46 but same type of problem. You can buy kits to fix or diy it, proper inspection is done within the boot but requires tools and sound deadening to be removed.

Sills bolt on and off and are prone to rust at front and back.

Aircon most likely to be the condenser.

Hot idle should be a smooth 6/700rpm.
    Thanks. That sounds expensive. Really don't want it to be the subframe. Would something like that not be an MOT failure?
    2000 Z3M coupe, Titansilber Silver with Kyalami/Black seats
    2001 e39 540i, Topaz Blue
    1971 2002tii, Bristol Grey

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
      Re the fuel filler problem there is a tiny drain hole in the rubber sleeve that gets blocked but a thin piece of wire or straightened metal coat hanger should unblock it, pictures need to be "hosted" on another site like flickr etc

Thanks, had another look while waiting to board the ferry. Found the little hole. Nothing handy to clear it but I'll have a go tomorrow.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

https://www.flickr.com/photos/147921.../shares/c4Vh9W

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Welcome to the club.

You've got about 10 months to get it sorted before our Silverstone Classic meet(just so you have something to aim for....;-)).

Incidentally, I have a factory fitted ACS shirt shirt kit and really like it.
          I certainly wouldn't put it back to a standard one, but I guess it depends how
          yours is.

Ar putting all the suspension back because you don't like the ride, or just for originality?

Cheers,

D.
          Last edited by Seca Blue; 26-09-2017, 06:49 AM.
          S54 Seca Blue - ACS Short shift and Exhaust. Luverly.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris W View Post
            Thanks. That sounds expensive. Really don't want it to be the subframe. Would something like that not be an MOT failure?
            It depends how bad it is, if it's just a few "popped" welds they can cause a creak but can't be detected easily from under the car and nothing would look amiss to an MOT tester. That's why you have to take out the bits on the boot floor inside and scrape away the sound deadening to reveal the welds and left chassis rail/boot floor joint seam. But it could just be the boot is rattling

Comment

Originally posted by Chris W View Post
              Another (cheaper) option for the creaking at the rear would be the top mounts. These are a common failure and when they do cause creaking initially and then knocking.

If it is them, it takes a while to fit as you need to strip out carpet etc in rear but it will give you an opportunity to check out the boot floor at the same time.

Lots of thread on them on here
              S50 Black, H&R Arbs/ Springs, B8s, Larini Exhaust

Comment

Originally posted by maph View Post
                Another (cheaper) option for the creaking at the rear would be the top mounts. These are a common failure and when they do cause creaking initially and then knocking.

If it is them, it takes a while to fit as you need to strip out carpet etc in rear but it will give you an opportunity to check out the boot floor at the same time.

Ok cool. I'm taking it round to my local mechanic today to have a look in the boot and put it up on the ramp to see how it's looking.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Originally posted by maph View Post

I just had my top mounts replaced at the same time as the main bushes at the back. My car has done 103,600miles and the drivers side top mount was completely shot and in two pieces. Wouldn't surprise me if yours isn't the same.
                  The change is unbelievable, as said on another post on this site after I had the job done, " The silence is deafening"!!!
                  The valve I had replaced on the engine block was I think £22 plus another £30 to fix, including cleaning up the mess on the undertray etc.
                  Best of luck with getting the car sorted, as mentioned already loads of helpful advice on this forum to assist you.
                  Pete C

2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 805 of 821 RHD built

Previous BMWs

2003 E46 M3 6 speed manual - Carbon Black/Black interior.
                  2000 Z3M Coupe - Cosmos Black Metallic/Black interior. 692 of 821 RHD built
                  1986 M635
                  1985 E28 M5
                  1983 E28 528i Alpina

Comment

Looking good

Comment

Originally posted by Dave P View Post
                      Looking good

Thanks! Turned a few heads on the ferry.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Originally posted by petecossie View Post
                        I just had my top mounts replaced at the same time as the main bushes at the back. My car has done 103,600miles and the drivers side top mount was completely shot and in two pieces. Wouldn't surprise me if yours isn't the same.
                        The change is unbelievable, as said on another post on this site after I had the job done, " The silence is deafening"!!!
                        The valve I had replaced on the engine block was I think £22 plus another £30 to fix, including cleaning up the mess on the undertray etc.
                        Best of luck with getting the car sorted, as mentioned already loads of helpful advice on this forum to assist you.
                        Fingers crossed. I've passed all this info on to my mechanic who has the car now. Thanks for tips.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Thanks for your help and advice. After having a good look around the car we have a game plan.
                          For the last 2 years I have been restoring a 71 BMW 2002tii and any spare funds will be going to finishing that. (Believe it or not, new parts for Z3's are so cheap in comparison!)

Going to give the car a good service next week, sort out the oil leak which turns out to be small and likely to be what you guys where talking about.
                          Then leave the car as is until the 02 is finished, hopefully January/Febuary.
                          Then the fun will begin. We plan to get the car back to original spec.
                          So sort the top mounts.
                          Get rid of the Remus exhaust, BMW ones are pricey so probably get one that looks just the same, a local place 'Street Racer' custom makes them. Apparently they do a great job.
                          Get rid of the hard suspension. It has Bilstein shocks which I suspect are sports plus one, will go to either softer Bilsteins or get new BMW stock ones.
                          The car has Poly bushes fitted all round. Again I suspect these are the firm racing type and not the softer ones. So it would be good the swap these.
                          Get rid of the short shifter, I'm not a fan of the way it feels or looks.
                          New clutch, Its making a slight noise, although feels ok.
                          And then get a respray and get the wheels restored.
                          After all that, it should cost around £5k. Then the car will be A1.
                          Once I get the ball rolling I'll start a build thread in the Journal group and keep you all up to speed on how its all going.
                          Last edited by Chris W; 27-09-2017, 11:15 PM.

Previous

2013 M135i

Comment

Good plan, reverting to virtually OEM is the way to go.

Good luck.
                            S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

Congratulations on the purchase

I've enjoyed reading this thread, this is what a car community should be about rather than some of the bickering which happens on here.

Looking forward to the build thread

Build thread: https://www.z3mcoupe.com/forum/showthread.php?t=19347

Comment

look forward to the rebuild thread

Comment

Working...
                                X