Refreshing suspension

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refreshing suspension

Ive just had a quote for replacing the shock absorbers on the coupe (labour only along with an oil service) which seems reasonable so was thinking I might get on with this next month perhaps. Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions on things to change at the same time?

I already have H+R anti roll bars and spax springs which will be staying for the moment. Was thinking of going with:

Bilstein B8 all round
    Rear Top Mounts - Meyle?
    Front top Mounts?
    New spring pads?

Any other little items to change? Not got a huge budget so don't want to spend too much more but seems silly not too change the little things. Worth taking the boot trim out myself to save on labour?

Also is there any cheap options for exhaust back box hangers ( one of these is making the most annoying squeak over every bump)?

Thanks.

Definitely do the boot trim yourself, follow the guide on here and it's straight forward enough
    2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

As above is a definite... i am not sure about the meyle rear topmounts but would recommend using the rogue engineering ones as when removing shocks next time...no need to remove trim again...noisy rubbers...give em a good spray with Silicone spray not wd40.

Comment

Ive been undecided on the rogue engineering top mounts for a while, seems like a lot of money and not sure I can justify it right now but the other part of me says if your going to do it do it right.

Exhaust rubbers I'm pretty sure one is damaged from when I was fitting the ARB's so will be changing it. Was actually squeaking continuously at idle after a couple of hours run on the motorway, put my foot against the exhaust and it stopped (melted a bit of my shoe though )

Will definitely do the boot trim myself then, I've had it all out a few times before so shouldn't take me long at all.

The rest of the bits best to stick with OEM? haven't had a chance to look into anything other than dampers and rear top mounts so far.

Comment

Depends on mileage but the lollypop bushes are a biggie for some. Really easy as well if you go poly. Steering arms would be my close second.

Comment

Had a closer look at these things now. Looks like it will be:

Bilstein B8 all round - £552 (Amazon)
            Rogue Top Mounts - £112 (Ca-Automotive)
            Spring Pads all round £44 (Coopers)
            Rear Wishbone bush £42 (Powerflex)
            Exhaust Hanger £18.50 (Coopers)

Front "Support Guides" are coming back at 90 odd quid each so I think they'll be fine hopefully. Just need to double check part numbers for the b8's.

Hopefully not missed anything as it all adds up when you take into account an oil service and labour for fitting it all. hopefully the next "service will come in under £1000 lol :cry in:

The other option is to try and fit the suspension myself but I've only got a socket set available to me at the moment but could probably scrounge a jack and axle stands. Any other tools I would need(spring compressor? although if I did it myself I could get new springs and have the whole unit ready to swap and still break even or be better off than paying someone else), and how hard a job is it? Ive done the ARB's so know my way around the suspension alright but wary that its my only form of transport and would have to be done over a weekend. If it wasn't for that and I had a lot of space I would definitely go for it myself.

Comment

The front top mounts (support guides?) are expensive from BMW but you can get Lemforder which are OEM spec from ECP or on ebay for half the price of BMW

Comment

[QUOTE=alanw89;145950]Had a closer look at these things now. Looks like it will be:

Bilstein B8 all round - £552 (Amazon)
                Rogue Top Mounts - £112 (Ca-Automotive)
                Spring Pads all round £44 (Coopers)
                Rear Wishbone bush £42 (Powerflex)
                Exhaust Hanger £18.50 (Coopers)

Front "Support Guides" are coming back at 90 odd quid each so I think they'll be fine hopefully. Just need to double check part numbers for the b8's.

Hopefully not missed anything as it all adds up when you take into account an oil service and labour for fitting it all. hopefully the next "service will come in under £1000 lol :cry in
                The other option is to try and fit the suspension myself but I've only got a socket set available to me at the moment but could probably scrounge a jack and axle stands. Any other tools I would need(spring compressor? although if I did it myself I could get new springs and have the whole unit ready to swap and still break even or be better off than paying someone else), and how hard a job is it? Ive done the ARB's so know my way around the suspension alright but wary that its my only form of transport and would have to be done over a weekend. If it wasn't for that and I had a lot of space I would definitely go for it myself.[QUOTE]

It's not a bad job to do , basic nuts and bolts mechanics , I did mine without spring compressors , shorter springs almost fit , make sure you have a mate to help you and get him to push down on them while you run the nut on , that's the way I did it , though I did the compressing because matey only has one hand , if we can do it with 3 hands I'm sure you can with 4 !
                Just make sure you have the correct parts if it's your only car , I had the wrong springs and had to wait a couple of days for replacements .
                Good luck

Comment

Looks like I've talked myself in to doing it myself then. will be on my own so spring compressors will be needed but money spent on tools is always an investment.....

Ordered an exhaust hanger and all the spring pads today so will start to collect all the bits and make sure I've got everything before I start.

Went down to ECP but they don't do the front top mounts anymore, guessing these are the ones?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Z3-E...item258b6a69b7

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/BMW-3-Z3-E...item23379faf04

Also had a look underneath and the rear wishbone mounts are already power flex so can cross them off the list.

Comment

Working...
                  X