Brake vibration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake vibration

Last year, my front discs were replaced by the indy I use, and have a high level of confidence in. A month or so later, the discs were vibrating again and I took the car to a main dealer who replaced them under warranty and the tie rods and wishbone bushes.

Car was better for a while but the vibration (on braking) returned. Since then have had full suspension replaced with oem, replaced a front brake caliper, new pads (again), a couple of wheel alignments and wheels (all 4) balanced twice. Car just returned from having most bushes replaced (control arm rear mounts, rear axle beam bushes, final drive rubber mount) and another wheel alignment and brake fluid change. The handling is now taught but, the car still vibrates through the steering wheel on braking. It's not major, but it's not right!

My indy seems to be out of ideas (so am I) and has suggested changing wheel bearings although there is no obvious problem with them (noise etc). Could of course be warped discs again (but third set?).

I would just have the discs replaced again if this would solve the issue but i'm not confident in this.

Any thoughts/ideas/experience would be greatfully received.

Cheers,
    Ian
    S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

try re bedding them , 60 mph then brake hard to 10 mph , repeat it half a dozen times , it worked for me once with a car with same style discs , and at least its free !

Comment

What pads are you using?

If it only wobbles under braking it IS the brakes. Brake desposits are the most liekly culprit, and standard spec pads can have a habit of doing this (as do many performance pads) - it can often be luck if you suffer from it but a pad like EBC Yellowstuff are a very reliable road pad that stay smooth IME. The problem is starting off with a clean surface to make sure the vibfation doesnn't just remain there. THe yellows normally have a very rough "bed in" coating which scrapes any old deposits off the discs to ensure they're smooth.
      Last edited by c_w; 27-03-2013, 08:13 PM.

Comment

Thank you. Will try the rebedding idea but not real hopeful about this as i do a fair bit of motor way mileage and generally brake late but hard, albeit not repeatedly.

The pads are OEM CW. Yellow stuff pads have to be worth a try if above fails, thank you.

Ian
        S54 Titan Silver metallic. Black leather, most factory options including sunroof, Becker Cascade and Becker Silverstone changer.

Comment

The Yellowstuff bedding in compound really is rough stuff, it feels like 10 grit paper under your feet for a good few miles!
          2002 '52 S54 - Titanium Silver with 18" BBS LMs, AP Racing BBK, KW V3, H&R anti roll bars & ACS flippers (previously 2000 'X' S50 - Arctic Silver)

Comment

I had a set of rotors that I thought were done for with pad deposits. I managed to clean them up with wet and dry and brake cleaner. A bit ghetto, but it worked and they are vibration free now.

My issue was with EBC Greenstuff pads. Since I switched to Axxis I have not had a repeat of the issue.
            Last edited by siwilson; 29-03-2013, 11:05 AM.

Comment

Greenstuff are notorious for it too. I used them on my 205 as they were great up until you go them too hot, they smeared the discs and you got vibration; I wasalways getting the discs skimmed thinking it was them warped, so after each skim the brakes were smooth for a short time before the deposits came back.

Yellowstuff don't cause this and IME are very good road pads.

Comment

if the re bedding does not cure it you could try the pro cut on car skimming , disc bolted onto the hub and skimmed both sides at the same time so it runs true with the hub and takes out any deflection , it was about a hundred quid last time i had it done

Comment

Ive been running oem callipers,oem discs along with yellowstuff pads..and yup there very good even in the wet i dont think they create that much dust either,gets my vote!

Comment

Thanks Paul. Tried the rebedding today, no significant improvement unfortunately.

Think next step is to have the discs skimmed on the car. Will try and get this done next week.

Thanks again for the comments guys.

Ian

Comment

Had all 4 discs skimmed on car yesterday, new pads and sensors fitted.

Problem solved. Thanks for the steer Paul.

Ian

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                        Had all 4 discs skimmed on car yesterday, new pads and sensors fitted.

Problem solved. Thanks for the steer Paul.

Ian
                        I saw this on one of the wheeler dealer episodes very impressive bit of kit

Comment

Yes, I was very impressed. Its a great and cost effective solution.

Comment

Originally posted by ian View Post
                            Yes, I was very impressed. Its a great and cost effective solution.
                            Glad you got it solved! And without wasting time/money on other suspension bits when the annswer is usually always judder if you get vibration when braking.

Comment

pleased it worked , i was amazed how much the ones i had done ran out , it took 2 runs over the fronts to sort them but the difference was night and day on a track , can i ask what it cost ?

Comment

Working...
                              X