ABS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ABS

Just been out for a fine days driving. Stopped off at the shop on my way home, when I got back into the car the ABS warning light came on. I did'nt do that much heavy braking, so I've no idea what caused it. It's staying on now. Anyone any ideas! :-(
    From Z3 MC to Z4 MC... glad to be back

It may well 'reset' itself after a few miles & various stop / starts. When it came on, did the brake pedal feel any different even momentarily?

Comment

No difference to brake pedal feel when the light came on. Just checked the fuses and they are all OK.

Comment

Had this with an e46 I had,rear wheel abs speed sensor magic eye had died.

Comment

DC,

Most likely to be a either a bust sensor or iron laden crud build-up on the tips of the sensors themselves. I had a rear sensor fail last year at ~ 80k miles, done under warranty.

An indie with a code reader should be able to work it out inside 20 mins easy. Without a code reader most people are limited to doing a basic electrical check of the sensor loop resistances from the ABS ECU plug - look for the odd one out (if any).

What I don't know about the ATE ABS in the Z3MC is if the fault code logged is hard or soft - i.e. will the light simply go out if you fix the fault - without needing a service tool to reset it, or does it really need garage attention in the case of a bust sensor....
          S50: Cosmos Black/Black-Kalyami/HK/Side Air-bags
          Mod: Denison iLink/Sunroof Switch/HIDs/Racelogic

Comment

Car has just done 75K and would you adam & eve it, the warranty expired 7th March. I will try having a look at all the sensors to see if there is any build up of crud. Thanks boys.

Comment

Dale go out find some open road no one behind you and hammer the pedal down hard see if you can lock it up this will give us some more info.

Comment

If the ABS light is on then the ABS won't work. Mine had a faulty sensor which worked every now and then and the light would sometimes be on but sometimes not.

It doesn't require a reset; the light will go out if you change/clean the duff sensor (which is most likely). My right rear sensor went and my local independant hooked it up to tell me which one for £5 and I replaced it myself (from Eurocarparts; listed as E36 Compact NOT general E36 if it's the rear sensor). Really easy to change, an allen key bolt holds it in, just slide it out and unhook the connection.

Comment

Went out again today and the light went off, then came back on, but then went off again and has stayed off. Hopefully it will stay off now. I tried the ABS and it still works ok. Thanks for all the input guys. If it does come back on I will take it to an indy and get them to see what it is. If it's a only a wheel sensor I can change that myself.

Some cracking roads around Bagshot, Aldershot, and Pirbright way :-P
                  Once you've gotten it out of your system a nice cruise back up the M3 or A3 to London.

Comment

Dale, it will keep a history of the fault so it doesn't have to be on at the time when the you get it checked.

Comment

How easy is it to fit some brake pads, got a slight sqeal when I brake. so think i need to change them.

saw some on ebay for 3.2 M Coupe for £27 plus p+p

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...8504&rd=1&rd=1

ANY GOOD ???

Comment

utter wank mate.

Squeaky brakes is part and parcel of some performance pads.

For example, I have ferrodos and without doing much research most people claimed that theirs squeaked.

A mixture of glazing and brake dust.

I find a few hard stops cures it!

Oh and cold brakes seem to be embarrassingly loud from a squeak perspective.

Comment

Rags, have you tried those OMP pads or just going off the low price? (just interested as I've seen those on ebay too!). Though they might be a good alternative instead of OE pads.

Comment

Actually, I have never tried them, but in the car parts game, cheap stuff is always crap.

But I suppose they have gotta be worth a go.

After all, OMP do make Race Gear!

Comment

Working...
                            X