Rear top mount replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Rear top mount replacement

Is replacement of the rear top mounts a straight forward DIY job or one for the pros?

Any advice would be cool.
    Love it hate it Marmite exterior, Jaffa cake interior... Perfect

...interior trim removal is a pain in the ***, but otherwise basic nuts n bolts maintenance

Comment

http://www.ex-parrot.com/~pdw/mcoupe/rsm.html

Paul

Comment

dito for trim being awkward but if you look at the oem site you can locate where and how trim is fixed and it's straight forward really

Comment

For information, i have just fitted my rogue top mounts this morning. Very straight forward but time consuming with all the trim removal. Took me just over 2 hours from start to finish. You do not need to remove the top trim sections and divider end pieces as they can be moved enough without any bending or damage.
          If i wanted to take a damper out now it would only be about a 10 min job!!
          Black S50

Comment

Originally posted by chippy View Post
            For information, i have just fitted my rogue top mounts this morning. Very straight forward but time consuming with all the trim removal. Took me just over 2 hours from start to finish. You do not need to remove the top trim sections and divider end pieces as they can be moved enough without any bending or damage.
            If i wanted to take a damper out now it would only be about a 10 min job!!
            Yep - I think I've lost count of the amount of times I've removed the rear dampers! ( experiementing with different rear setups) but dropping them from underneath is so much faster. I know what you mean about bending the rear trim to fit the top plates - it is just about doable lifting it up and blindly feeling for the top mount nuts. BMW could have made it easier for us (and themselves in terms of working on the car) but incorportaing an access hole/cap on the trim!

Comment

Cheers for the relies guys.

Been without access to the forum for a while. Seems like a fairly straight forward job

I've got a noise that i've tried to convince myself is the rear hatch but think it's a topmount.
              Love it hate it Marmite exterior, Jaffa cake interior... Perfect

Comment

Originally posted by Muppetman View Post
                I've got a noise that i've tried to convince myself is the rear hatch but think it's a topmount.
                I was in that position when my top mounts went - it turned out to be both...

Paul

Comment

Nice one for that write up Paul, very useful and saved me a lot of time over the trial-and-error approach.

It's a very thorough walk-though, although one thing you have missed (which was odd seeing as the rest is so descriptive) is the step where you remove the HK sub and CD changer covering panels, which require you to pull-off from the trim clips.

1.5 hours later and I have a mountain of trim removed (and an aching back), ready to go on the top mounts tomorrow;

How does the soundproofing over the arches/top mounts come out? Just prise away? Looks very tight-fitting, so I can imagine that will be the most difficult part to replace.

Thanks again.

Keith

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Originally posted by -Keith- View Post
                    It's a very thorough walk-though, although one thing you have missed (which was odd seeing as the rest is so descriptive) is the step where you remove the HK sub and CD changer covering panels, which require you to pull-off from the trim clips.
                    Is that not covered by step 4?

How does the soundproofing over the arches/top mounts come out? Just prise away? Looks very tight-fitting, so I can imagine that will be the most difficult part to replace.
                    If I remember right, it just comes away. There are a few places where tabs of the sound proofing are tucked behind bits of metal, and it'd tear if you pull carelessly, but I don't remember either removal or replacement behind particularly tricky.

Paul

Comment

Originally posted by pdwarren View Post
                      Is that not covered by step 4?
                      Yes, you are right - my bad. I had printed the guide off so I didn't keep having to walk inside with snow-covered shoes, and the way it printed missed out that paragraph.

Should have checked.

Thanks for the heads-up on the soundproofing

Ex-Dakar MC Owner - Gone But Not Forgotten

Comment

Just had this done on my car - if your car has never had the top mounts replaced I'd suggest doing it. It's really transformed the rear of the car and sorted my "soggy bottom".....

Comment

Originally posted by W1234 View Post
                          Just had this done on my car - if your car has never had the top mounts replaced I'd suggest doing it. It's really transformed the rear of the car and sorted my "soggy bottom".....
                          Did you replace them with the Rogue engineering ones?

How is your trim now... any more squeaks?

2005, E46 M3 Carbon Black
                          2007, X3 3.0d M Sport

Comment

Originally posted by andrewturner View Post
                            Did you replace them with the Rogue engineering ones?

How is your trim now... any more squeaks?
                            Hi Andrew,

In the end I didn't, for the simple reason that I want to keep the car standard.

The trim was fairly squeek free, but I found some evidence of rubbing of the mating surfaces of the sub and CD changer covers, so I have taped that up. Haven't got all the trim back in yet as I broke a couple of the minor plastic fastenings (as often happens) but went for a drive last night and the back end feels much more planted, and yep - no squeeks!

Comment

Working...
                            X